Send Topic Print
Fuel Injection (Read 51 times)
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel Injection
04/18/22 at 21:38:33

https://ecotrons.com/files/Ecotrons EFI installation manual for Suzuki DR-650.pdf

Hi, I managed to secure 1 of the Hi top pistons from Lancer earlier this year (& for which I am grateful to all involved for the development of) & will hopefully install later this year & have been considering different carby options & came across a  company which is offering fuel injection kits for small engines one of which is specifically for a DR 650 which I'm thinking of giving a go & thought you guys might be interested in checking it out. I have hopefully included a link above. Regards sparkyfxr
(Shed time in this sometimes crazy world is time well spent!)

IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fuel Injection
Reply #1 - 04/18/22 at 22:30:11

I guess I should have included that I'm not considering it for a DR but it might mean that the physicalities are similar & fine tuning of the unit is within the parameters of a modified LS

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/20/22 at 03:51:23

The installation of fuel injection on a Savage would be an interesting project and it could result in a very smooth running and fuel efficient engine.  The popping and banging of the big single would likely be reduced or eliminated.

However - it would become a far more complicated engine and have the potential for more electronic/mechanical problems.  The Savage does not have much excess electrical power - we don't know for sure but the electrical power is limited to somewhere around 100 watts - and after you power the lights and ignition there is only about 15-20 watts to charge the battery (you can increase this a bit by installing LED lights that use less energy).

The carb has the weak points of requiring you to change the jetting to allow the engine to work best where you live - and cannot make adjustment for temperature/humidity/altitude as you ride.  If you live in the valley and jet accordingly - the bike will be too rich when you go riding in the mountains.  When you start the bike you may need to use the enrichment knob, and the idle speed may be a bit low until the engine warms up.  However the carb is pretty simple and is pretty reliable as long as you keep your fuel fresh and clean.

If you want to go the fuel injection route - please do and post the process on this forum so we can watch and learn!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/23/22 at 00:26:41

Just tried to purchase one of the FI systems from the company but they no longer supply them..which is a bummer..but will keep looking

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 04/23/22 at 05:39:06

Use could use a Micro Squirt fuel controller and a TB from an RM450. You have to modify the fly wheel to mount a Hall effect timing sensor.  You will also need an electric fuel pump capable of maintaining 40psi. You could gain some watts back (about 50, or 4amps) from the electrical system by replacing all of the lights with LED.

I’ve been following the progress of a few people modifying DRZ400’s on the Thumper Talk forums. It’s a fairly involved process to fabricate. However, if one of those individuals makes a bolt-on kit, I’ll go that route on my DRZ.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 13:05:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Injection

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!