Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1986 Savage LS650 igniter/starter (Read 42 times)
sodusmike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1986 Savage LS650 igniter/starter
03/21/22 at 19:23:31

I have checked my wiring and integrity seems ok, I cannot get the starter to turn over the motor unless i go direct to the starter with a battery cable. I suspect a faulty igniter.
Is that something that would keep the starter from turning over using the starter switch on the handle bar?
I have a Suzuki shop manual and have tested several components using the manual's specs although I don't have a Suzuki Pocket Tester as suggested in that manual. I am using a DVM from Sears to do my testing with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re:  1986 Savage LS650 igniter/starter
Reply #1 - 03/21/22 at 20:25:24

sodusmike wrote on 03/21/22 at 19:23:31:
I have checked my wiring and integrity seems ok, I cannot get the starter to turn over the motor unless i go direct to the starter with a battery cable. I suspect a faulty igniter.

the igniter or TCI doesn't control the starter.
there is a decomp/starter controller that sits above the carb.
but check 1st that the starter button works, pull the connector from the clutch safety switch and check the voltage on 1 of the wires when you push the starter button.
and the TCI and most of the electronics require at least 10v while the starter is running to work properly.
Quote:

Is that something that would keep the starter from turning over using the starter switch on the handle bar?

the starter signal goes thru several connectors and black boxes before it arrives at the starter... so, yes.
there are access points you can check to make sure the signal is going thru.
clutch safety noted above.
then lets jump to the starter relay and check that you are getting a signal there.
starter relay is under the seat, pull the rubber cap up and pull the wire that's not black with a white stripe up a little so you can check for voltage while pressing the button.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/23/22 at 11:41:50

cannot get the starter to turn over the motor unless i go direct to the starter with a battery cable.

Okay, that proves the starter is okay.
But a jumper cable to the post bypasses the solenoid. Put twelve volts on the solenoid that controls the power to the starter.

Edit,,  I'm starting to think the solenoid Has twelve volts on it already.
The start button provides the ground.
So check the solenoid and see if it has twelve volts on one of the small wires. If it does, stick a ground on the other side.

See what happens.
If nothing happens, check the solenoid out.
If it clicks, check the voltage on the big wire that feeds the starter.
If the internal contact that is supposed to haul all those electrons is nasty you just might see voltage, but no cranking, because it's not passing enough current to make the starter spin.

Make sure your solenoid is getting what it needs from the switch. It's been years since I had to mess with the starter switch, but IIRC, that start button provides the ground to the solenoid. And the other side is always hot. I'm not sure if I'm right, but my advice is always worth, at Least, what you're paying.

When you are hunting through electrical issues, you need to know what you are supposed to have, volts,or ground, you know you don't have the connection between battery and starter to make the starter spin.
So, where can you test for it in between?
If you have a lousy connection between battery and starter, or bad solenoid, you can find it. A meter is a must have, but alligator clips to free up hands are good. Jumper wires can let you drop the test leads and clip your meter in poke a button.

I'd probably disconnect the decompression and get rid of that Click.
If you can prove your solenoid is getting power and ground, the click is enough,, then what is stopping it from carrying power to the starter?

They don't have a bad history at all. But if it was my problem, I'd be working from the solenoid.

When you are jumping to the starter post, are you using the bikes battery?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/23/22 at 12:17:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/22 at 11:41:50:
Edit,,  I'm starting to think the solenoid Has twelve volts on it already.
The start button provides the ground.
So check the solenoid and see if it has twelve volts on one of the small wires. If it does, stick a ground on the other side.

One of the small wires is ground, ground is usually black with a white stripe, so don't jump small wire to small wire and push the button.

One of the big wires is direct connect to the battery.  I think both battery wires are black, so be careful.

I would 1st check for the starter signal from the button to the relay.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/23/22 at 16:18:39

would 1st check for the starter signal from the button to the relay.

Solid advice, that.
But, what signal is the start button supposed to send?
IIRC, remember having an
AhHah moment when I was working on my start button and concluding it supplied a ground to the solenoid.

I know how wrong I might be. But someone needs to tell me I is or I iznt..
Because he needs to know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 03:02:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1986 Savage LS650 igniter/starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.