Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake pads and fluid change.  Which order? (Read 52 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Brake pads and fluid change.  Which order?
03/21/22 at 13:30:16

Going to change the brake fluid and put new pads in.  Better to do the pads first since I'll be pushing the pistons back and that could push more fluid out of the caliper body?  Or doesn't matter?
I've done the pads a bunch but this will be the first fluid change.  No judgement please.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake pads and fluid change.  Which order?
Reply #1 - 03/21/22 at 14:46:57

I would do pads 1st.
but you might want to check fluid level 1st so it doesn't overflow.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/21/22 at 15:12:03

I kind of do it combined.

I remove the metal and rubber caps and get them all cleaned up and dry.

Then I suck the fluid out of the reservoir first with a syringe, then remove the pads and push the pistons all the way in.  With the pistons pushed in there is less volume in the system and it is easiest to flush.  With the pistons in I once again use a syringe to remove as much of the old fluid as I can from the reservoir.

Then I pour new fluid in and start the fluid change.  I use a hand vacuum to pull the new fluid through the system.  Once the new fluid starts coming into the bottle in the vacuum pump I continue for a bit more........topping up the reservoir repeatedly (and I pump the hand lever every now and then.

Once the flushing is done I install the new pads and slowly cycle the hand lever to get the pads pushed out....then fill the reservoir to the level mark on the window (difficult to do on the buckhorn bars as the reservoir is at a steep angle).  Then put on the reservoir cap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-63391.html

If you don't have a vacuum bleed pump.....you need to leave the pads in while you squeeze the lever to move the fluid.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 03/24/22 at 12:29:58

Well, that was easy.  Hardest part was arranging the right props to get the master cylinder level.  I picked up a couple feet of tubing at Ace for less than a buck and already had a big syringe in the garage.  

Put the new pads in and pressed the piston all the way in.  Drew out a bunch of the old (dark beer colored) fluid with the syringe and a short piece of tubing.  Moved the syringe to the rest of the tubing on the bleed valve and drew back to get things moving.  Syringe off and tubing in a glass.  Close bleeder, refilled MC.  Opened the bleed valve again to continue.  Repeat.

Biggest problem was the tubing coming out of my glass, and then I also knocked the glass over.  Both spilling brake fluid on the garage floor  Angry.

Did a couple rounds of bleeding until the lever was super firm.
Easy peasy.

I still don't fully understand what retracts the pads off the disc when the lever is released.  I know the piston moves back in, but I don't get what actually pulls the pads off the rotor.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/24/22 at 12:38:59

It's the master cylinder, when it retracts to refill it pulls it back a little.
It's almost not noticeable with our big piston, but really works well with the smaller dual pistons.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 03/24/22 at 13:28:10

Yeah, but the pads aren't attached to the piston.  So what mechanism pulls the pads back?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/24/22 at 14:32:27

Tocsik wrote on 03/24/22 at 13:28:10:
Yeah, but the pads aren't attached to the piston.  So what mechanism pulls the pads back?

They are hydraulically attached.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:11:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake pads and fluid change.  Which order?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.