Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The one Harley I'd buy ! (Read 93 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
The one Harley I'd buy !
03/17/22 at 20:01:49

If they could keep the weight to 400lbs and price equal to a RE350 Meteor, I'd buy one !
They probably won't !

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/qianjiang-built-353cc-harley-dav...
Cheers!  Cool
ps: does anyone know why modern small to mid-size bikes are so frickin' heavy?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The one Harley I'd buy !
Reply #1 - 03/18/22 at 03:12:42

Can you imagine the mechanics at the Harley Dealer's response when they find out they will need a training seminar to become certified to work on a Chinese built Harley?  Will the "Made in USA" attitude that persists with the Harley faithful be a deal killer for sales?

I believe a Chinese built Harley will be just as big of a disaster as the Livewire is/was.  Folks who want Chinese products are not going to pay the Harley markup.

I think one of the reasons mid sized bikes are so heavy is they are built on a budget and they are using heavy and cheap materials to save cost.....not more expensive and lighter materials.  It seems that is is impossible for them to make a bike that weighs less than 380 pounds with fuel.

I like that this bike is using a twin cylinder engine - they are far better at highway speeds than single cylinder bikes.  My little Ninja 250 could travel at 80mph all day long......one EX250 forum member rode his like that all the time and got 83,000 miles on the engine before the cam chain was just too worn for the tensioner to take up the slack.

Manufacturers just aren't making a mid sized, twin cylinder motorcycles as a sport touring, standard style motorcycles that would be good for trips or commuting in the USA.  The Honda 500 Rebel likely has a nice engine - I don't like the styling.  The Yamaha SR400 is a pretty bike - it is heavy and has an under powered single.     

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 03/18/22 at 03:47:55

I'd buy a CB500F if my knees weren't so old!
The RE650 is about 450/460lbs with a tank of gas! The Rebel 500 offends my sense of style.
Life is hard!
Cheers! Cool
ps: there's a MG Breva 750 nearby that's tempting!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/18/22 at 04:18:38

zipidachimp wrote on 03/18/22 at 03:47:55:
I'd buy a CB500F if my knees weren't so old!

I considered the CB500F a few years ago before I bought my BMW F800GT.  I knew the Honda would be reliable, capable of taking me anywhere, easy to get parts/service, and would be a very affordable and fun bike.  The quirky styling and chain drive are what kept me from buying the Honda and made me go to the more exotic bike.

Since nobody makes what I want...my current project of turning a Savage into a belt drive, standard style touring bike that weighs around 350 pounds is my solution.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 03/18/22 at 10:00:01

Since nobody makes what I want...my current project of turning a Savage into a belt drive, standard style touring bike that weighs around 350 pounds is my solution.

Smiley

Perfect !

I saw the link to the new  RE 411 scrambler while on the link to the Harley.    
It seems you and RE have the same idea !  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/18/22 at 17:13:00

MMRanch wrote on 03/18/22 at 10:00:01:
I saw the link to the new  RE 411 scrambler

A 411cc single is not a touring bike.  It is only 24HP - it needs about 10 more HP before it would be a decent bike for long trips that might include some interstate travel.  Some times the only way to get from Point A to Point B without a long detour - is at 70mph on a 4 lane highway.

If you want to tour on a 400cc - 500cc motorcycle, it needs to have 2 cylinders so it can hustle you down the interstate when needed.

The Royal Enfield Scrambler or Adventure version would be fine for the back roads we often ride on once we are in the mountains - but it would not be a good bike for getting to Texas from Lynchburg in 2 days.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 03/19/22 at 04:44:31

getting to Texas from Lynchburg in 2 days.

That would be "South Texas" in two days !  

Yea the Savage is boarder line in the power dept. , but I'm a law obiting type most of the time so it works out OK.

But a 350 pound Savage with a bigger fuel tank would be about perfect.

Bigger fuel being the key words !   Grin    

I'd think the new "little Harley" would have to be liquid cooled  like the Honda 300 Rebel.    That's the market that I suspect is fixing to grow overnight. ???

I've bent my savage in the direction of a light weight Road-Glide and like it !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/19/22 at 08:54:15

I don't understand why Honda doesn't put the parallel twin motor from the 500 Rebel or into a standard styled motorcycle.  If they could make a retro bike similar to their ground breaking CB 450 Black Bomber.......I think it would sell very well.  It would need to have enough speed to get down the interstate at 70mph - and I bet the CB500 engine could do it.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-cb450-b...

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 03/19/22 at 11:34:09

The sad thing is: Suzuki has done all of this before. Look at their back catalog, GR650, GS500, GS450. A little modernization and they could have the market again. They keep pushing pseudo racebikes at a changing market and wonder where all the customers went.  
Honda has a beautiful 350 single in India they are so far refusing to bring here. Stick that 500 twin in that chassis and sell everyone they can crank out.  
I think all of the OEMs are scared of siphoning off sales from their higher margin
bikes.  Kawasaki is bucking that trend with the retro Z650RS. The green/gold version is sold out before it hits the dealers!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 03/19/22 at 12:25:39

I always wanted to build a later version of the cb450/500 , great bikes and I know with a little work they can crank out 60 hp easy.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 16:25:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › The one Harley I'd buy !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.