Exhaust Port Widening (Read 82 times)
Dan P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Nevada
Exhaust Port Widening
03/10/22 at 15:38:59

Hello, I'm a newbee and have been building my 06 S40 for about 2 months. The forum has helped out a lot and I have met some good people through it.
I have searched but as you all know a lot of the old posts no longer have pictures available. I also tried the Search engine, but haven't had much luck with it.   My bike only has 4K miles so i'm on the fence when it comes to how far I want to take the motor? I plan on going with Lancer's Carb Kit, and I'm trying to fine a Mac Header.  So the question is :  How has opened up the Exhaust port on their motor without pulling the motor apart ? What techniques have been used to do it with the motor together ? I did see something about paper towels and shaving cream. I wasn't able to find much else, or pictures. I would like to do it but don't want to get something into the motor that will cause damage later. If you have experience with this procedure please let me know.  Thank you for your time and sorry this is so long. Dan P

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust Port Widening
Reply #1 - 03/10/22 at 17:42:39

Look through DragBikeMikes porting thread.  You don't have to go as far as he did - but the exhaust port should be "D" shaped.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615569533

You can do it without removing the head by ensuring the exhaust valves are closed, then jamming toilet paper or paper towels to shield the valves and guides from the grinding mess.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dan P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 03/11/22 at 06:16:35

Thanks Dave I will check that one out.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 03/13/22 at 05:28:35

Why would you want to widen your exhaust port? There wont be any major improvements from doing this modification alone.

IP Logged
Dan P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Nevada
Reply #4 - 03/13/22 at 07:58:24

Well from what I've read on the forum it does help. I also plan on replacing the stock header and muffler with something more free flowing.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 03/13/22 at 09:03:20

The exhaust port is so bad on these that nearly anything that you do to the exhaust side of things gives an improvement in flow. Even a fairly conservative first time attempt at porting combined with a better exhaust system is a considerable performance improvement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Port Widening

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.