Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Settings of stock rear shocks?  Belt tension ( (Read 94 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Settings of stock rear shocks?  Belt tension (
02/24/22 at 07:45:13

The guy I bought my Savage from was pretty small, and fit the Savage well, but I am just a little big  for it .I weigh nearly 250 lbs, and I sit partially on the saddle, and partially on the square pad of the two piece seat.  I can twist my drive belt like one should be able to do with my fingers, but it takes a good bit of pressure, and I wasn't really sure if it was a little tight, so I turned my shocks to the hardest setting just in case it would get too tight with excessive swing arm travel. I did this before I ever started riding the bike. I have tried to compress the bike by sitting on it to see if the belt tightens when the suspension is loaded, and can't get it to budge, and when I hit a bump ,it about breaks my back.  What shock setting are you heavier riders, or riders that sit further back using ?  Also how hard should it be to twist the belt 90% ?  What effect does swing arm compression have on belt tension ?  Thanks

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Settings of stock rear shocks?  Belt tension (
Reply #1 - 02/24/22 at 08:19:38

Stock shocks are a) junk, b) old, and c) not for your weight.
Invest in real shocks. They aren’t cheap.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 02/24/22 at 08:59:01

If you are compressing your shocks - say 50% just by sitting on the bike - that leaves you with about an inch of travel for ride comfort. And being that the OEM spring rate was chosen for a rider that is 140-150 pounds you can understand why your bike has a punishing ride. Worse, the OEM shouck has Zero/nada/0/no damping control - so it's motions are largely uncontrolled. The OEM shocks are truly the worse shocks available.

At full compression, the belt is very tight.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/24/22 at 13:07:56

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/24/22 at 08:59:01:
If you are compressing your shocks - say 50% just by sitting on the bike - that leaves you with about an inch of travel for ride comfort. And being that the OEM spring rate was chosen for a rider that is 140-150 pounds you can understand why your bike has a punishing ride. Worse, the OEM shouck has Zero/nada/0/no damping control - so it's motions are largely uncontrolled. The OEM shocks are truly the worse shocks available.

At full compression, the belt is very tight.
 I don't think I am compressing the shocks hardly all . I have tried to intentionally compress it just to see how tight the belt gets, and can't. It just seems like what,I would imagine a hard tail being.  I guess I probably shouldn't have them on the highest setting. If I do adjust them down a little should I loosen the belt ? I can twist a section 90% with my fingers, but can tell I couldn't turn it much,if any further.

« Last Edit: 02/24/22 at 17:54:07 by Evanswv »  
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/24/22 at 14:01:55

Instead of laying across the seat, use a ratchet strap over the rear seat connected both sides to the swingarm or axle.(protect the seat with something).
I can find pairs of shocks on eBay ranging from $50 - $800. I don't need the best, but don't want junk either. What must a heavy rider pay for a "good enough" pair of shocks? Suggestions?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/24/22 at 16:18:42

If the belt is noisy, it's probably too tight. You are not going to make it hop teeth. Try running it loose enough for a fifth grade girl to twist it 90*.
Just because the belt isn't squealing doesn't mean you don't want better shocks.
Have a look at the end cap. They turn. Set them to compress the spring as much as they can.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/24/22 at 19:18:06

I'm heavier than you and run the stock shocks.  I run them one less than the highest preload setting.  Yeah, the stock suspension is nuts, but I don't care.  It rides "good enough" for my needs.

I have low'ish expectations for this bike. It suits my needs just fine and I enjoy riding it even if it is a bit crude.  If I want something better, I'll just buy a better bike.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/24/22 at 20:11:57

ohiomoto wrote on 02/24/22 at 19:18:06:
I'm heavier than you and run the stock shocks.  I run them one less than the highest preload setting.  Yeah, the stock suspension is nuts, but I don't care.  It rides "good enough" for my needs.

I have low'ish expectations for this bike. It suits my needs just fine and I enjoy riding it even if it is a bit crude.  If I want something better, I'll just buy a better bike.  

I feel much the same about my bike. I like the way the engine pulls, and I am enjoying it. I was raised on single cylinder bikes both 2, and 4 stroke, and have a street Enduro now, that I enjoy. I always noticed these bikes coming up for sale every once in a while ,and priced cheaper than the other bikes of similar displacement, and I just figured it was because of them being a thumper. I almost bought a Suzuki C50 Boluvard before I bought the Savage. The guy lived in town were every 60,or 70 yards there is a 4 way stop, and all the corners were 90 degree turns on narrow streets, and I hated the bulk of the bike. I was warned about getting a Sportster, because of their small size, and I realize the Savage is even smaller, and that I probably look funny on it, but I don't care. My main concern on the Savage was the fact that it was belt driven, which I realize now that it is probably better than chain drive for my use. I probably would have been a little apprehensive on buying a Savage, and may have steered clear of them if I had known about the timing chain issue.  I guess I got a good deal on mine, because it has low miles, and pretty new battery, and tires, but I know I will have to eventually extend the tensioner. I personally can't justify spending too much money on improvements to the bike,other than the basics for safety, and maintenance. I have so far just re-jetted ,and did the needle spacer mod, and put bags on it, which look good, but I will probably replace them with a big set  that I picked up used. I will turn the shocks down a notch when I take it out again.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:24:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Settings of stock rear shocks?  Belt tension (

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.