Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test (Read 346 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test
Reply #60 - 05/06/22 at 22:27:22

Coming from a career in quality assurance and inspection, I admire your observation abilities.  Good write up, Mike!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #61 - 05/07/22 at 01:47:41

Hey Mike,
As always, thanks for the thorough documentation and analysis.
I’m hoping work starts on my other garage building in June, so that I can bring the Savage here and get it on the road. Currently it lives 2 hours away.
It’ll prob be in the high 30 HP range, so hopefully not frag the way yours did.
When we were racing a 250 Bultaco and an SR500 Yamaha, I had those motors apart a lot. More so the Bulto, of course. By the time it was done, it made roghly double the stock HP, so parts wore out in a hurry. I used Loctite on the main bearings into the cases. That was long ago, but I don’t think I used Green sleeve and bushing mount, as I never would have gotten the cases apart. I’ve def used green Loctite on bearings with a loose fit where it was the only way to save the fit without doing a bore/sleeve operation.
When my XL250 Honda puked, I believe it was balls/races. That was 40 years ago, so memories are a bit thin. I didn’t fix it, just sold it as a basket case.
The Bulto was born with ball bearings on both sides. I swapped to a roller bearing on the right (drive) side and used a balll bearing on the left to keep the crank in place. BMW used a f*g barrel roller bearing on rear of the crank on their higher output R69S in the 1960s. Norton used a roller bearing on the cranks of the later big twins after massive crank bearing failures. It was  a Superblend, and I believe it had a slight barrel shape to the rollers. IIRC, the Norton cranks would flex something like 13 degrees off centerline at redline, The ball bearings couldn’t take that kind of off center load and blew their lunch.
I’d def take the oil pump apart on yours and look for scoring. As little fun as it is, I’d prob press the crank apart and check the big end pin for scoring.
One thing I do on BMW trans rebuilds is take a gunsmithing brass bore brush, put it on a cordless drill, and run it through the trans shafts. Lots of caked on swarf in there that wants to come loose in a nice hot oil bath.  I’m assuming the Savage trans shafts are hollow for oil flow, so I wonder if this can be done?
I have a magnetic drain plug in my Savage. I used to rip apart the paper oil filters on bikes that I was worried about to look for debris.
Again, thanks for all your hard work and great documentation!
Can’t wait to see the next installment.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #62 - 05/08/22 at 01:45:46

Thanks Sneezy & Arlen.  It's a fun project.  Too interesting, have to share.

Once the oil pump is removed from the case, you can see inside.  The gerotor looks fine.  No debris in the filter.  The suction screen on the pump is really a fine mesh.  I guess it did the trick.  Also, no evidence of debris anywhere downstream of the pump suction strainer.  Looks like I caught a break.

At this point, I'm mostly concerned about the bearing bores in the case.  I believe the Loctite 620 will do the trick.  Based on the condition of the bearings (races and rolling elements), I don't think I will be removing the new ones for a very long time.  That assumes no more gear failures.

Good tip on brushing the bores of the transmission shafts.  I can do that on the input shaft.  The output shaft is closed on each end.  Right side has the speedo drive incorporated.  Left side has a plug.  I don't wanna mess with that plug.  Have to cross my fingers.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #63 - 06/11/22 at 22:08:20

Thank you for taking the time. It is greatly appreciated. Nicely done sir

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 08/25/23 at 16:19:02

It turns out two things had failed.  The obvious item was fifth gear, which was very easy to see.  The not so obvious thing was the left-hand main bearing.

The failure was hidden beneath the rollers and cage.  You can't see the inner race unless you cut through the cage and peel it away.  I believe the bearing failed due to lack of lubrication.  I always thought that the oil holes in the cam lobes were there to provide lubrication for the cam and rocker arm cam followers.  But the DR cam always looked great.  The reservoir below the cam seemed to provide adequate lube, even when I ran those super-beefy RD springs.  But it turns out those holes in the cam lobes are needed to throw oil forward into the exhaust valve spring pocket.  That oil then runs down the forward drain to provide lubrication for the left-hand main bearing.  Too much power and not enough oil, a bad combination.

If you are running a DR cam, drill the holes, or you will end up with one of these.

LH_Main_Roller_Brg_Failed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:18:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.