Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test (Read 346 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test
Reply #30 - 05/06/22 at 20:11:09

The left-hand main bearing outer race doesn’t look too bad either.

8/25/23  Yes, the outer race looked great, but the inner race had severely spalled.  If I had been smart, I would have cut the roller assembly open and looked at the inner race too.  Who would think that the inner race would fail without chewing up the outer race.  DBM
« Last Edit: 08/25/23 at 16:01:03 by DragBikeMike »  

LH_Main_Outer_Race_Surface_Finish.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 05/06/22 at 20:12:30

I removed the left-hand main bearing outer race.  The bearing bore in the case has some very unusual defects.  I’ve never seen this before. Have any of you ever seen anything like this? Totally weird.  It’s definitely not a crack.  You can clearly see the bottom of the defect.  Something has been going on here.  BTW, that’s a steel insert that has been cast into the aluminum case.  They did a beautiful job of casting the aluminum around the insert.  If it hadn’t started to flash-rust, I probably would have never noticed the steel insert.

8/25/23   I think this was caused by the outer race turning in the bore.  The inner race had failed and I suspect that it would grab the rollers and cause the bearing to bind up at speed.
« Last Edit: 08/25/23 at 16:03:10 by DragBikeMike »  

LH_Main_Worm_Tracking.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 05/06/22 at 20:13:35

Another unusual problem is defects all around the shoulder in the bearing bore.  You can see from the prior picture that from the outside of the case, the left-hand main bearing looks fine.  But look at the shoulder.  It’s all dinged up.  I don’t beat bearings out.  I use bearing jacks.  The outer race was removed with great care.  No beating with a hammer and punch.  It was removed with a nice even draw using a jacking tool.  Nothing contacted this shoulder when I removed the outer race.  Where did these dings come from? Ugly!  Any of you ever see anything like this?

8/25/23  Since the only way this could happen is for the outer race to move axially such that debris from the failing inner race could get lodged between the case and outer race.  Again, the outer race had to be moving around.  DBM
« Last Edit: 08/25/23 at 16:05:03 by DragBikeMike »  

LH_Main_Bore_Debris_Damage.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 05/06/22 at 20:14:33

Looking at the outer race I don’t see any clues.  Something tore up the shoulder in the left-hand main bearing bore, but it wasn’t the outer race and there are no indications that the outer race was turning in the case.

LH_Main_Brg_Outer_Race_No_Distress.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 05/06/22 at 20:15:44

The rollers look good too.  No evidence of chipping or debris.  Nothing that would explain all the damage in the adjacent case material.

8/25/23   Yes, the rollers looked fine, but how did the inner race look.  You can't see the inner race unless you cut the cage and peel it open.  Why didn't I do that???  DBM
« Last Edit: 08/25/23 at 16:06:59 by DragBikeMike »  

Roller_Faces_No_Distress.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 05/06/22 at 20:17:24

The case bore for the right-side main bearing has some unusual indications too.  These indications don’t look anything like the left side main bearing bore.  Again, I have no idea what these marks are all about.  Any of you ever seen anything like this? I found some literature on the internet that suggest tracks like this are caused by vibration.    I guess they could be the results of vibration.   The excessive crankshaft runout certainly caused a lot of vibration, and I’ve been running pistons that were significantly heavier or lighter than stock (that didn’t help).

RH_Main_Suspect_.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 05/06/22 at 20:18:19

The right-hand main bearing is also a bit loose in the case.  You can insert it into the bore about one-half before it starts to engage interference.  I’m not likin that.

RH_Main_Brg_Loose_Fit.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 05/06/22 at 20:19:08

The spacer that resides behind the drive pulley looks unusual.  There is a ridge around the circumference of the face that bears against the inner race of the output shaft bearing.  I wasn’t sure if that was normal, so I asked Dave if he had any spacers to inspect.  Dave’s spacers don’t have a ridge.  Then I found some spacers in my junk and none of them have the ridge.  Looks like the output shaft has been flexing and the resultant cyclic stress is causing the spacer face to fret away.  The ridge is formed because the inner race of the bearing has a large radius, so the spacer doesn’t contact there.  As Armen says, “you find your limits by exceeding them”.

Pulley_Spacer_Fretting_Wear.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 05/06/22 at 20:19:47

The spacer is worn about .006”.  I’m amazed that I found the pulley nut super-tight.  Maybe I was just fighting the Loctite to get that nut off, but the pulley seemed tight too.

Pulley_Spacer_Wear__006.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 05/06/22 at 20:20:42

You can see that the inner race of the left-hand output bearing also shows signs of fretting.  Also note that the bearing is sealed.  That’s an important feature.  The seal forces the pressurized oil to go through the hollow output shaft rather than just dribble through the ball bearing.  That oil lubricates the gears that run on the output shaft.

LH_Output_Inner_Race_Fretting.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 05/06/22 at 20:21:22

The two left-hand transmission bearings (input & output) look like regular bearings when viewed from inside the case.

LH_Trans_Brgs_Inner_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 05/06/22 at 20:22:00

But once the bearings are removed, you will see that each has a seal on the outboard side of the bearing.

LH_Trans_Brgs_Sealed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 05/06/22 at 20:22:52

Here you can see the oil feed hole for the left-hand input shaft bearing bore.

LH_Trans_Input_Feed_Hole.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 05/06/22 at 20:23:28

And this is the oil feed hole for the left-hand output shaft bearing bore.

LH_Trans_Output_Feed_Hole.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 05/06/22 at 20:24:17

It’s important to understand the role that the bearing seals play.  Install bearings without seals and you eliminate the oil supply to the shafts and gears.  This oil does not lubricate the gear teeth, it lubricates the bore of the gear.  No oil and the gear will eventually lock up on the shaft.  Very bad for shifting and fuel economy.

It’s also important to understand that the little o-ring on the clutch release push-piece is an important part of the transmission lubrication system.  Leave out that o-ring and it will bleed off oil intended for the gears.

Push_Piece_O-Ring.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a Hotrod Part 10 - Long Term Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.