Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low RPM operation ? (Read 42 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Low RPM operation ?
02/21/22 at 07:16:56

I have rode bikes since I was in elementary school, but just recently got into the street bikes.  I have a street legal Enduro, and a small Yamaha Virago, both of which are higher RPM motors, but with the weather getting better, I have been venturing out on the Savage, and yesterday I was on a smooth,but twisting, and hilly road, and honestly I didn't know what gear to run in sometimes. I was running mostly in 4th( bike is 5 speed), and when I would slow a little for curves, the bike would still pull coming out of them, but I thought I might be running my RPMs too low, but I would hate to shift everytime I just slightly change speed. With stock gearing what is the minimum speed one should run in 4th on a 5 speed bike?  I wear a full face helmet, and it really blocks most of the sound, and with no tach, it's hard for me to judge the RPM, and with the low torque of the bike it's hard to tell if I should shift just to bring the rpm up, or not.  Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Low RPM operation ?
Reply #1 - 02/21/22 at 07:55:54

As long as the engine is not lugging... it depends on how fast you want to accelerate or the steepness of the road.

Here's a speed vs rpm chart...

stock_gearing_rpm_vs_speed.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Low RPM operation ?
Reply #2 - 02/21/22 at 09:17:48

verslagen1 wrote on 02/21/22 at 07:55:54:
As long as the engine is not lugging... it depends on how fast you want to accelerate or the steepness of the road.

Here's a speed vs rpm chart...

Thank you. That is very handy. I may have been slowing down into the low 30s MPH in 4th in a few of the sharper turns, but most were mid,and upper 30s, and I probably hit no more than 45 on the entire stretch of road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:23:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low RPM operation ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.