Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is some engine noise normal ? (Read 52 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is some engine noise normal ?
02/15/22 at 15:29:20

I just did the white spacer mod, and installed a 147.5 main in my Savage, and it made a world of difference.  I measure my chain tensioner and it was good at 16 mm out, about 75 miles ago.  I think I am still always worrying about the cam chain though. I can hear what I hope is just normal noise if I bend over and listen. It's not a nocking, or rattle, it's just like a light mechanical drone. It's hard to explain, and I normally wouldn't worry, and I hear a similar type noise in my little Virago.  Is it normal to hear some noise if you lean down close to the motor ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Is some engine noise normal ?
Reply #1 - 02/16/22 at 02:23:47

Yep.
If you don't have enough valve lash,you burn valves.
It's a crude little thing. Kinda noisy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/16/22 at 06:48:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/16/22 at 02:23:47:
Yep.
If you don't have enough valve lash,you burn valves.
It's a crude little thing. Kinda noisy.

Thanks.  I have another question . I am pretty sure that the front brake lever had to be pulled on my Savage to start, but yesterday when I started it for the fiy time since doing the carb mod it no longer needs pulled. I had the tank off, and the battery box off. Could I have pulled something loose ? Was I wrong about the brake needing pulled bin the first place? I am pretty sure it wouldn't crank before without the brake being pulled though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/16/22 at 07:00:58

Evanswv wrote on 02/16/22 at 06:48:38:
Thanks.  I have another question . I am pretty sure that the front brake lever had to be pulled on my Savage to start, but yesterday when I started it for the fiy time since doing the carb mod it no longer needs pulled. I had the tank off, and the battery box off. Could I have pulled something loose ? Was I wrong about the brake needing pulled bin the first place? I am pretty sure it wouldn't crank before without the brake being pulled though.  

Not unless you swapped left for right controls somehow.
It's normal to pull the clutch lever to start, and kickstand up or in neutral.
They really don't like it when some newb launches their bike across a busy street.

WWW   IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/16/22 at 07:47:50

verslagen1 wrote on 02/16/22 at 07:00:58:
Evanswv wrote on 02/16/22 at 06:48:38:

Not unless you swapped left for right controls somehow.
It's normal to pull the clutch lever to start, and kickstand up or in neutral.
They really don't like it when some newb launches their bike across a busy street.  

The clutch still needs pulled to start. I've never messed with the levers. The kickstand safety still works. I was sure the front brake had to be pulled when I first got it, but I guess I was mistaken.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:25:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is some engine noise normal ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.