Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn Signal ideas and aftermarket options? (Read 68 times)
Tazmool
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Turn Signal ideas and aftermarket options?
01/30/22 at 15:10:01

Howdy,

I'm slowly getting my bikes ready for spring,
Something I wanted to address on the S40 is the turnsignals.

Two of the ones on my bike are cracked (housing is cracked)
Of course its one front one rear, opposite sides.
Seems sourcing the OEM ones is quite difficult.

Can the oem turn signals be replaced with aftermarket ones?
Even the front ones?  they seem to be mounted to a bracket holding onto the fork leg?

I know I'll need an LED relay (have on order)

If anyone has fitted aftermarket signals onto their bike (replacing all 4), could you post some photos?

Thx
Tazmool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Turn Signal ideas and aftermarket options?
Reply #1 - 01/30/22 at 15:29:30

Your easiest option is to get used turn signals from eBay.....or somebody on this forum who has spares.

Most aftermarket LED import turn signals are not nearly as visible as the stock turn signals, and all of them will need some for of adapting for the mount and the wiring.

Good (visible) turn signals aren't $14.95 a pair and made in China.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/30/22 at 16:41:55

Here are my five cents, for what it's worth. You can always go with aftermarket turn signals, but then you'll have to find a way to mount them, so your best bet is to go with OEM. If you go with aftermarket, go with regular incandescent bulbs, don't go with cheap LED, they are usually very low quality and won't last. You will need a LED flasher if you go with LED, which is very easy to install.

If you stay with OEM turn signals and want to go with LED bulbs, the only good LED bulbs are Sylvania Zevo. They aren't any brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs, but they have the proper light pattern, proper contrast, and the instant on/off is nice.

For aftermarket LED solution, I love Kuryakyn Tracer turn signals, but they are only made to fit Harley housings. On my V Star 950 I actually replaced the stock Yamaha front turn signals with a set from a Harley, and installed these Tracer LEDs. They are very bright and look amazing. If you can find a set of Harley turn signals, you can always adopt them, and there are a lot of aftermarket LED options for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utS0z1sEYNI

IP Logged
Tazmool
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/31/22 at 00:51:09

Thanks for the info everyone,
Looking closer at the oem mounting solution, it does seem that mounting anything aftermarket would be fairly difficult, I did find some oem signals on eBay, they are on the way now.
I will check out the Zevo led bulbs as well.

Cheers,
Tazmool

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 01/31/22 at 05:15:08

The one thing i won't skimp on with MC lighting is visibility over style. I want to make sure that I'm seen by all those goofballs in their cars. I once had a Honda CX500 with a hideously huge tail light. It stayed. It was bright and easily seen from lots of angles.

I still like incandescent bulbs and dispersive lenses for stop, turn and running lights. Spread that light around as much as possible. LEDs can be killer bright when looking at them straight on, but their visibility seems to quick fall away when viewing off-angle.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/31/22 at 07:12:27

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/31/22 at 05:15:08:
The one thing i won't skimp on with MC lighting is visibility over style. I want to make sure that I'm seen by all those goofballs in their cars. I once had a Honda CX500 with a hideously huge tail light. It stayed. It was bright and easily seen from lots of angles.

I still like incandescent bulbs and dispersive lenses for stop, turn and running lights. Spread that light around as much as possible. LEDs can be killer bright when looking at them straight on, but their visibility seems to quick fall away when viewing off-angle.

Yep, with stock dispersive lenses, incandescent bulbs generally work best. Most cheap LED bulbs have light pattern that is not compatible with these lenses, but furthermore, a lot of LED bulbs have very little difference between low power (running light) vs high power (turn signal) modes. The stock incandescent bulbs have ~5W/20-25W modes, so 4-5 times the contrast. Most LEDs have maybe 2x the contrast.

Only the Sylvania Zevo bulbs have proper light distribution and contrast, but they are not as bright as some of the cheaper chinese bulbs. They are virtually the same as the regular bulb, except for the instant on/off. Not really sure if they are worth it as they are kind of pricy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signal ideas and aftermarket options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.