Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking about aftermarket muffler. (Read 211 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thinking about aftermarket muffler.
01/28/22 at 20:13:06

I am looking at "universal" fit mufflers on Amazon, and it seems like there are 2 common types, and they both have the 3 bushings for fitting different size pipe. They are the type with the cone shaped end, and the type that turns out.  How much will a stock Savage benefit from these type mufflers, and rejettin the carb.  Do any of you use either of these mufflers ? If so, how do you like them? Do the fit the header pipe for a good leak free seal?  What pilot, and main jet would you recommend for a 2004 ?  Most of my riding is going to be at around 600 ft above sea level.  Thanks
 https://www.amazon.com/D1M-Universal-Stainless-Motorcycles-Black/dp/B09KLL949....        
     https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Universal-Stainless-Silencer-Moveable/dp/B0...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thinking about aftermarket muffler.
Reply #1 - 01/29/22 at 01:59:20

It should be illegal to advertise these noise makers as "mufflers".

Both of those mufflers are made by Emgo.....and they are incredibly loud.

The first muffler you listed are also sold under the Voo Doo Slash cut muffler brand, and if you search this forum you can find threads with folks complaining about how loud they are.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/100-2383/voodoo-high-performance-universal-t...

The Slash Cut muffler you listed is a black version of the chrome muffler I listed below.  Read the reviews and the comments show they are loud.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/emgo-turnout-1-34-universal-muffler?sku_i...

The megaphone muffler is the one RYCA used to have for their Cafe' bikes, and I have ridden with folks that have them, and they are obnoxiously loud.  For a while folks were doing a "Crumb Cup" modification where you take a sink strainer and install it at the back of the muffler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIelY9gMqX0

Later on RYCA made an insert that you could install to cut the noise down.  I don't think you can buy the insert anymore now that RYCA isn't making conversions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgyren9rHg

https://www.amazon.com/Tune-able-Muffler-Baffle-Reverse-Mufflers/dp/B01EXJWZ1...

If you like obnoxiously loud bikes - these mufflers will work. If you want a bit of muffling.......you need to keep looking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/29/22 at 07:01:25

Thanks Dave.  I wasn't wanting an incredibly loud exhaust.  How much better will a stock bike perform with a less restrictive muffler than the stock one , if I just re jet the carb, but leave the air box alone ?

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #3 - 01/29/22 at 07:36:34

There is a ton of information already documented on performance upgrades.  DragBikeMike has gathered a very comprehensive amount of data.  Enjoy the read!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615569533

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/29/22 at 09:08:22

TheSneeze wrote on 01/29/22 at 07:36:34:
There is a ton of information already documented on performance upgrades.  DragBikeMike has gathered a very comprehensive amount of data.  Enjoy the read!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615569533
 Thanks .I will check it out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/29/22 at 09:12:12

And our "go to" muffler for a stock Savage engine is a used Harley Dyna muffler.  If you watch Craigslist or eBay you should be able to find a nice used one for $40 +/-.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 01/29/22 at 09:33:46

I have the VooDoo slash cut on my 03 Savage. First I will tell you bike sounds like crap, sort of like a loud lawn mower if you just bolt it on. And it is loud. That said I have a fairly elaborate mounting for it and have added 2 baffles in the path and am very happy with the sound, volume and performance. I also mounted it as a 3/4 turn down not a side exit.

I did not make any change to the jets, bike runs fine as it is set up, maybe a little lean at times. Overall I am very happy with it.

So what did I do, first I built a new mounting bracket to bolt it up to the stock mount point. I also built a intermediate connector between the header and muffler to get it too the position I wanted it. At the back end off the connector I installed a short deflection baffle, which inserts into the muffler. At the rear end of muffler I installed a second catalytic baffle.

All that said, I will point out that by converting it to a down turn you effect and redirect the sound output. Sound is actually a wave and travels as such. Mounted as a turn out you are directly sending that wave out to the side, broadcasting it into open air with nothing in it's way. Once you turn it down you are directing it at the ground where it contacts and disperses the wave, effectively making it a little quieter.

In my opinion, the exhaust actually looks much better as a down turn also. The slash more aligns better with lines of bike.

IMG_7552_001.jpg
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 01/29/22 at 09:34:58

Connector

IMG_4831.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 01/29/22 at 09:35:35

Bracket

IMG_4845.JPG
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/29/22 at 11:34:28

Thanks to all that have responded.. May I ask those with stock bikes if replacing the muffler provided any power increase, or any advantage ?  I don't mind the bike being kinda quiet, and don't want a bike so loud that I can't hear any unwanted engine noise, like a failing cam chain, but I do want the bike to be able to breath.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #10 - 01/29/22 at 11:38:47

Your answers are in the threads I linked to you.  You just need to read them.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 01/29/22 at 12:44:18

Evanswv,  This thread should be most appropriate for your specific question, anticipated performance improvements, stock engine with better muffler.  The thread installs and tests a Harley muffler, which seems like it is exactly what you are looking for.  The thread goes on to test a specialty muffler and a larger header pipe.  It should give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1623048749

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
IceBerg
YaBB Newbies

Big Boys, Big Balls,
Small Bikes

Alberta Canada
Reply #12 - 02/26/22 at 02:02:38

I run the turnout muffler you sent, I've also been straightpiped in the past. It certainly does "muffle" the sound. But basically the internals of the muffler is just one single pringle shaped baffle. Honestly more about adding a little bit of back-pressure. Definitely still too loud to be riding in residential areas at night without waking folks up.

2009 Savage Bobber. Low, slow, but not just for show.
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/26/22 at 05:49:08

I have been going back,and forth on the muffler, and as of now I am running the stock one. I did the spacer mod, and went to a 147.5 main, and the bike very very seldom pops when I roll of the throttle, but still usuallymakes one last muffled backfire when I shut it off when hot. I will be fine tuning the carb when the weather gets consistently warmer, but I think I will need to go with a 150 main, and I assume probably bigger if I do change mufflers.  As of right now ,my biggest beef with the stock muffler is it's weight. I had the exhaust off to measure the distance the piston of the cam chain tensioner was out, and I was surprisingly heavy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/26/22 at 11:33:53

Evanswv wrote on 02/26/22 at 05:49:08:
I did the spacer mod, and went to a 147.5 main, and the bike very very seldom pops when I roll of the throttle, but still usuallymakes one last muffled backfire when I shut it off when hot.   

The main jet has no affect on the fuel mixture when the throttle is closed - or when the engine is idling.  The main jet only affects the mixture at 3/4 to full throttle.

Before you change jets - you might try opening up the fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if that changes anything......and bump your idle speed up just a little bit.

carb_circuits_002.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about aftermarket muffler.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.