Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking about aftermarket muffler. (Read 211 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Thinking about aftermarket muffler.
Reply #15 - 02/26/22 at 15:24:57

Embarrassed   [/quote]

The main jet has no affect on the fuel mixture when the throttle is closed - or when the engine is idling.  The main jet only affects the mixture at 3/4 to full throttle.

Before you change jets - you might try opening up the fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if that changes anything......and bump your idle speed up just a little bit. [/quote]
It runs really good now,and has a nice smooth idle. When I had the carb apart ,I inspected the rubber pieces, and sprayed carb cleaner through all the jets, and passage ways. I think the carb had been half way cleaned before, because it had like a yellow powder coating the inside of the fuel bowl that had a streak pattern, like someone had wiped it out, but not really cleaned it well.  I don't know if it was just something I cleaned from the carb,or the mods, but the bike is so much better.  I had it out today, and had the idle up a little high on it, and when I shut it off it still had the flash in the exhaust. It's not really a pop,but more of a poof !, And it takes a second after shutdown to do it. It's no big deal to me, as long as it can't hurt anything.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/26/22 at 16:23:21

I kind of like the little "Poof" that the Savage makes on shutdown.

It is how the bike says "Thanks" after a nice ride!

It occurs because you have turned off the ignition - but the engine is still rotating and pulling fuel/air through the carb as the piston goes up and down.  The fuel/air is not ignited in the cylinder - so it gets pumped out to the exhaust system.  After a few seconds the fuel/air is heated up to the flash point by the hot exhaust system - and it is ignited.  Without compression or a closed system - the fuel/air burns less quickly than it does in the cylinder....so you get a poof instead of a bang.

There are some owners who have reported their bikes makes a shotgun blast when they turn it off.....and it can create some excitement from nervous pedestrians!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/27/22 at 08:36:18

Dave wrote on 02/26/22 at 16:23:21:
I kind of like the little "Poof" that the Savage makes on shutdown.

It is how the bike says "Thanks" after a nice ride!

It occurs because you have turned off the ignition - but the engine is still rotating and pulling fuel/air through the carb as the piston goes up and down.  The fuel/air is not ignited in the cylinder - so it gets pumped out to the exhaust system.  After a few seconds the fuel/air is heated up to the flash point by the hot exhaust system - and it is ignited.  Without compression or a closed system - the fuel/air burns less quickly than it does in the cylinder....so you get a poof instead of a bang.

There are some owners who have reported their bikes makes a shotgun blast when they turn it off.....and it can create some excitement from nervous pedestrians!

Gotta love these big old 'thumpers!'

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about aftermarket muffler.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.