Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does the LS650 need an oil cooler? (Read 204 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Does the LS650 need an oil cooler?
01/27/22 at 11:28:13

I had a guy on FB (I know, consider the source!) tell me the Savage really needs an oil cooler.  Out of all the research I have done before starting my street tracker project, I do not recall ever seeing one of these bikes fitted with an oil cooler.  Not saying no ever did, but it doesn't seem too common in what I have seen.  I would think that if it is as important as this guy thinks, they would be on a lot of bikes.  Thoughts?

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Does the LS650 need an oil cooler?
Reply #1 - 01/27/22 at 12:45:01

There has been a time or two this discussion comes up - most folks don't see the need for a cooler.

There have only been 3 times that my bike got hotter than normal.  One time was a 1st gear crawl up a gravel road on the side of a mountain in North Carolina when the temperatures were about 95 degrees (Oldfeller leading the way)....another time Oldfellor took me to the Dixie Knife Works on a 100 degree day.....and MMRanch took me down Main Street in Pigeon Forge on a 95 degree day.  The cylinder heat got up over 300 degrees as the travel speeds were so slow the engine didn't get much cooling air.  The engine didn't overheat - but it was hotter than the normal 240 - 260 degrees that I get when the bike is moving.

The engine is air cooled - and if you keep moving the engine isn't going to overheat.  If you are in town on a hot day......I am not sure an oil cooler will help much as there will be little or no flow through the cooler without a fan (and we don't have enough electricity to run a fan).

And DragBikeMike will be the once to comment on this - but even adding cubic inches and more HP doesn't seem to raise the engine temperature up too much.  In fact the new flat top Wiseco lowered the engine temperature if I remember correctly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 01/27/22 at 13:24:12

I would think oil temperature is more important than cylinder head temp, but there is a limit to all things when it comes to temperature.  All of your points make perfect sense to me, Dave.  Someone saying these bikes really need one did not.  And I remember DBM's post showing what the temps were after all the mods.  Since I am doing all of his hop ups, I thought I would toss this out there for comment.  Sorry if it just dragging up old discussions.  Us old guys usually never do that, RIGHT?!!!   Grin

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/27/22 at 14:56:26

I chose cylinder head temperature, as I felt it would always be higher than the oil temperature.  The heat in the engine comes from the combustion process....the entire crankcase and oil dissipates the heat made in the cylinder and head.

I chose the left rear head stud for the sender - as that was easy to get to and not located inside the cam housing.  DragBikeMike chose the right front cylinder head stud nearest the exhaust - so his readings are higher than mine.

On my normal country rides the temperature is around 240.  If I get on the interstate and cruise in 90 degree temps at 70mph the head temp would climb close to 280 with the stock gearing.  Once I did the double Kawasaki pulley conversion and got the engine rpm down at highways speeds the temperature dropped 20 degrees and stays around 260.

The only oil/heat related failures I know of occurred when some members got their bikes out on the interstate and rode for long distances at 75-80-85 mph.......and in the process ran the engine low on oil.  When you run the Savage engine at 5,000 rpm for long periods it tends to use oil.......not sure if it goes past the rings or out the breather - but it goes away.  If you ride fast for extended periods you need to pack some spare oil and keep track of the amount of oil in the engine.  

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/27/22 at 16:02:16

I would be concerned an oil cooler will not allow the oil to reach its intended operating temperature when riding in cooler weather.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/27/22 at 17:35:43

ckahleer wrote on 01/27/22 at 16:02:16:
I would be concerned an oil cooler will not allow the oil to reach its intended operating temperature when riding in cooler weather.

I PREdict , he says ,as he
Looks
Into the Future
No, boys and girls, This Prediction is Not about the past!
THIS Prediction is about the FUTURE!
Amazing, No!?

I PREDICT that one day there will be nifty gizmos that control fluid flow. I PREdict they will be called
Valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/28/22 at 00:12:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/27/22 at 17:35:43:
ckahleer wrote on 01/27/22 at 16:02:16:

I PREdict , he says ,as he
Looks
Into the Future
No, boys and girls, This Prediction is Not about the past!
THIS Prediction is about the FUTURE!
Amazing, No!?

I PREDICT that one day there will be nifty gizmos that control fluid flow. I PREdict they will be called
Valves.

I am sure there is some good info in there somewhere from JoG
but I confess I have no idea where

Hiko   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 01/28/22 at 01:50:16

Ask DBM

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/28/22 at 04:36:22

I live in a climate that can go from negative temperatures in the winter to triple digits in the summer.

I have added oil coolers to a few sports cars that I modified, and a truck that I used for pulling a trailer.  In all those installations I used a thermostat to control the flow of oil to the new cooler.  The coolers therefore didn't operate until/unless the oil temperature got high enough to require cooling.  Engines do need properly warmed up oil to operate properly.

There are some motorcycles that have oil coolers with thermostats built into the cooler........if I was considering a cooler addition I would try and find a cooler with a built in thermostat.

But - I don't see the need for the way I ride.  If I lived in an area where temperatures often exceeded 100 degrees and I rode interstates at 80mph for hours on end.........then may be a cooler would be a benefit.

Youzguyz lives in Texas, rides in hot weather and has nearly 250,000 miles of proof that an oil cooler isn't necessary.  His engine wore out the valve guides and seals at 160,000 miles - the original cam and rockers, crank, piston, cylinder, transmission are all still doing the job.  He uses good oil (currrently Rotella) and keeps the bike maintained.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 01/28/22 at 10:39:11

Very true Dave. In most cases if the bike didn’t come with it , then it doesn’t need it. Now a nice chrome oil filled oil pressure gauge would be a nice want not a need. Now if you subject our humble little thumper to pulling around one of those trikes(3 wheeler) . A contraption like that would be a constant extra load , then it might be beneficial.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/28/22 at 11:35:32

Ruttly wrote on 01/28/22 at 10:39:11:
Very true Dave. In most cases if the bike didn’t come with it , then it doesn’t need it. Now a nice chrome oil filled oil pressure gauge would be a nice want not a need.

I think if I had an oil pressure gauge, I'd obsess over it and it would scare me to death.
Ignorance is bliss.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/28/22 at 11:53:46

The bike is proven, barring that rare mechanical failure. Gauges and coolers won't keep that failure from happening. Well, MAYbe,, but not necessarily. Generally, they just keep running. Ride it, enjoy it. If you are going to ride in a parade and get it hotternHell, then you might want to rethink that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/28/22 at 14:18:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/28/22 at 11:53:46:
If you are going to ride in a parade and get it hotternHell, then you might want to rethink that.

I prefer to avoid any situation where I have to stay in 1st gear, slip the clutch......and Duck Walk!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/28/22 at 18:35:25

Here is my take:

Don't try and make this bike into something it is not.  Why waste your time and money trying to make this POS into a performance motorcycle when you can buy so many other bikes that will perform much better for much less money????

If you want to hang an oil cooler on it because you think it's cool, then do it.  I totally get that and I'm 1000% on board with that.  I get it that is fun.  But if you need to ask, then you are missing the point of doing cool things because you want to.  Do it because you think it would be cool to do.  Don't do it because you have some fantasy that this POS bike (said with affection) is anything more than it is.  Sure you can add a few HP to it and get to...35 hp??   You aren't chasing 35 hp. You are chasing the process of getting to 35 hp.  

I'm pretty sure DragBikeMike does what he does because it's fun for him and not because this bike has some sort of "holy grail" potential.  

I think the LS650 is a stunning motor to look at and I enjoy riding it.  I think it's as cool as anything, but...it's a turd.  It's a fun motor to fart around on.  If you give me 40 hp, it will still be just a fun motor to fart around on and that's OK.  

I never thought about hanging an oil cooler on it, but I think it would LOOK really cool.  

Just do it!  

Full disclosure: I had a 71 Triumph TR6.  It was a rescued, basket case, flat tracker that someone put together and made (close to) street legal.  It had a cheap chrome oil cooler hanging under the seat where the side covers and airbox would have been (oil in the frame on the 71 and newer trumpets).  The oil cooler would have done nothing over the course of a local flat track race, especially hanging under the seat directly behind the air-cooled motor.  But you know what...that was hands down the coolest bike I ever owned.   Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/28/22 at 20:21:59

If you style of riding leads to the hair on your legs being burnt off, then you need a cooler.

Most of us are not.
Summer afternoons riding home from work, I was.
Even 50 mph in traffic got the bike hot, too hot to stop.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the LS650 need an oil cooler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.