Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does the LS650 need an oil cooler? (Read 204 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Does the LS650 need an oil cooler?
Reply #15 - 01/29/22 at 04:31:59

ohiomoto wrote on 01/28/22 at 18:35:25:
Here is my take:

Don't try and make this bike into something it is not.

Of course almost everyone posting in this thread has turned their Savage into something it wasn’t. But your point about the engine is spot-on

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #16 - 01/29/22 at 07:30:18

I did not have any plans to add an oil cooler to this project.  But when someone commented "that it needed one", and I have not seen any builds on here running one, I figured I would see what the consensus was with the powers that be.  I am not surprised that a comment on FB has proven to be complete BS.  Go figure.  A temperature gage sounds like a good idea, though.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 01/29/22 at 13:34:56

Early on, I figured this thing could use an oil cooler, but after a lot of mods and tests, it looks like a cooler would be overkill.  

The DRs use a cooler with Suzukis Advanced Cooling System (ACS).  That system has two pumps.  One circulates oil for lubrication, the other circulates oil for cooling.  I figured the LS needs a cooler too.

I installed a pressure gage, CHT gage, and an oil temp gage in order to collect baseline data for a cooler project.  The hotest I have seen the oil is about 242 degrees with a Wiseco pop-top and ignition timing retarded 2 degrees.  The ignition timing plays a significant role.  It runs cooler when the timing is set to 30 degrees.

With the flat-top Wiseco, I generally run between 200 to 210 (usually closer to 200).  The ambient over here is usually around 70 to 88 degrees.   It takes about 30 minutes to get the thing all the way up to temperature.

Generally, an oil cooler should be installed downstream of the oil filter.  You want the oil hot going into the filter. On the Savage, the only reasonable provision for cooler installation is on the inlet to the filter.  I don't think that's good.

At normal operating temp, my oil pressure at 4K is usually about 8 psi, and at idle it is usually about 2 psi.  My bike idles at 1400.  Those pressures are with a DR cam, no holes in the lobes.  With a stock cam (holes in the lobes), it runs 6 psi at 4K and zero at idle.  These pressures are achieved using 20W-50 oil.  If you use 10W-40, the pressure will be significantly lower.  

Most of the literature I have seen recommends 200 to 230 degree normal oil temp with a maximum permissible of 250 degrees.  Synthetic oil is supposed to tolerate max temps up to 300 degrees.   Seems to me I'm running well within the limits.

One problem I see with an oil cooler is air in the system.  If you mount the cooler higher than the crankcase, when you shut down the engine, the contents of the cooler will drain back into the sump.  That's a lot of oil.  When you start back up, the pump will have to fill the cooler before you start to feed oil to the top end.  My bike, without a cooler, takes 3 to 5 seconds to develop pressure at the gage.  The gage is connected to the head cover.  Filling the cooler will add a significant amount of time to dry operation at startup.

Installing a pressure gage and an oil temp gage is easy.  If I lived in a hot climate (AZ, NM, NV, SoCal), and I was interested in modifying my engine, I would find those instruments invaluable.  I would install the instruments rather than the cooler.  Then, if warranted, I would install a cooler.  Make sure it's rated for at least 30 psi.  This thing buries my pressure gage when I start it cold.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/29/22 at 16:00:22

In the distant past, I recall seeing an electric pre oil pump, that you could turn on for a few seconds, getting oil flowing to the heads before starting the engine. Not sure if this was a commercially available thing or a one of a kind hack someone put on a hotrod.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/30/22 at 05:13:18

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/29/22 at 04:31:59:
ohiomoto wrote on 01/28/22 at 18:35:25:
Here is my take:

Don't try and make this bike into something it is not.
-----------------

Of course almost everyone posting in this thread has turned their Savage into something it wasn’t. But your point about the engine is spot-on
-------

Haha, you got me there!  I was mostly referring to the performance aspects of the bike.  

IP Logged
TBR125
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/30/22 at 05:35:17

My experience with the Suzuki S40 is limited, however, from the temps I've seen over the last 5000 miles I don't see a need for an oil cooler for my type of riding which is primarily over 35mph, with the outdoor temp ranging from 11-98 degrees, a 230# rider+cargo weight and an occasional passenger. I avoid using the phrase "normal riding conditions" as I haven't met a normal biker yet, including myself Grin

If you like the looks of an oil cooler or haul either a 14' sailboat or a Miller welder-generator like I did with my Yamaha TW-200 which already had inherent oil flow problems, then you might consider it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 01/30/22 at 09:03:23

Thanks DBM

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:22:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does the LS650 need an oil cooler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.