oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: How cold is TOO COLD !
Reply #30 - 01/11/22 at 12:59:53

LANCER wrote on 01/11/22 at 07:34:04:
A complaint of the studded tires was that they tore up pavement.

Probably true. But at least where I live I'm convinced that the damage that the ridiculous amount of salt that is now being used on the roads is far worse.

The salt turns the snow into water, the water runs into the cracks in the pavement, refreezes overnight, expands. Day after day for several months. The cracks turn into potholes. By Spring the roads are a wreck.

We got two seasons here. Winter and road repair. Same trucks that spend all winter loaded with rock salt spend all summer running the same roads loaded with asphalt. Cheesy

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #31 - 01/12/22 at 11:37:14

Got to ride to work today! It felt good  Cool. It was 28 at home and about 34 at work.  Next 10 days have a lot of riding possibilities.  

10day.png

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 01/13/22 at 04:19:14

At 28 deg. my bike doesn’t even want to get out from under the covers, much less go out for a ride.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 01/13/22 at 15:09:59

At 28 deg. my bike doesn’t even want to get out from under the covers, much less go out for a ride.  

Wait a minute , My bike is the same way most of the time ?   It must be "Genetic".   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #34 - 01/21/22 at 09:33:49

Well, I wuzzed out today. It was 34 F this morning and I decided I would rather that the Jetta for my ride in to work. Cruising at 80 mph with Houston traffic and the car still got 47.5 mpg on the 30+ mile drive. That little Jetta is awesome. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #35 - 01/21/22 at 12:33:13

That is great mileage!  Only a bit less than I get on the Savage.  I have a 16 y/o Nissan Frontier and it gets 17 mpg.  Its good incentive to ride and get around 50 on the bike.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #36 - 01/21/22 at 13:15:23

Yeah. This little jetta really surprised me with the mileage it gets. It averages about 40 mpg in overall daily driving. The only bad thing is that it has spoiled me to the point that if a car gets 30 mpg highway I consider that bad.  Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 01/21/22 at 17:24:47

if a car gets 30 mpg highway I consider that bad.

If I EVER get another car , you can bet that will be my motto !

With the vehicles available today and gas prices not going down ... anything else would be just plain silly !   Wink

When I went looking for a truck , I got the Highest MPG I could find .   At the time 27 mpg average was the best I could find.   But it gets better than that if I drive like I got good sense and stay out of town.  That's even with a motorcycle in the back of it . Smiley    It's a 200 HP Gas engine.

« Last Edit: 01/22/22 at 20:32:11 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #38 - 01/25/22 at 07:37:12

There are things to be said for the more expensive cars. I threw my back outta whack and not back in whack yet. So drove into work with my wife these last two rather cold days. She may only get 20 some miles per gallon, but she has heated seats in her car. Smiley That was really nice on my back!!! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 01/26/22 at 03:48:26

We are currently 7 degrees this morning.....it is too cold to ride!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #40 - 01/26/22 at 07:42:56

Dave , Thinking of COLD !

I can't get that outdoor wood heater of your out of my mind this time of year .

The way I remember it :
Ya load it once a day !
Ya get a HEATED GRARAGE out of it !
Ya get a HEATED HOUSE out of it !
Ya get HOT WATER for the house !
And the wood cutting is about 3 feet long which means less cutting !

Now , I know my concrete is already poured so the eight car size heated shop area is not a possibility .   That also means my outdoor unit could be a little less.   Also , our son Anders is thinking of building a house on the new property next door .   I'm thinking the cedar log cabin he is thinking of would be nice and warm with a heated concrete pad under it .  Same thing if he goes with the Metal Building idea .  

Question is :
How on earth did you come up with such an idea ?  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 01/26/22 at 09:44:19

Mike:

The outdoor wood boiler is a wonderful thing....providing you don't mind cutting firewood.  I cut my wood 24" long as that is what fits in my splitter.  The firebox is 44" long - when I load wood I rake the coals to the front and throw the wood in the back.....I load 3-4 pieces in the morning before I go to work, and another 3-4 pieces at night before I go to bed.  It takes about 6 cords of wood to get me through a winter.  I have a 16x18 carport for my woodshed - if I can get it full that is about 3 years worth of wood......it is best to let the wood season a year before you burn it.

Although the radiant floor heat in the garage is nice - it isn't the only way to use the heat from the boiler.  If you have forced air heat in the house you can install a heat exchanger in the furnace plenum and have the thermostat turn on the blower when you need heat.....that is how our house works.  For your garage you can install a heat exchanger and blower.....kind of like the electric or gas furnaces that hang from the ceiling - but it uses the hot water from the boiler...…..you can also use the old cast iron radiators.

If you have plenty of woods and can harvest the wood from your property - this is a good system.  I have trees dying and falling down al the time - I rarely have to cut down a healthy tree for heat.  To keep the property cleaned maintained I have to get the dead and damaged trees cleaned up - I might as well use the wood for heat rather than just burning it as waste in a brush pile.

Cutting and stacking the wood is a lot of work - it is good work and helps me keep in shape....and it is more fun than going to a gym.

Some folks have outdoor boiler that burn rounds bales - the end of the boiler opens and you put the entire round bale in!  If you have a tractor and bailer this might be better than wood!

This guy does a good job explaining the good and bad.  He splits his wood too small - I only make it small enough I can lift it without hurting myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2QTK66lJJA

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 01/26/22 at 17:45:21

I have a diesel heater in my van.  It's a balmy 60-75 degrees in there all winter long.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 01/27/22 at 02:48:53

It was 9 degrees last night......nice and warm in the house and garage.

The Dragon in my back yard stayed up all night and chased away the cold!

IMG_9650.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 01/27/22 at 08:43:10

Impressive Dragon !    Smiley

Just now I had a thought about the Hot water Feeding the hot water tank.  
I picture the Dragon water feeding the hot water tank instead of cold water feeding it.   Then in summer when the Dragon is resting ... Cold water feeds the water heater from the same source ... its just not preheated before it gets there.

Hay , how about a look at how the Dragon's water gets around.    Is it just pvc pipe running through the shop floor ?  
The first thing that comes to mind is:
A pvc joint starts leaking and is burred in concrete ... = Screwed ?

Then there is the Heat lost getting to the house .
It seems the closer to the house the better ?

It seems like a great system , Is it your own creation or are they commercially out there already ?
Huh

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 21:45:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › How cold is TOO COLD !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.