Send Topic Print
How cold is TOO COLD ! (Read 482 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: How cold is TOO COLD !
Reply #15 - 01/08/22 at 18:13:21

I ride if it's 30 or higher (and sometimes less) and the roads are clear; no ice or snow, and not too much of the sandy crap they spread here for traction.  I used to ride in much colder temps on my scooter which had better wind block.  Plus, getting that 80 mpg was worth it.  

Now, I'm talking about commuting to work, which is about 22 miles and takes about 40 minutes on the side roads.  If I'm taking a fun run up the mountains and canyons here in Colorado, I don't do that in Winter.  But I'll go when it's in the 50's down here, which means much colder up in the shadows and higher altitude.  I dress for the weather, and I absolutely hate being cold.  I have a good base layer, fleece lined pants, leather boots, handlebar muffs, full face helmet, balaclava and new heated gloves.  If I'm going to ride to work, I need extra time to gear up and then gear down at work.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 01/08/22 at 19:45:45

All Right Tocsik

That cold ain't so bad if ya dress for it !   Smiley

Last new years day (21) I went on a ride with the CMAUSA bunch up to "The Bridge to No-Where near Woodberry TN. (50 miles one way) , it was 14 deg.F when I left the house.
Heated gloves w/rain covers mittens.
Heated Vest with 10kma battery under insulated nylon jump suit
Heated long johns under insulated nylon jump-suit overalls.
Big Windshield and matching Plexiglas grip shields.
Barclay w full-face helmet.
Boots and heavy socks.

I never even got cold , but had to take some Pillsberry dough-boy teasing !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #17 - 01/08/22 at 23:08:02

Heat is annoying, but cold is a killer.
New Years Day 1995, rode around the perimeter ring road of Athens Ga. on my Ascot V-twin for a lark, never again!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/09/22 at 08:06:59

Pretty much the same as Tocsik, but I sense I'm getting older and softer...I am about to say screw that sheit!!   Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/09/22 at 08:09:16

Dave wrote on 01/08/22 at 16:45:10:
For those of you in the south who don't really understand about the salt they spread on the roads to melt the snow and ice - here is a photo that shows just how out of control the folks spreading the salt can get.

We had about an inch of snow last Wednesday night.  This morning (Saturday) I needed to go to the Post Office and also pick up some groceries.  Last week this parking lot was black asphalt.....this week it looks like the Bonneville Salt Flats!  All that white color is salt - not snow!
--------------

I would say that's too much of a good thing except salt on the roads generally isn't a good thing!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 01/09/22 at 10:29:34

so ????

Where does all that salt go-to ??

I'm thinking : years of salt into the ground could reall screw-up the natural balance of the soil and ground water ?    

What is wrong with the people who pull that stuff ??  Angry

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/09/22 at 12:20:07

MMRanch wrote on 01/09/22 at 10:29:34:
so ????

The salt goes into the air, into the waterways, into the soil....it goes everywhere.

As the salt dries and becomes that white powder - you can see clouds of white dust in the air from the cars driving over it.  That salt goes into your air cleaner, into the air and blows onto everything near the highway.

When the salt is wet and the snow is melting, it runs off the road and into the ground.  The vegetation along the highways is killed when there is a hard winter and a lot of salt is used.

When it rains the water washes the salt into the ditches and storm drains and it goes into the creeks, streams and rivers.

I really am surprised that the environmentalists aren't concerned about this issue.......it really does seem that it is not good for the environment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 01/09/22 at 20:06:49

Dave wrote on 01/09/22 at 12:20:07:
MMRanch wrote on 01/09/22 at 10:29:34:
so ????

The salt goes into the air, into the waterways, into the soil....it goes everywhere.

As the salt dries and becomes that white powder - you can see clouds of white dust in the air from the cars driving over it.  That salt goes into your air cleaner, into the air and blows onto everything near the highway.

When the salt is wet and the snow is melting, it runs off the road and into the ground.  The vegetation along the highways is killed when there is a hard winter and a lot of salt is used.

When it rains the water washes the salt into the ditches and storm drains and it goes into the creeks, streams and rivers.

I really am surprised that the environmentalists aren't concerned about this issue.......it really does seem that it is not good for the environment.

The "environmentalists" that make all the  noise don't really care about the "environment" that ordinary folks actually live in, that's why.

The "environment" that they inhabit is largely a fantasy.

As long as there is enough salt on the expressways so that they can drive their brand new cars to the next "climate change" or "lets get rid of fossil fuels " virtue signaling " cocktail party at 80 MPH in the midst of a western New York blizzard they don't give a hoot,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 01/09/22 at 20:34:04

I Really enjoyed reading that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 01/10/22 at 09:30:28

Hay , that reminds me of when I was living on a gravel road .
That dust settled on everything , on a busy road day the trees could change from green to gray !   Huh

Makes a good argument for building you house way,waY,wAY,WAY off the road !!  Wink

I suspect  this will be about all the winter we get ... and ... I can be OK with that !  Smiley

Maybe one short cold blast in Feb. ?    
Then
It could be off to Daytona in March ?  

https://www.daytonabeach.com/bike-week/?msclkid=326d032ba4d417dc892662f7d117e...)

Correction :  Burning Bike this year :

https://bikeweekcampground.com/

We'll have to come up with a new plan !

« Last Edit: 01/10/22 at 10:32:45 by MMRanch »  

ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/10/22 at 14:38:00

In the 70s it was all RWD vehicles with snow tires.  The question was to stud or not to stud.  

Then it was all about 4x4s, FWD cars with All Season tires, and some salt.

These days it's all about vastly improved tires, expensive AWD SUVs (that can handle anything in the world according to the CGI animated commercials) and SHEIT LOADS of salt!!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 01/10/22 at 14:51:31

Pretty much year round as MM said. If it is dry and above freezing I may ride. Last week one day it was 37 in the morning when I left the house and 51 when I returned in the evening. I did wear riding over pants that day, leather jacket with 2 sweaters underneath, a scarf, a gaiter and insulated gloves. The ride is about 50 minutes each way. I figure I could do an hour ride in those clothes down to about 30 degrees F. Anything colder and I would want better gloves and some sort of insulated boots instead of just my cowboy style boots and a good warm balaclava.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 01/10/22 at 16:42:34

ohiomoto wrote on 01/10/22 at 14:38:00:
In the 70s it was all RWD vehicles with snow tires.  The question was to stud or not to stud.  

Yep.  After school (and one summer)....I worked at a gas station in Lisbon, Ohio that also had a tire shop.  We sold and mounted recap snow tires and they cost $12-$15 each.....adding studs was $2 a tire!  We had a little hand held pneumatic gun that loaded the studs into the tread - you stuck the end of the gun in each hole and pulled the trigger!

If you wanted to go anywhere in the winter - you needed snow tires.  Our pickup had chains we could put on if the snow got really deep.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #28 - 01/10/22 at 17:51:16

I'm thinking the studs in the tires sounds like a better idea than all the salt.
But
That may be why I'm not in charge of things ?

I had a pair of SNOW TIRES with studs on a 1971 Datsun one time , on ice that car would do wheelies !    
but
on wet pavement it was all over the place like me on roller skates !  

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 01/11/22 at 07:34:04

A complaint of the studded tires was that they tore up pavement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:37:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › How cold is TOO COLD !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.