Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stock Carb Rebuild Kits (Read 160 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Stock Carb Rebuild Kits
Reply #30 - 01/02/22 at 17:23:51

I went to the Parts Unlimited website and tried to find the kit.  Searching using the motorcycle make, year & model gave zero results.  They list no parts at all for a Suzuki LS650.  However, if you search using their part number 1003-1386 the kit pops onto the screen.  Unfortunately, it is out of stock.  That’s a bad sign.  No listings at all for make & model, and the part number shows out of stock.  Slim pickins for the stock carburetor.

Have any of you tried one of these Parts Unlimited kits?  If yes, how did it work?  Where did you get it?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 01/02/22 at 17:25:28

I haven’t tried installing the All About Carbs kit.  It seems fruitless.  My engine is highly modified.  I have almost no confidence that it will even run with that kit installed in the stock carb.  I doubt that a bone-stock LS650 will run correctly with this kit.  The only parts in the kit that look useable are the float needle, the filter/screen for the needle seat, the o-ring for the needle seat, and the clip for the slide needle.  The shame here is the manufacturer of this kit has the skill and equipment to make the parts.  The machine work is good.  If they made the parts to the correct dimensions the kit would be OK.

I think the key to this issue is to look carefully at the picture of any kit you are considering.  If you see the bogus mixture screw, then I wouldn’t buy the kit because you know up front that at least one of the parts in the kit isn’t gonna work.  If you have a bike like B-Will, that runs lousy, and you see the mixture screw way out of whack, it’s a good indication that someone put one of these joke kits into the carb.  I can just imagine how difficult it would be to troubleshoot.  Every circuit in the carb (idle, mid-range, high-speed) would be completely out-of-whack.  What a nightmare.  It’s cruel.

I generally recommend OEM parts when it comes to the stock carburetor.  However, the stock stuff is getting prohibitively expensive and scarce.  Maybe one of the Parts Unlimited 1003-1386 kits will do the job.  The trick is to find one.  If any of you have used one of these kits it would be nice to hear about your experience.

I hope some of you find this post useful.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #32 - 01/02/22 at 18:18:53

Mike, I had tears coming from my eyes on that write up!  The "blow with mouth" test...   Grin Grin Grin  Coming from a quality control career in metal fabrication, I like how you operate!  Maybe someday we can have a cold one.  Maybe.   Cool

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #33 - 01/02/22 at 19:04:57

Another great post DBM.

Only genuine Mikuni or Keihin parts for me.  

I believe most people that come on here asking about rebuilding their carbs are about to do more harm than good.  There really isn't much to "wear out" in these things other than the coating on the slides and the float needle.  If it's "dirty" tossing a fresh main and pilot might be in order, but most other parts (the ones NOT sitting in fuel in the bowl) are usually salvageable.

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #34 - 01/11/22 at 19:21:00

Excellent write up, DBM!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home