Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
02 intruder starter motor turns w/o pushing start (Read 119 times)
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

02 intruder starter motor turns w/o pushing start
01/01/22 at 05:26:01

The problem is intermittent. If it happens the bike can't be turned off unless you pull the battery terminal. Checked the starter relay and it's ok.
Looking at the electrical diagram you see that the start control circuit (controls the timing for start and decompression) is energized regardless of ignition key or start button. I put a new battery in and think that there can be more than 15V for a moment which makes the control circuit fail turning on the start relay. Is my theory correct? Will pull the YB wire at the starter relay to test next time it happens. Now that's a darn poor and UNSAVE design of the start control circuit if i'm right.
The rectifier /regulator could also be the culprit. Anyone can recommend a good, strong regulator that will handle a poor absorption of the battery which then won't accept much current and the voltage goes up?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: 02 intruder starter motor turns w/o pushing st
Reply #1 - 01/01/22 at 05:54:06

Your theory is incorrect. There is no way for a battery to have a charge state of 15v. However, a stuck starter does become a generator and can add voltage/current to the system. More likely is the starter clutch isn’t working, thereby keeping the starter engaged.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/01/22 at 07:11:14

Rubber side down is strictly for savage related issues and the cafe for all others.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/01/22 at 07:16:27

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/01/22 at 05:54:06:
Your theory is incorrect. There is no way for a battery to have a charge state of 15v. However, a stuck starter does become a generator and can add voltage/current to the system. More likely is the starter clutch isn’t working, thereby keeping the starter engaged.

The starter motor should be isolated from the battery with the relay off.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/01/22 at 07:20:14

Sailor wrote on 01/01/22 at 05:26:01:
Looking at the electrical diagram you see that the start control circuit (controls the timing for start and decompression) is energized regardless of ignition key or start button. I put a new battery in and think that there can be more than 15V for a moment which makes the control circuit fail turning on the start relay. Is my theory correct? Will pull the YB wire at the starter relay to test next time it happens. Now that's a darn poor and UNSAFE design of the start control circuit if i'm right.

The savage has the same design.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/01/22 at 07:29:27

Sailor wrote on 01/01/22 at 05:26:01:
The problem is intermittent. If it happens the bike can't be turned off unless you pull the battery terminal. Checked the starter relay and it's ok.

It sounds like you have a short.  Probably in the wiring harness. In the savage there's a branch that goes to the battery and another to the decomp control, probably around there.
Quote:
The rectifier /regulator could also be the culprit. Anyone can recommend a good, strong regulator that will handle a poor absorption of the battery which then won't accept much current and the voltage goes up?

You can pull the r/r and the bike will operate off the battery for awhile to test your theory.

WWW   IP Logged
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/01/22 at 09:25:49

OK,
let's start with a failing starter clutch. In that case there's no power/current from the battery flowing to or from the starter motor, because the starter relay is open. That means the bike should turn off!
Secondly, a wiring short. I can not complete rule that out. The wiring in in good shape though, but i will measure to see whether there is any voltage, even small, on the YB wire which energizes the starter relay. Also there aren't many hot wires on the bike with the ignition off where it could short to, only hot to starter relay and to the start control circuit. Does anyone have a detailed circuit diagram of the start control?
Last comment: I disagree that the voltage on the lead acid battery can not be raised above 15V even with a small current. Actually, this is used to recondition the battery, revers a bit of sulfation. The bike regulators are primitive and dump excessive power by shorting a half cyle in the AC voltage of the stator. This may not be enough. The problem i have seen was after a trickle charger was on the battery for a while. So it was fully charged and the battery was new (unknown absorption characteristic).
Currently there is an aftermarket regulator on the bike. Would like to replace it with a known strong regulator able to dump 100-150W. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 01/01/22 at 09:42:13

I meant static charge state. You can charge a battery to 24 volts - it won’t last, but it certainly won’t hold that charge. A healthy battery will always return to 12.8vdc regardless of how much energy you put into it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/01/22 at 11:17:58

Agreed. The problem is when charging. If there is overvoltage, then it takes awhile even with a strong regulator to settle it, say at 13.8-14.5 volt charging voltage. Reason is the battery is a huge "capacitor".
The question becomes whether Suzuki has designed its electronic to handle overvoltage or whether their timing circuit for starting trips unintentionally at overvoltage. Understood, there is a starting clutch, but imagine going 80mph and the starter motor engages all of a sudden.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #9 - 01/01/22 at 12:41:48

Intruders were great bikes when they were new. As they get older then they  can rapidly become a money pit. Especially if they were neglected and abused. The rubber fuel lines deteriorate from age and only the factory molded lines will fit so be ready for that one, they aren't cheap. Same for the clutch and brake hoses when they start to fail. When your fuel pump begins to act up, it will be the relay. There is more than one version of the relay and they are different so be ready for that gotcha when it happens too. A lot of Intruders end up in the scrap heap because the cost to repair them became greater than their value.

IP Logged
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/01/22 at 14:32:01

Don't think the problem I described has anything to do with aging, other than replacing the old battery.
I will get to the bottom of it by pulling the control relay when the starter is acting up again. If the starter motor still runs, I may have a short of the YB wire to a hot red wire, although unlikely. Pulling the YB wire at the starter relay will then proof that it's not a hung relay. All very logical.
Money pit - as with anything else repairs will cost you a lot and may be improper - so DIY! Also, there isn't enough innovation justifying buying a new bike/car/boat every couple of years.  
BTW, stay on subject - i.e. the technical stuff.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/01/22 at 14:39:58

You can stop that from happening. Put a switch in the line that activates the solenoid.
Start it up, flip it off. Time to start it, flip it on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/01/22 at 15:31:36

a switch, yes thought about that. Here's the problem with it. assume your bike stalls in the middle of an intersection. You want to restart quickly and not have to throw a second switch.
Fixing it is best. If the problem lies in the start control circuit, I rather bypass it because it's adding just a 0.7 second delay (and Suzuki has to answer some questions). Not sure the starter button is spec'd to drive the starter relay directly - must check.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/01/22 at 15:48:04

Yep.
Best is fix it.
I know that.
But reality is what reality is.
Sometimes Best isn't in the cards.
Best is fix the oil leak.
But the solution is costly in time and parts.
Add oil.
You didn't Say you had considered a switch.
You presented a problem and asked for solutions.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sailor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/02/22 at 13:02:58

Thanks to everyone for their inputs - and a happy new year.

To follow up: so far i can not replicate the problem - and i have ridden for several hours.
Here's the new theory: the only difference at the time the problem occurred was that the bike had been on a trickle charger for a day or so. The post 97 vs1400 have the rectifier/regulator (RR) directly and always connected (through a fuse) to the battery. Did not disconnect the battery from the bike when it was on the trickle (1A) charger. The charger goes to 14-14.5V and most likely the IC in RR wakes up and wants to regulate - but the loop is broken because there's no power from the stator and the SCRs  don't do a thing. So the IC of the RR probably rails causing the RR not to work for awhile after the bike is started, which in turn can lead to overvoltage causing havoc, like the starter motor to turn on.
Any comments? Does the bike has to be disconnected from the battery when on trickle charger?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 07:25:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › 02 intruder starter motor turns w/o pushing start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.