Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Full stainless exhaust? (Read 252 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Full stainless exhaust?
Reply #15 - 01/02/22 at 17:25:47

Dave wrote on 01/02/22 at 15:54:23:
och wrote on 01/01/22 at 18:25:10:
I wonder, if I were to have a new one made, welded out of stainless steel pipe, but with no muffler at all

a) Would it be too obnoxiously loud?
b) Would I have have to rejet the carb? I did not reject when I installed the HD Dyna muffler, it seems to run fine.

Yes.....it would be hatefully loud.  (Folks would hate you).

Open pipes run poorly.  The engine needs some restriction to break up the pressure pulses and keep the pressure waves from doing bad things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg&t=6s

I see, I guess I'll just live with rusty exhaust Sad

It's beyond me why manufacturers use mild steel with chrome plating instead of just going with stainless to begin with.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/02/22 at 17:30:31

Are there shops that can fabricate custom stainless exhaust with stainless muffler?

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/02/22 at 17:44:02

Or is there just a stainless steel muffler that works with our bikes, I can get the rest of the pipe made.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #18 - 01/02/22 at 17:53:38

If you want to go the route of having a custom exhaust built out of stainless steel, I recommend Burns Stainless. They won't build you an exhaust, but they can supply all of the materials, bends, etc.

https://burnsstainless.com/

These guys have every type of bend, diameter, length, etc. that would work in custom fabrication of an exhaust.  Keep in mind that the term "custom" also means you better be willing to open your wallet.  I really wanted to go with a high exhaust on my tracker, but I knew it would be expensive and I would need someone to weld it for me - I don't have TIG weld ability.  The end can be quieted down by many different muffler choices - Supertrap, and a number of four stroke dirt bike mufflers, also made of stainless.  But you need to be a really good TIG welder, or pay a professional to weld it for you.  Out of all the alloys, stainless steel moves the most with heat.  DIY in stainless means you better know what you are doing.  

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #19 - 01/02/22 at 17:59:51

I might also add that a single wall SS tube will discolor with heat greatly.  It will eventually turn a brownish, golden, bluish color that is not necessarily pretty.  Here is a picture of the muffler system I built for my Baja Bug (running a Subaru motor) out of stainless - this discoloration is from welding the tubing together.  It has not been run yet in this pic.  Gives you an idea of what the color will end up as.

20170916_125800.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/02/22 at 18:19:29

I actually own a metal shop, and we often fabricate stainless steel handrails. I generally use schedule 40 1-1/4" pipe, where the 1-1/4 is inside diameter and the wall is roughly 3/16" for 1-5/8" outside diameter. I don't have the capability to bend pipe, I usually buy all the elbows pre-bent. I have TIG, MIG and stick welding machines.

Obviously 3/16" thick pipe is an overkill for an exhaust, but I can always do schedule 10 pipe, or get 1/8" wall round tubes instead of pipe. However, I do not have a capability to make my own stainless muffler, I have no idea what type of internals it uses.

As far as stainless discoloring from the welding or heat, we generally grind and burnish/polish the pipe after fabrication to a nice brushed or even polished finishes, but if a finish is not required, I have a machine that cleans weld and heat discoloration from stainless.

https://capitalweldcleaners.com/1x30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLXzlkKsuvM

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/03/22 at 02:43:50

OCH:

It looks like you are well equipped to make your own exhaust system from stainless.

I have bought stainless from Burns and they are a great company.....I have also bought stainless from Cone Engineering, and they make a line of stainless mufflers for motorcycles.  For street use you will want to use the Quiet Core mufflers.....the others are straight through and really won't do much to keep the noise down to acceptable levels.
https://www.coneeng.com/

If you want to build your own muffler that is quiet and flows great, DragBikeMike has an entire thread dedicated to building mufflers that kill the noise while keeping the flow rate up.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1609379913

I have seen the factory stainless exhaust system on Ducati and BMW that turn brown - however I do have a bit of experience with stainless exhaust systems on my Honda NT700, and the stainless system was not hard to keep shiny, it just needed to be cleaned/polished once a year to keep the brown away.  The same is true of the stainless system on my F800GT - I polished it 14,000 miles ago and it still looks good.....it does have a slight yellow tint but it is still shiny.  I used Burns Manifold Destiny to clean it - I don't see it on the Burns Website anymore.  I don't use expensive microfiber cloths for polishing - I use old socks, flannel sheets, old T-shirts, etc.  Bar Keepers Friend also works fine on stainless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9WDK105Bk

I recently bought a used Akropovic stainless header for my R1200RT.  It came from a GS model and it was very brown after 40,000 miles of use.  I sanded and polished it and it is now very shiny, and I will attempt to keep it nice looking.  I did a process called Citric Acid Passification where you mix Citric Acid to a 4-10% concentration by weight and you soak the stainless for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.  The process is supposed to neutralize any impurities in the stainless that will rust or discolor it - and make the stainless more resistant to discoloration......I don't know if it helps with heat but I thought it was worth a try.  I got the Citric Acid at Walmart where they have the products for canning food.  So far I have only ridden about 70 miles after installing it and the weather has been cool - but it has not yet started to get any tint (I suspect it will as the miles increase and summer heat returns........or I have to sit at a long traffic light or get stuck in a traffic jam).

« Last Edit: 01/03/22 at 05:53:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/03/22 at 04:41:40

Dave, thank you for all the great info, I will probably attempt to make an exhaust in the near (or not so near) future.

I am not very concerned about discoloration, as it is generally just cosmetic and the exhaust wont rust, and there is no chrome to peel. The machine I have to clean the stainless, I paid over 2k for years ago, but now there are a bunch of Chinese knock offs for less than $200 - and it cleans stainless without applying any mechanical/abrasive polishing. But with stainless, even if you do scratch it, it is easy to polish it and remove scratches, unlike chrome plating.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/03/22 at 04:50:10

Dave wrote on 01/03/22 at 02:43:50:
OCH:
I recently bought a used Akropovic stainless header for my R1200RT.  It came from a GS model and it was very brown after 40,000 miles of use.  I sanded and polished it and it is not very shiny, and I will attempt to keep it nice looking.  I did a process called Citric Acid Passification where you mix Citric Acid to a 4-10% concentration by weight and you soak the stainless for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.  The process is supposed to neutralize any impurities in the stainless that will rust or discolor it - and make the stainless more resistant to discoloration......I don't know if it helps with heat but I thought it was worth a try.  I got the Citric Acid at Walmart where they have the products for canning food.  So far I have only ridden about 70 miles after installing it and the weather has been cool - but it has not yet started to get any tint (I suspect it will as the miles increase and summer heat returns........or I have to sit at a long traffic light or get stuck in a traffic jam).

If you want to mechanically polish it, you need a machine like this, they come with different belts, and you can do #8 mirror finish or #4 or #6 brushed finishes. They run for about $150 on amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAEF0KEB50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhARKPkCaBg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #24 - 01/03/22 at 08:49:58

Most plating shops have a process called passivation for stainless.  It is an acid dip that dissolves any free iron molecules left on the stainless from working the metal with tools (dies for bending, cutting tools, etc.).  If these free iron molecules are not removed they will start to cause rust.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/03/22 at 09:23:04

I did the passification at home using Citric Acid.  Evidently the home version is used by the folks who brew beer to keep their stainless pots from corroding.

It looks good now that it is done - I just don't know how long it will stay like that!  But as you say......it won't rust or the chrome won't peel.

r1200stainless.jpg

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/03/22 at 13:16:01

TheSneeze wrote on 01/03/22 at 08:49:58:
Most plating shops have a process called passivation for stainless.  It is an acid dip that dissolves any free iron molecules left on the stainless from working the metal with tools (dies for bending, cutting tools, etc.).  If these free iron molecules are not removed they will start to cause rust.

The worst thing is when someone works with regular steel and stainless in the same shop. Regular steel dust, saw and grinder steel sparks etch into the stainless, and then it gets rusty spots that are deep and hard to polish out.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #27 - 01/03/22 at 14:46:39

I recently had a header ceramic coated black by local paint/ceramic shop here in Jersey not far from NYC. They charged 75.00 to do it. I do have a dyna muffler, as well as a chrome VooDoo slash cut with some blueing available. The VooDoo is pretty new, blued  almost instantly. It could probably be ceramic coated black, but it’s probably cheaper to buy a new black one.

A Savage without baffles is obnoxiously loud, and I’m a ride loud, ride safe adherent. Also it just sounds sick, read not sic, without any baffles. It’s like a whiny lawnmower.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/05/22 at 10:32:33

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #29 - 01/05/22 at 16:00:51

This guy lives 20 miles from me, mechanical genius/fabricator. Never had a reason to visit, don't wish to intrude. Sad, he had a trailer with an aermacchi 350 roadracer stolen awhile back.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Full stainless exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.