Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Relocating rear signals?? (Read 167 times)
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Relocating rear signals??
12/31/21 at 13:51:37

I will be needing to move my signal lights to install my bags, and the most obvious way would be to attach them to the license plate mount, but it seems like a really weak piece of what I assume is some sort of metal. It's almost looks like plastic. I don't want to drill holes in the tail end of my fender, and have even wondered if I could use light strips and attach them to the bags. I welcome any,and all advice that you can offer me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Relocating rear signals??
Reply #1 - 12/31/21 at 14:24:42

The license plate bracket is aluminum and people have been hanging the signals off of it for a long time.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1118286882

WWW   IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/31/21 at 14:40:02

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/21 at 14:24:42:
The license plate bracket is aluminum and people have been hanging the signals off of it for a long time.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1118286882

Thanks. I figured it was probably aluminum, but it just looks like a piece of brittle plastic, and I didn't want to break it.  Does anyone know what size hole the signals mount in?

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 01/01/22 at 11:22:53

I tried some aftermarket incandescent turn signals mounted to one of the typical flat, steel brackets on the license plate bracket.  They ended up leaking, water got in and rusted them.  

The factory signals are actually pretty good if you aren't building a bobber, cafe or something that needs smaller, more discreet signals.  

There are some great ideas on this forum for relocating the rear signals.  I'll attach some thoughts on how I did mine cheap and easy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_mv3ALoOQv6JPPEfvuhlBi9brG_-Q0n/view?usp=sh...

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/01/22 at 16:00:49

What kind of bags are you using, with stock backs you dont need to move the turn signals.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/01/22 at 18:11:13

och wrote on 01/01/22 at 16:00:49:
What kind of bags are you using, with stock backs you dont need to move the turn signals.

The bags that I now intend to use are Saddleman bags . The guy I got them from had them on a big Victory. I think they will be a little big for the bike, but I don't think they will be too hard to mount on the bike with all the mounting stuff I got with them, but I will definitely need to move the signals. The set I ordered would have fit the bike a lot better, and look a lot better, because they are cut at an angle to clear the shocks, and they are small but fairly deep. I will probably replace the small ones on my little Virago with them, because it has a trunk. If I do stick with the big Saddleman bags on the Savage, I won't need a trunk.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/01/22 at 19:09:47

I am posting pictures of the bags that I ordered, and the big ones I found listed on Facebook the next day.  The ones I bought used are not perfect, but still very good. They are missing one decorative stud, and have a scuff,or two. There is nothing wrong with the straps though. I guess he just had one loose when he took the picture.I will be posting them on his bike to show the size.

Screenshot_20220101-213404.png
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/01/22 at 19:14:26

I guess I can only post one pic at a time. Here are the ones I ordered,and have coming b from India.

Screenshot_20220101-212214.png
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/01/22 at 19:17:06

They look small enough, I don't think you'll have to mess with your signals.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/01/22 at 19:25:22

och wrote on 01/01/22 at 19:17:06:
They look small enough, I don't think you'll have to mess with your signals.

I am sure I could use the ones I ordered without moving them, but I held one of the ones I bought used up against my bike yesterday, and I don't see see any way of mounting them without moving the lights. I don't expect January to be ad mild as December was, so I will not get in too big of a hurry mounting them ,at least till I see the ones I ordered in person. .I know they would look better on a smaller bike like the Savage. I may change my mind,and use them after all.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 01/02/22 at 09:40:47

Those bags from India have some character.  I like 'em.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/02/22 at 09:44:07

Yeah, I like those small bags too, they look far better with the styling of the S40 than the larger bags. Also, the small bags are soft and stretchy, so they will fit a lot more than you think, the larger bags are generally very hard and a pain in the ass to use. I have a set of similar large bags on my V Star 950, I rarely use them, I mostly use the trunk.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/02/22 at 10:33:05

och wrote on 01/02/22 at 09:44:07:
Yeah, I like those small bags too, they look far better with the styling of the S40 than the larger bags. Also, the small bags are soft and stretchy, so they will fit a lot more than you think, the larger bags are generally very hard and a pain in the ass to use. I have a set of similar large bags on my V Star 950, I rarely use them, I mostly use the trunk.

I kinda regret getting the big bags, and may not use them yet. I didn't realize how roomy the bags would be until I found the same ones on Amazon , except I don't think they have black. They have pictures with some of the reviews, and even though I didn't see any on a Savage, or mounted behind the shock, like I would do , I think they would be great mounted behind the shock on a Savage, because they are slanted on one side. Here is a picture from Amazon reviews

Screenshot_20220101-223948.png
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/02/22 at 11:36:26

Evanswv wrote on 01/02/22 at 10:33:05:
och wrote on 01/02/22 at 09:44:07:

I kinda regret getting the big bags, and may not use them yet. I didn't realize how roomy the bags would be until I found the same ones on Amazon , except I don't think they have black. They have pictures with some of the reviews, and even though I didn't see any on a Savage, or mounted behind the shock, like I would do , I think they would be great mounted behind the shock on a Savage, because they are slanted on one side. Here is a picture from Amazon reviews

Yep, these will look great behind the shock! Mind sharing the link where you've got them? I might replace mine with the same ones.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/02/22 at 11:53:19

Huh Cool Shockeds [/quote]

Yep, these will look great behind the shock! Mind sharing the link where you've got them? I might replace mine with the same ones.
[/quote]
I bought mine from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-L-R-Side-Motorcycle-Saddlebags-Pouch-Bags-Pa....  The shipping will be slow, but they can be had from Amazon ad well, but unless I missed the black ones ,all I saw were brown, or tan. I couldn't get the link to the ones I bought to work. I think I got the last black for $50. I saw these for $54. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GVB-Black-Leather-L-R-Side-Motorcycle-Saddlebags-Pou....  It has "Make an offer" for them, so you may get them for a couple bucks less.  Mine said the same thing they were listed at $50.60, and my inner tightwad made me offer $47, but about 2 hours later they message back with the counter offer of $50.00, and I bought them. They have some bags that are the same shape, but smaller, and they have some 3 bag sets which include a fork bag. I will post a link to the tan or brown bags I saw on Amazon. This set is cheaper, but I think they are the same, as the next ones, according to the measurements they aren't exactly the same measurements, but I still think they are the https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Handicraft-Motorcycle-Saddlebags-Valentine/dp/....            Here are the others      https://www.amazon.com/LBH-Motorcycle-Leather-Saddlebags-Panniers/dp/B07CTD64...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Relocating rear signals??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.