Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Plug… (Read 217 times)
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Re: Plug…
Reply #15 - 12/31/21 at 06:44:46

I thought if it was brownish it was running rich and purple/blue was lean?

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #16 - 12/31/21 at 06:45:18

I am starting over with a 50 pilot and 155 mange it this morning we’re going to see how this goes

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 12/31/21 at 07:27:22

If you are talking about the head pipe, the chrome discolors when it gets hot. Lean running makes the bike run hotter. I’ve seen Savages discolor the head pipe all the way back to the muffler joint.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #18 - 12/31/21 at 07:51:01

Use a GoPro camera. of a cell phone on a mount to take video.  Use the same section of road, in the same direction each pass.  When you upload the video to your computer, you can time the distance between land marks on each pass to find out the change.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #19 - 12/31/21 at 08:09:46

OK just ran it with a 55 pilot and 155 main, at first the idle wanted to sound like a Harley but I got that squared away, then dropped it in the first and holy nuts she’s running like she supposed to. backfire is all but gone, with a 35 pilot and 158 Main, every time I would downshift it sounded like I was being chased by the Taliban. Now there’s no popping between gear shifts..

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 12/31/21 at 10:03:45

The plug is dry and the insulator looks clean (and green). This bikes jetting could stand to be richer on the pilot, but mostly on the needle. Look up the white spacer mod…and note the use of #4 washers as an alternative to resizing the spacer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #21 - 12/31/21 at 10:08:03

Gary, its a PWK 40mm I have it on the fourth groove towards the rich side

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #22 - 12/31/21 at 13:45:55

Sorry, I didn’t pick up on that. You may need a richer profile needle. If there is another clip position, give it a try. With that said, while plug reading is a good confirmation of what you are feeling, it’s best to jet for best throttle response.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 12/31/21 at 15:03:12

Dude, please don’t take offense.  I can’t understand half of what you ask.  It’s also very frustrating to go through a lot of trouble to provide you with detailed advice only to have you completely ignore it.

First, your plug looks OK except for some balls of crud in the shell.  Hopefully those are combustion products and not metal.  Metal balls usually accumulate on the ceramic insulator when you have problems with overheating and/or detonation, but I suppose they could also accumulate on the metal shell.  I assume you are running unleaded pump gas.  Your color looks OK as best as I can tell from a photo.  Also, plug color checks aren’t much use unless they are performed in a specific manner, which I’m not gonna go into.  For now, let’s just say that aside from the balls on the shell, it doesn’t look like anything bad is goin on.  But if the balls are metallic, you might be hurtin it.  Keep in mind you were runnin it with the main jet closed off by the drain plug, so any metallic deposits might have accumulated during the time it was grossly lean.

I circled the balls in yellow.  Sorry, I can’t enlarge your photo, don’t know why.

Dudes_Plug_Balls.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 12/31/21 at 15:05:30

You are running a #8 spark plug which is the correct heat range.  You might wanna switch to a #9 if it will tolerate the colder plug.

The discoloration on your muffler could be caused from a catalyst.  I’m not sure exactly what muffler you have, but in a prior post you said it was a Dyna muffler.  You provided a picture into the muffler taken from the rear of the bike.  It’s hard to see, but it almost looks as if someone punched through the center plate and exposed the catalytic element.  Hard to tell from the photo.  Dyna mufflers with a catalytic element run real hot, like glow in the dark hot.  That’s because they weren’t intended to be run with a carburetor, which generally runs much richer than a fuel injected system.

If you look in the inlet side of your muffler, does it have one of these honeycombs?  Can you see anything like this if you look up the rear end of the muffler?  If yes, then that’s why the outside looks overheated, because it’s overheating, because it’s got a catalytic element.  I doubt you will be able to correct that running a PWK.

Dyna_Muffler_Inlet_2_002.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 12/31/21 at 15:08:32

You say you are running a #35 pilot jet in your PWK.  That should be correct.  Based on what you say, it sounds correct.

Your needle jet size is unknown, and your needle size and taper are unknown.  I can’t help you with the needle jet and needle because I have no idea what you are working with.  Based on what you say, it sounds like the needle jet and needle are working good.

Reply #19 today:  “holy nuts she’s running like she supposed to”.

I continue to be totally bamboozled about your main jet.  A #155?  A #158?  What are these jets?  Where did you get them?  Are they Keihin jets?  Mikuni jets?  Custom handmade jets?  For example, a Mikuni #155 hex jet for a VM has a .044” hole, while a Mikuni #155 large round jet for a BS40 has a .064” hole, while a Keihin #155 long hex jet for a PWK has a .060” hole.  What sort of #155 main jet do you have in there?  Picture please?

I’m glad you are having fun with your Savage HotRod.  It sounds like the PWK works good.  Do I have that correct?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #26 - 12/31/21 at 20:58:17

Yes sir I am having a great time with her !! Since I did the mods that you covered in our forum! But I digress, I did not get them from jets or us. I ordered them off of Amazon. Ordered probably two sets of each of these different configurations. Didn’t like the smallest one. I just got in the short hex Jets today and like you said, ordering these Japanese or knock off jets no Bueno. I had to take a sixteenths inch drill bit into one of these jets I just got today but I haven’t ran it yet busy partying for New Year’s but had time to look on this lol , rule number 1/no riding motorcycle while intoxicated!

86B51DFF-2CF4-4B0D-B724-A06286F8B768.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #27 - 01/01/22 at 21:43:05

I guess I’m a huge proponent of learning the hard way. Do you not, and I repeat do not buy jets from Amazon. Do as drag bike Mike says and get them from a reputable place. Also, DBM you’re gonna love this stuff. I’m sure you were familiar with how far out my main jet was sticking into the bowl cap? I had taken the Main out 100 times… than the last time I take it out this little fella falls out behind it.

3E4762A7-C28E-47E2-8F5E-0ACF771FBD80.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #28 - 01/01/22 at 21:44:35

Lookin better?

7EDA7962-3FDE-4D54-BFE8-9D248AB82439.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #29 - 01/01/22 at 21:46:27

Also here’s a picture inside of my lower G.I.

(inlet side of muffler)

31AA90BA-3D1A-43A0-9C54-09A321C2A28C.jpeg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug…

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.