Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT? (Read 485 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?
Reply #75 - 05/21/23 at 03:56:21

Did you check the clutch basket for axial play?  It should have about .008" - .010" axial play.  The basket is captured between the two washers.  Make sure the larger diameter washer is against the input shaft ball bearing, and the smaller diameter washer is against the clutch hub.  The yellow arrow indicates the space between the washers.  If that space is too small the clutch will bind and drag.

Journal_and_Thrust_Washers.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 05/21/23 at 04:01:14

Install the basket, washers, spacer & hub.  Leave out the pressure disc and the plates.  Tighten the hub nut.  Verify that the basket can move in & out about .008" to .010", and verify that the basket turns free on the spacer/journal.

Basket_Thrust__008_to__010.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 05/21/23 at 04:03:19

As I recall, your engine is basically stock.  You shouldn't need those heavy springs.  You might try running stock springs to see if they eliminate the drag.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #78 - 05/21/23 at 17:46:39

I didnt do the work myself, I had a shop do it, but they are a reputable shop. I'll see what happens in the next few weeks as I break in the clutch.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 05/23/23 at 03:37:00

Why don't you take it back to the shop?  At least go on record as having a problem with the clutch.  It shouldn't drag.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #80 - 05/23/23 at 09:59:10

Yeah, its definitely dragging. Stalled in the first today at a red light with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Seems to drag only in 1st gear though, and 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are hard, 2-5 and 5-2 are effortless.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #81 - 05/23/23 at 10:10:24

I spoke to the shop owner, he is claiming Barnett springs are longer and firmer than OEM and this is why its binding. Does that sound legit?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #82 - 05/23/23 at 14:23:06

You are not the first to buy them. Unless they changed something, I'm pretty sure they fit. You might need to get one out and crush it to coil bind, or could the problem be the length of the rod?
Have you tried not bringing the lever to the handlebars? Stock clutch allows shifting with very little pull on it.
See if you can roll it, in gear, without pulling it all the way. Maybe a cable adjustment will let you work with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 05/23/23 at 14:57:43

it sounds like your clutch might not be properly adjusted.
there's not a lot of extra throw in the lever and being slightly off will cause it to drag.

take a look at the lever on the case for the clutch.
behind it you'll see 2 marks that show the range the clutch works in.
at rest, the lever will drop towards the bottom one and when pulled in may rise above the top one.
use your hand and pull up the lever just to take out the freeplay, approximately where's the lever?
the lower the better.
is there a lot of freeplay?
less is better but none and you're clutch will slip.

at this point you're not looking at cable adjustment, we're trying to determine the throw rod length.
too short a throw rod and you'll reduce the clutch travel.
too long and the clutch will slip.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 05/24/23 at 05:59:41

Ok, so played with the clutch lever adjustment and the adjustment on the clutch arm on the engine this morning - they are not the issue. Even if I completely eliminate any free play, it still acts the same exact way.

The clutch is dragging in 1st and in 2nd, and with the engine running 1-2 and 2-1 shifts take a lot of effort, and its impossible to catch neutral. When sitting at a stop the clutch is dragging slightly, and then longer you sit as the temperature goes up it drags more and more, RPMs start to drop and I even stalled a few times.

Shut off the engine, and once it cooled down for a minute or more and the shifts are effortless.

To add insult to the injury, look what happened while I was messing with the clutch arm. Completely demoralizing.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #85 - 05/24/23 at 07:13:26

If you still have the piece that broke off, find somebody that can weld with that low temp aluminum stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 05/24/23 at 07:55:49

verslagen1 wrote on 05/24/23 at 07:13:26:
If you still have the piece that broke off, find somebody that can weld with that low temp aluminum stuff.

Yeah, well, I happen to own a metal shop where we can weld anything, so I fixed it already. But I'm wondering on the fix for the dragging clutch. Can it really be caused by firmer and longer Barnett springs, or is it a lame excuse? What would be a proper way to fix it? Is it a matter of getting a longer/shorter rod?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #87 - 05/24/23 at 09:23:08

och wrote on 05/24/23 at 07:55:49:
But I'm wondering on the fix for the dragging clutch. Can it really be caused by firmer and longer Barnett springs, or is it a lame excuse? What would be a proper way to fix it? Is it a matter of getting a longer/shorter rod?

I think it's an excuse, maybe not entirely lame.  the springs are stiffer and will cause everything to be stressed more, so the real cause may just be peeking out from under a rock a bit and will bite you in the a$$ when you're not looking.

if your clutch is slipping, you need the stiffer springs.
if you don't have enough throw, you need to look at a longer throw out rod to get it in the optimal range.
the only other thing would be the cable.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 05/24/23 at 09:50:13

verslagen1 wrote on 05/24/23 at 09:23:08:
och wrote on 05/24/23 at 07:55:49:
But I'm wondering on the fix for the dragging clutch. Can it really be caused by firmer and longer Barnett springs, or is it a lame excuse? What would be a proper way to fix it? Is it a matter of getting a longer/shorter rod?

I think it's an excuse, maybe not entirely lame.  the springs are stiffer and will cause everything to be stressed more, so the real cause may just be peeking out from under a rock a bit and will bite you in the a$$ when you're not looking.

if your clutch is slipping, you need the stiffer springs.
if you don't have enough throw, you need to look at a longer throw out rod to get it in the optimal range.
the only other thing would be the cable.

The original clutch was slipping, that's why I had replaced it with a Barnett kit. I did not replace the rod or anything else.

It is not the matter of the cable adjustment, I've been trying to adjust it every which way today, it is still dragging no matter what I do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #89 - 05/24/23 at 09:55:32

Any chance the clutch pack isn't set up right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 09:58:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.