Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT? (Read 485 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?
Reply #60 - 05/05/23 at 10:47:24

The Barnett springs should not present a problem as long as you don't change the stack height of the clutch pack.  The Barnet pack is very close in height to the stock pack.  The Barnett springs have a lot more available travel, so you won't have any issues with coil bind.  I doubt you will have any problems.

If you want to be safe, contact Sneezy for one of his way cool clutch release cams.  They are twice as strong as the stock cam.  It will give you that extra measure of comfort.

This post did a pretty good study on the clutch assembly and finished up with a full test of the Sneezy's release cam.  That release cam is good as gold.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615547049

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 05/05/23 at 16:35:31

Yep, I saw that post, skipped through the thread, but I am not prepared to do all this work. For now I'll just replace the clutch with Barnett, and I should be good, hopefully it outlasts my original clutch by a good margin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #62 - 05/06/23 at 07:36:08

Some clutch cams break even if you have not changed anything. They are sintered metal and they included a ninety degree inside corner with No radius to spread stresses out. Changing the cam is nothing. It's a good idea to replace the O-Ring on the shaft. Watching oil keep that area wet is irritating..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 05/06/23 at 11:39:02

OCH, my intent was not for you to do the DR hub mod.  I thought the info on clutch pushrod setup, spring pressure & travel, and release cam upgrade and testing would be useful to you.

As I recall, you mentioned that your clutch started slipping at very low mileage.  That sounds unusual.  You also don't sound like you are the type that runs the guts out of a motorcycle.  That seems inconsistent with a slipping clutch problem at low mileage.  So, I suspect your slippage was due to either incorrect adjustment, or some issue with oil.

As the friction plates wear, the release plate moves outward, toward the release cam.  That moves the pushrod closer to the cam, and in turn gobbles up any free play in the release mechanism.  That's why the pushrods come in various lengths.  As time goes on, there will be no more free play and the release mechanism will prevent the clutch from locking up.  At that point, you need to install a shorter pushrod.  So, you install a shorter pushrod to re-center the release arm between the marks on the engine case.  I believe my old post provides the gory details on that particular adjustment.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 05/06/23 at 15:56:18

Thanks Mike. Since I am replacing all the springs and plates, I imagine I should stay with the original length pushrod, which is what I intend to do.

As far as my clutch failing so early, I have no idea how it happened. It was always slipping from a dead stop up to 10mph, from what I can tell, but then it stopped doing it for a while and started slipping at higher speeds/rpms. Right now it bites tight from a stop, but accelerating past 70 is almost impossible, any moderate amount of throttle and it just slips.

My only theory is switching from synthetic back to mineral oil might have caused some kind of reaction that made the clutch fail prematurely, otherwise I have no idea. Most likely it was simply not set properly from the factory.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 05/18/23 at 17:53:39

Replaced the clutch with the Barnett kit. No more slipping, but because the springs are longer and firmed it takes more effort to pull in the clutch lever, more effort to switch gears, and its virtually impossible to shift into neutral.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #66 - 05/18/23 at 22:38:21

Naah,, the transmission will shift without using the clutch, it's Not easy to get the first to second shift, too big of a jump, but you can go from second to fifth and down to neutral without ever pulling the lever. Gotta shift with some Gusto, Coordinate the toe with a quick Throttle Off, immediate shift throttle on.
Downshift? Gotta get the gas set to Not load the gears step down and goose it, Just a quick bump, You can do that all the down to neutral,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 05/19/23 at 08:03:25

och wrote on 05/18/23 at 17:53:39:
Replaced the clutch with the Barnett kit. No more slipping, but because the springs are longer and firmed it takes more effort to pull in the clutch lever, more effort to switch gears, and its virtually impossible to shift into neutral.

Och did you replace the clutch cable as well? If you did make sure you lubricate it -- when I put my Barnett kit in with springs it was very hard to actuate the clutch untill I remembered I needed to lubricate my new cable!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #68 - 05/19/23 at 09:13:22

Routing is important, too.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 05/20/23 at 05:48:55

I have. relatively new stainless braided clutch cable, its working fine.

I notice when the engine is running and hot, its impossible to find neutral - the shifter takes more effort to switch 1-2 and 2-1 than it used to, and it just skips neutral. When the engine is off and cold, finding neutral is very easy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #70 - 05/20/23 at 10:10:18

the shifter takes more effort to switch 1-2 and 2-1 than it used to, and it just skips neutral

Because it's harder to get it to move, your foot, once the shifter starts moving, runs past neutral. Just a guess..

I'm wondering what is binding up when it's up to temperature.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #71 - 05/21/23 at 03:45:16

"Since I am replacing all the springs and plates, I imagine I should stay with the original length pushrod, which is what I intend to do."

You should base your pushrod selection on the release arm position; nothing else, just the position of the release arm.  Your clutch is dragging.  Did you check the release arm position?

Just place a large crescent wrench on the release arm and let the weight of the wrench take all the free play out of the release mechanism.  Don't push on the wrench, just let the weight of the wrench do the work.  The release arm should be centered in between the raised marks on the engine case.  If the release arm is too low, you need a shorter pushrod.  If the release arm is too high, you need a longer pushrod.  Note that as the clutch wears the release arm position will move lower.

Pushrod_Just_Right_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #72 - 05/21/23 at 03:46:58

Are you sure you assembled the wave washer correctly?

Wave_Washer_Installation_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 05/21/23 at 03:48:26

Did you verify that all the steel plates are flat?  Warped steel plates cause the clutch to drag.  You need to check them on a surface plate.

Flatness_Check.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 05/21/23 at 03:51:52

The clutch basket and primary driven gear have a bronze bushing.  Is that bushing in good condition.  If the bronze bushing has a burr or galling, it drags on the spacer that it runs on, which tries to turn the input shaft.  The end result is identical to clutch drag.  Hard shifting, difficulty finding neutral.

Primary_Driven_Gear__Basket_Bshg.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 09:32:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.