Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT? (Read 485 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?
Reply #30 - 04/15/23 at 13:43:39

It would take a pretty good carb flooding for it to be what I described.  Did the bike ever seriously flood since the last oil change?  It would take something pretty noticeable.  Dang on the 85mph for 2 hours!  I have no experience on these bikes doing that!  That might be the culprit, but that still seems like a lot of oil consumption.  Good luck. I’m outta ideas. Maybe somebody else with more experience with these bikes can weigh in.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/15/23 at 15:36:52

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/15/23 at 13:43:39:
It would take a pretty good carb flooding for it to be what I described.  Did the bike ever seriously flood since the last oil change?  It would take something pretty noticeable.  Dang on the 85mph for 2 hours!  I have no experience on these bikes doing that!  That might be the culprit, but that still seems like a lot of oil consumption.  Good luck. I’m outta ideas. Maybe somebody else with more experience with these bikes can weigh in.

Nah, I don't think there were any major flooding, if any, I think it may be just running the engine under high stress for a prolonged time. I know this bike isn't made for high speeds, but man it keeps up like a champ, and I'm having way more fun on it than the Harley guys have on theirs - they are just cruising their large displacement bikes at that speed, while mine feels like racing.

But I'm a bit worried about the consumption, because in the past I have ran it at WOT for 30-50ish mile distances, and ran it hard in the twisties with the sport bike riders, but it never consumed any oil. I wonder if mineral oil is more prone to consumption.

Now that I am thinking about it, I do smell burnt oil occasionally, and burn mineral oil has this very specific smell that reminds me of sunflower oil when its burning. Synthetic doesn't have this smell when it burns.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #32 - 04/15/23 at 16:48:46

I hope it’s not this, but it’s the first place I’d look.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 04/15/23 at 17:03:27

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/15/23 at 16:48:46:
I hope it’s not this, but it’s the first place I’d look.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Nope, no leaks here. I had a major leak last year from the starter o-ring, but that has been fixed, and not a drop anywhere ever since. My fork is leaking, but that is another story that I will take care of.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 04/16/23 at 19:46:46

To revisit this, can low oil level cause the clutch to slip, or is it likely to be fried by now?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 04/16/23 at 22:36:47

I don't think so.
low oil causes rougher shifting, which might be from the clutch not fully disengaging.

slipping usually caused by low spring force or bad adjustment

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/20/23 at 16:27:11

Oil just came in, added almost an entire quart, so at least 1.25 quart total added, meaning I was running the bike with .5 to .75 quart last time. Thats bad.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #37 - 04/20/23 at 16:39:23

Ya think?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #38 - 04/20/23 at 16:44:58

And the math of you doing 85mph for 2 hours doesn’t make sense either.  That would be 170 miles and beyond the fuel capacity of the bike even riding 65mph for 2 hours.  You are beyond an oil change.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #39 - 04/20/23 at 16:55:13

And yes, your clutch is beyond slipping.  Hope your carb is health and you aren’t blowing smoke. No smoke - outta oil to do that.  Good luck and may the force be with you.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 04/20/23 at 16:59:37

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/20/23 at 16:44:58:
And the math of you doing 85mph for 2 hours doesn’t make sense either.  That would be 170 miles and beyond the fuel capacity of the bike even riding 65mph for 2 hours.  You are beyond an oil change.

We did make a short fuel stop. I was getting terrible mileage too, about 25mpg at that speed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 04/20/23 at 19:34:56

Yeah, once you factor in the time at Zero mph to get gas it starts making sense to run slower and get better mileage and it will take less time to get there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 05/01/23 at 12:54:41

Been riding quite a bit today, and my clutch is done. Anything past 60 mph, twist the throttle moderately hard and its just slipping. Have to ease in the throttle to keep accelerating past 60mph.

I changed the oil over the weekend, went with synthetic Liqui Moly, will keep an eye on the level.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 05/01/23 at 12:55:33

How long can I expect the clutch to last before it completely cuts out?

Can you guys recommend what I need to purchase when I'm ready to do the repair?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #44 - 05/01/23 at 13:04:54

och wrote on 05/01/23 at 12:54:41:
I changed the oil over the weekend, went with synthetic Liqui Moly, will keep an eye on the level.

Using an oil with a high Moly concentration will CAUSE the clutch to slip. Can can only assume that it has a high concentration given it's name. You need to use a motorcycle oil that is formulated specifically for wet clutches or Shell Rotella which has proven to be safe for wet clutches.

When you did your oil change, did you inspect the oil for clutch plate friction material? Did it look almost silver or like someone added sparkles?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 07:03:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.