Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT? (Read 485 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?
Reply #15 - 12/26/21 at 15:05:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/26/21 at 12:10:11:
The lever needs to swing free a bit before you feel tension on the cable.
You are a big guy, so you probably blip the throttle and start letting the clutch out. Then you probably goose it when you feel the clutch enter the friction zone, to keep it running. I'd bet that if you played it easy getting it to ten mph and had the clutch lever all the way out and then pinned its ears back, it would not slip.

Thats pretty much what is happening.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/19/23 at 16:54:34

I recently realized the my clutch is no longer slipping. I went back to mineral oil in October/November of last year, and the issue went away. It was only happening with Synthetic Suzuki and Luqui Moly oils. I think I will stick to mineral oil from now on.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/24/23 at 09:08:50

och wrote on 03/19/23 at 16:54:34:
I recently realized the my clutch is no longer slipping. I went back to mineral oil in October/November of last year, and the issue went away. It was only happening with Synthetic Suzuki and Luqui Moly oils. I think I will stick to mineral oil from now on.

I was going to suggest Shell Rotella T4 (dino juice) with zinc (ZDDP additive) before I read your update.  I had almost the exact same issue you described when I was using Motorcycle-specific Valvoline synthetic (thought I was doing the bike a favor).  My clutch slippage vanished within 50 miles of switching to Shell Rotella.  Much cheaper too - like $17/gallon at Walmart.  

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/24/23 at 10:37:00

ThumperPaul wrote on 03/24/23 at 09:08:50:
och wrote on 03/19/23 at 16:54:34:

I was going to suggest Shell Rotella T4 (dino juice) with zinc (ZDDP additive) before I read your update.  I had almost the exact same issue you described when I was using Motorcycle-specific Valvoline synthetic (thought I was doing the bike a favor).  My clutch slippage vanished within 50 miles of switching to Shell Rotella.  Much cheaper too - like $17/gallon at Walmart.  

Yep, I too was thinking I was doing the bike a favor with the synthetic oil, turns out it like dino juice better. I will most definitely try the Shell oil for my next oil change. What is the recommended oil change interval with mineral oil? I used to do 2-3k on older cars with dino, and 5k on cars with synthetic.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 03/24/23 at 10:49:39

I change about every 1k miles (frequently).  I also consider total engine run time and not just miles.  I'm probably a frequent oil changer and every 2k would probably be fine.  But for about $9 an oil change without filter, why not.  I only replace the filter every other oil change.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/24/23 at 11:00:05

ThumperPaul wrote on 03/24/23 at 10:49:39:
I change about every 1k miles (frequently).  I also consider total engine run time and not just miles.  I'm probably a frequent oil changer and every 2k would probably be fine.  But for about $9 an oil change without filter, why not.  I only replace the filter every other oil change.

But here is a dilemma, since the clutch is slipping with synthetic and does not slip with mineral oil, it means that synthetic oil is indeed more slippery, and is probably good for the rotating parts inside the engine, but not good for the clutch.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/24/23 at 11:54:24

och wrote on 03/24/23 at 11:00:05:
ThumperPaul wrote on 03/24/23 at 10:49:39:

But here is a dilemma, since the clutch is slipping with synthetic and does not slip with mineral oil, it means that synthetic oil is indeed more slippery, and is probably good for the rotating parts inside the engine, but not good for the clutch.

Why I'm a believer in frequent oil changes.  You're not going to lose much lubricating quality at 1k change intervals.  You know this - an engine's worse enemy is an insufficient quantity of oil, causing low oil pressure, and oil not reaching the top of the valve train (don't overfill either, that blows gaskets).   I use 15W-40 in Houston.  Synthetic does collect more impurities - it is significantly darker quicker than conventional oil.  Coincidentally, I just changed my oil today.  The old dino juice still felt really good and it was a nice golden brown (not tar black).

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/24/23 at 12:58:16

Quote:
Why I'm a believer in frequent oil changes.  You're not going to lose much lubricating quality at 1k change intervals.  You know this - an engine's worse enemy is an insufficient quantity of oil, causing low oil pressure, and oil not reaching the top of the valve train (don't overfill either, that blows gaskets).   I use 15W-40 in Houston.  Synthetic does collect more impurities - it is significantly darker quicker than conventional oil.  Coincidentally, I just changed my oil today.  The old dino juice still felt really good and it was a nice golden brown (not tar black).

Good info. The engine and the rest of the components were designed for mineral oil anyway, so I'll just continue using it. Right now I have the Suzuki branded oil in it, but on the next oil change I will try the Shell product you recommended.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 03/24/23 at 13:31:40

The wise old gurus on this forum convinced me that Shell Rotella with ZDDP is THE JUICE!   The bikes were designed and developed in the pre-historic era (before the internet) and never argue against ancient wisdom!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 03/24/23 at 15:05:42

I'm pretty opinionated, but when someone has well over 100,000 miles on a motor, I'm probably going to ask
What oil do you use?
What filter?
How often do you change oil?
Filter?

For me, I ran dino. The oil usage changes as miles build. When oil use got bothersome to keep up with, I dumped the oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/24/23 at 17:04:24

Let the oil war begin!  Lol

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/15/23 at 11:33:33

I think my clutch is fried, with just over 6k on the clock. As I explained in my original post, at first I was having an issue with the clutch slipping under hard acceleration from dead stop - up to about 10mph, after which it would lock up and had did not slip at all even at WOT up to its top speed. I don't know if it was doing it since day one, this is my first bike that I bought new and learned to ride on, so I can't account for the first 1-2k miles, but it was most certainly happening after the first 2k miles onward.

The bike hasn't been ridden much over the years, but I remember doing the first oil change at 1k with Suzuki synthetic, the 2nd oil change at around 2.5k also with Suzuki synthetic, and then at about 4,5k with Liqui Moly synthetic motorcycle oil.

Then last year when I was battling a leak, I switched to Suzuki mineral oil, and coincidentally the problem seemed to go away. The clutch now locks up right from the dig and the bike pulls hard.

Right now I am sitting at about 6.5k, and a new problem has developed. Two weeks ago I went for a nice long ride and I noticed at going around top speed, 78-80 mph, increasing throttle slightly was sometimes causing the RPMs to jump  up, as if the clutch was pulled in. Where the highway had any sort of incline, it was impossible to make the bike reach 80, it would top out at 78ish at WOT, and it just felt weird, as if the engine wasn't transferring all of its power to the wheel. It didn't cross my mind that it may be the clutch, I thought that maybe the air was less dense since I was riding through the Pocono mountains.

Then for the last two weeks I've been playing with my carb and rejetting it with the kit that Lancer sent me. I got the engine running well, but now my clutch is certainly slipping really bad. It is not slipping from the dig, but if I'm riding steady at low to mid RPMs in any gear, and give it moderate to high throttle, RPMs just jump up as if the clutch lever is being pulled in. I have to very gradually increase the throttle to keep the clutch engaged and make the bike accelerate.

I understand the clutch job on this bike is not very difficult. Should I go with OEM parts, or is there anything better?

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/15/23 at 12:27:45

Ah crap, it gets worse! Just went to see if the bike has oil, put it vertical on a 2.5 inch block, and nothing in the sight glass. I had somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 quart sitting in the garage, added it and still no oil to be seen. I might be down as much as a quart.

Last oil change was at exactly 5k in November of last year, right now the bike is sitting with exactly 6200 miles, so I'm down so much in just 1200 miles. Last few oil changes, it did not consume any oil at all with the synthetic oils, even with the leak that I had it wasn't significant enough to reflect any drop in oil level.

I think I am going back to Liqui Moly. Hope I haven't caused any permanent damage to the engine or to the clutch.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 04/15/23 at 13:08:01

och wrote on 04/15/23 at 12:27:45:
Ah crap, it gets worse! Just went to see if the bike has oil, put it vertical on a 2.5 inch block, and nothing in the sight glass. I had somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 quart sitting in the garage, added it and still no oil to be seen. I might be down as much as a quart.

Last oil change was at exactly 5k in November of last year, right now the bike is sitting with exactly 6200 miles, so I'm down so much in just 1200 miles. Last few oil changes, it did not consume any oil at all with the synthetic oils, even with the leak that I had it wasn't significant enough to reflect any drop in oil level.

I think I am going back to Liqui Moly. Hope I haven't caused any permanent damage to the engine or to the clutch.

I think you are getting gas in the crankcase (like carb flooding).  When this happens, the bike will consume massive amounts of oil fast.  It will also make your clutch act totally messed up (glazed plates).  I had this happen once.  I resolved the flooding, changed the oil with Rotella T4 and my clutch was able to salvage itself after a couple hundred miles.  Drain the oil and give it a whiff, it will be thin if gassy, and you'll kinda see it.  That's my guess.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/15/23 at 13:26:04

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/15/23 at 13:08:01:
och wrote on 04/15/23 at 12:27:45:

I think you are getting gas in the crankcase (like carb flooding).  When this happens, the bike will consume massive amounts of oil fast.  It will also make your clutch act totally messed up (glazed plates).  I had this happen once.  I resolved the flooding, changed the oil with Rotella T4 and my clutch was able to salvage itself after a couple hundred miles.  Drain the oil and give it a whiff, it will be thin if gassy, and you'll kinda see it.  That's my guess.  

Thank you, I will check for signs of gas in the oil when I do the oil change. I was most definitely running lean before, with the stock 52.5/145 carb setup and dyna muffler, and my header discolored really bad. I just rejet my carb to 50/150, and I took a quick ride and the bike felt like it is running substantially cooler than it did in the past.

I also read through some previous posts on here, and it seems that our bikes tend to use up oil when running at high speeds. That ride I mentioned two weeks ago, I spent about 14 hours and almost 400 miles in the saddle - I set out with a bunch of my Harley buddies, and we did about 200 miles of highway, doing 85ish, so I was basically running wide open for a couple of hours. This is when I started experiencing the slippage.

I will definitely keep an eye on my oil levels from now on, will check before every ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/17/24 at 17:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slipping in 1st under WOT?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.