Send Topic Print
Rear shock question (Read 51 times)
Captain Capsize
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear shock question
12/23/21 at 20:12:16

So I have been riding my newly acquired 2012 Savage lately and have made the painful discovery that the rear shocks make the bike ride like a hard tail .  My previous Savages had adjustable shocks but this one doesn't. I need some recommendations. TIA.

IP Logged
TBR125
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear shock question
Reply #1 - 12/24/21 at 00:08:14

They're not super cheap but progressive suspension shocks are nice. I had to cut the rubber off and reuse the metal bushing from the stock pair as none of the shocks I've tried came with bushings that were large enough.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/24/21 at 00:08:30

If your shocks are OEM yes they have an adjustment ring that is turned by a  hook spanner wrench and there are 3 settings on that ring.   There is also a hole in the ring to put a fitted metal rod into, so you can do the same "turn it to the next position" adjustment.  

Check your tool kit for the spanner wrench you'll need.  You will also likely find a metal rod that fits the hole in ring there as well.   (My rod was the butt end of a screwdriver bit ......)

It is a lot easier to rotate if the shock absorber isn't carrying the weight of the bike (i.e. jack the bike up or take the shock off the bike to do the adjustments).   You still have to twist the ring strongly enough to overcome the power of the spring, but that is a lot easier without fighting the whole weight of the bike too.

Look up at the top of the shock body to see what I am speaking about.

If this is not the case, you need to tell us what you got on your bike so we can offer what help we can.   Pictures are always nice, too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/24/21 at 11:42:32

Hay , I'm running 12.5 inch Sportster shocks on mine and like them.   I'm 5'10" 200#.  

Many options out there !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/26/21 at 13:33:41

I put the Sportster shocks on my Savage and found the ride was still too hard for me and now I use the Intruder shocks and they provide a nice soft ride.  The Intruder shocks are longer and they do raise the bike up in the back but when you sit on it they compress down to a reasonable height.  The higher back end lessens the rake angle slightly and that seems to make the steering a little more responsive.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:24:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rear shock question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.