Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
suzuki boulevard wont start update new video (Read 62 times)
Analbeads69
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

suzuki boulevard wont start update new video
12/16/21 at 14:08:44

hey guys, I have trickle charged the battery, tested voltage on camera and jumped the starter on camera and the motor makes noise.  The relay fuse is clicking but I have replaced the fuse and that didn't fix it.  so I'm thinking a ground maybe?  or a short?  any help would be greatly appreciated... i'm a few weeks away from just giving it over to a mechanic, but I would prefer to fix it myself.  I'm tired of riding my bicycle to work lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRnr-T5RYM

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: suzuki boulevard wont start update new video
Reply #1 - 12/16/21 at 15:53:15

Normal is12.5 or better.
If you charged it and it's not even twelve,,
Put a battree in it.
That is The most common problem with this bike. The ignition requires a decent battery to
Crank the start
And
Have enough Oomph to fire the plug.

The fuse you replaced
Blown?Not blown?
Relays and solenoids
Click.
If you hear a Rattling Clicking, that is the solenoid with
Not enough battery to Engage .
The coil that creates the electromagnet can't stay energized because the battery is kaput

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/16/21 at 19:14:24

11.7v while charging ain't enough. s/b 13+ and about 12.7 resting.

the little black box you call a fuse/relay is a decompression/starter controller.  I've never heard it make noise.
probably cause the decomp fires at the same time.
then a half second later the starter relay should go lighting up the starter.

So if you're hearing a noise coming from the decomp controller, maybe all the safeties are working.  but I don't think the decomp is working... should be a loud click.  it's under the tank on the frame.  and there's a cable running to a lever on the left side of the head that should move.
and after the decomp click should be another loud click which is the starter relay.

even with low voltage you should hear the 2 clicks, so something else could be causing the problem.  low voltage usually cause the starter relay to sound like a machine gun.

I'd 1st check your battery, clean it up, check the water, clean the ground wire on the engine, check the voltage.  you can also take it to a place like autozone and have it load tested.  most will do it for free.

BTW, trickle charge is only meant to maintain a battery and won't charge it to full even over a couple of days.  You need a charger capable of 2 amps for m/c batteries.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 12/18/21 at 19:15:35

I am going to try and offer some info that I hope will be useful to you.  Although the Savage is a simple beast, it’s electrical system seems overly complicated to me.  I will try to give you a better idea of how the current flows.  

The first piece of advice I offer is about nomenclature.  Your vid was nice, it helps us see your problem.  Correct nomenclature is very important.  I suggest when you want to verbally identify a part, go to one of the on-line parts distributors and find the illustrated parts breakdown for your LS650.  Find the part in question and use the nomenclature they provide.  The little black box you replaced is not a fuse, it is a “Decompression Control Unit”.  Here’s a link to Babbitts Suzuki Parts House.  It’s a good tool.

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/c/suzuki_motorcycle/parts

The second piece of advice I want to share is that a battery that only has 11.7 volts of potential is “DEAD”.  I concur with JOG & Versy.  A fully charged battery must have 12.7 volts of potential.  That being said, the fact that you can jump directly to your starter and get the starter to crank the engine tells me that you should at least get a little action when you hit the starter button.  So, aside you’re your tired battery, something else isn’t right.

The electrical power for all of your components runs through two fuses.  Those fuses are identified on the wiring diagram as “Fuse 1” and “Fuse 2”.  They are both 20 amp fuses.  They are located under your seat in a small white plastic box.  I can see the box in your video.  This is the fuse box in question.

Fuse_Holder_Cover_Removed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 12/18/21 at 19:16:15

This is the cover.  It just clips over the two fuses.

Cover_Fuse.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 12/18/21 at 19:17:46

You want to make sure that both fuses are good.  If fuse 2 is burnt out, it will cause exactly the problem you are experiencing, decompression controller clicks but starter does not operate.  So, start by checking your fuses.  If one is burnt out, then replace it and see what happens.  Hopefully it doesn’t just burn out again when you hit the power switch.

There are two fuses and they both provide power for your starting system.  Power flows from your battery to both fuse 1 and fuse 2.

FUSE 1

Power flows through fuse 1 to the ignition switch (the switch under the left side of your seat).  When you turn on the ignition switch, most of the systems are hotted up.  This is the flow path for fuse 1.

Power flows from the ignition switch to the side stand relay.  It is located under the fuel tank, on the left side, just below the ignition coil.  This is the side stand relay.

Side_Stand_Relay_LS.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 12/18/21 at 19:18:45

If the system is working correctly, the orange wire is hot when the ignition switch is turned on, and the orange/black wire gets hotted up (connected to the orange wire via internal contacts).  If the side stand relay is not hotting up the orange/black wire as described, it could be due to the side stand not being in the lowered position, or the transmission not being in neutral.

From the side stand relay, power flows via the orange/black wire to the engine stop switch on the right-side handlebar control switch assembly.  This is the engine stop switch.

Engine_Kill_Switch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 12/18/21 at 19:19:39

If the system is working correctly, the orange/black wire is hot when the ignition switch is turned on, and the orange/white wire gets hotted up (connected to the orange/black wire via internal contacts in the switch) when the switch is in the “run” position.

The connector plug for the right-hand handlebar control switch assembly is under the fuel tank on the right side.  This is the connector in question.

Handlebar_Switch_Plug_Right.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 12/18/21 at 19:20:22

From the engine stop switch, power flows via the orange/white wire to the starter button switch on the right-side handlebar control switch assembly.  This is the starter button switch.

Start_Button_Switch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 12/18/21 at 19:21:06

When the starter button switch is pressed the internal contacts connect the orange/white wire to the yellow/green wire.  The yellow/green wire should be hotted up when the start button is depressed.  You can find the wires in the connector assembly under the tank, the one I described earlier.  As the picture shows, its big, has lots of wires, and is partially covered with a vinyl boot.

From the starter button switch, power flows via the yellow/green wire to the clutch lever switch on the left-side handlebar control switch assembly.  This is the clutch lever switch.

Clutch_Switch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 12/18/21 at 19:21:58

When the clutch lever is pulled in the clutch lever switch contacts connect the yellow/green wire (in) to the yellow/green wire (out).  The yellow/green wire (out) should be hotted up when the start button is depressed and all the safety circuit switches are making contact (side stand, clutch, neutral, etc.).

The connector plug for the left-hand handlebar control switch assembly is under the fuel tank on the left side.  This is the connector in question.

Handlebar_Switch_Plug_Left_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 12/18/21 at 19:22:37

From the clutch lever switch, power flows via the yellow/green wire (out) to the decompression controller, where the power starts a timer system that operates two separate relays within the controller.  One relay controls the decompression solenoid, and the other relay controls the starter motor relay.  As you already know, this is the decompression controller.

Decomp_Controller_Modified_Mount.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 12/18/21 at 19:24:06

Since your decompression controller is clicking when you hit the starter button, and it’s a brand-new controller, I think your electrical system serviced off Fuse 1 is probably operating correctly.  In any event, at least my explanation and pictures should help you out in the event it’s not.

FUSE 2

Power flows through fuse 2 directly to the decompression controller via the red/white wire.  This hots up the two relays in the decompression controller.  As mentioned before, one of the internal relays controls the decompression solenoid, and the other internal relay controls the starting motor relay.  Since neither your decomp solenoid or starter motor are trying to operate (neither is clicking, buzzing, etc.), it sure looks like your fuse 2 circuit is suspect.

The decompression controller is always hot.  The main ignition switch does not interrupt power from fuse 2.  Fuse 2 always sends power via the red/white wire to the decompression controller.  So, you should always have 12 volts at the red/white wire on the connector plug on the decompression controller.  Check that.  Make sure you are getting battery voltage at the terminal associated with the red/white wire on the decompression controller.  If you aren’t getting power there then the fuse is burnt out or there is a broken wire or bad connection.  See the big red/white wire.  You need battery voltage here all the time.

Decomp_Controller_Plug_RW_Pwr_Wire.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 12/18/21 at 19:25:00

Since your main concern right now is getting the starter turning, I’m not gonna go into the decompression solenoid.  If you have battery power to the decompression controller red/white terminal, but still get no audible indication of the starting motor relay relay activating, check to see if the starting motor relay gets hotted up when the starter button switch is pressed.

Power should flow from the decompression controller to the starting motor relay via the yellow/black wire.  There is a plug under the seat that connects the decompression controller to the starting motor relay.  This is what the plug looks like.  See the yellow/black wire?  It must get hotted up when you press the starter button.

Starter_Solenoid_Plug_Under_Seat.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 12/18/21 at 19:26:01

The starting motor relay also needs a good ground.  You can hot up the yellow/black terminal but if the black/white terminal is not grounded nothin’s gonna happen.  Make sure that the black/white wire is making good contact with ground.  Make sure that you check out these wires all the way to the starting motor relay.  It is mounted to the rear fender and buried under the seat.  This is the best picture I have.  Note that there are yellow/black and black/white wires going into the rubber cover.  Remove the rubber cover and check out those wires. BE CAREFUL, THE BIG RED WIRE ON THAT RELAY IS HOT.  IT’S CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY POSITIVE TERMINAL.  DON’T SHORT IT TO GROUND WITH A TOOL.  If you have power to the yellow/black terminal on the starting motor relay, and good ground to the black/white terminal on the relay, and the relay still doesn’t clickity-clack when you energize it, the starting motor relay is most likely no good.

Starting_Motor_Relay_Control_Wires.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 07:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › suzuki boulevard wont start update new video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.