Just Idle Talk (Read 430 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Just Idle Talk
Reply #45 - 01/10/22 at 21:37:51

The photo of your slide looks a bit funny to me.  Might just be lighting.  There are two orifice holes in the bottom of the slide.  Your photo makes the orifice holes appear as if they are covered up with white plastic or paper.  Make sure those two holes are not covered up.  The little plate that captures your slide needle has two notches that correspond to the orifice holes.  Your plate orientation looks correct, but the holes appear as if they are covered up with something white.  Make sure you can see straight through those orifice holes.  If the holes are covered up, the slide will not lift.

You have figured out that the float hinge pin is a press fit on one side.  I can see the head of the pin is chewed up from attempts to remove.  Be very careful with that pin.  Always back up the aluminum post in the carb body when removing or installing the pin.  You need some sort of anvil behind the post when you drive the pin in or out.  I broke one of those posts on a very expensive Mikuni smooth bore.  I have no clue why Mikuni felt they needed a press fit on the hinge pin.

I am glad to hear that you are instituting new operating procedures.  That petcock should NEVER be left on when the engine is not running.  At least you got a good rinse on the lube system.

Keep us posted.  We want to hear how things shake out.

Good luck, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #46 - 01/11/22 at 03:55:21

Mike thanks for taking a look.  I'll add the 2 parts you mentioned to the cart as well.  I also threw a new hinge pin in the cart for a little over a buck.

On the diaphragm assembly, here's a little better pic.  You're right, on that previous pic I posted it looks like there's some kind of plastic piece in those holes.  They are open though.  This pic shows that a little clearer.

I'll run some carb cleaner though that main air bleed as well.

Thanks again.  Parts go on order today and I'll post a (hopefully) final update in a week or so.  I'm really hoping this is The Case of the eBay Carburetor.

20211212_111527.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 01/11/22 at 23:31:32

One last thing.  In your photos, the notes state that the float was so out-of-whack that it couldn't shut the needle valve.  The picture also shows the float tang grossly out of adjustment.

How did you get that float level sight gage (picture in reply #15) to indicate correct float level?  Did the cats have anything to do with that.  Kidding aside, be careful with your float level.  Make sure the needle valve and seat shut off by testing with air before you install the float bowl.  Just turn the carb upside down and blow (with mouth) through the fuel line. The weight of the float should be all that's required to completely shut off air flow.  If it leaks, it could be the needle & seat or the o-ring around the seat.  No leaks allowed. 

Follow the manual for float adjustment.  Make sure it falls within specifications (26.95 - 28.95mm).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #48 - 01/12/22 at 04:52:51

ha!  It's always the cat's fault!  

On on the tang, initially the first fuel level test showed that the fuel level was above the gasket.  So, I adjusted it down (to what I now believe was the correct level).  However, on the next test run not only did the bike continue to idle poorly, it also would cut out at 55-65mph or so (a new failure mode up to this point).  Looking back, the idling issue was probably these junk parts and the cutout was probably related to junk carb parts.  But anyhow, I adjusted the tang to raise the fuel level.  That's when I adjusted it way too far.  I think it was Lancer maybe who posted his fuel level and it was just about identical to what mine was prior to the maladjustment.  So, I think the fuel level was fine.  I'm guessing the idling and the stalls were caused by other carb issues (junk parts hopefully).

That's good to know about the air test and after I make the adjustment by the book I'll try that as well.

Here's a good lesson learned:  When I adjusted the fuel to the pic below the gasket (which I now believe was the correct level), I did it by the book using that procedure and a proper measurement device (the ruler seen in that other pic showing my white spacer thickness).  When I tried to "adjust it a little higher", not by the book and using my eyeballs Sad.  The difference was pretty obvious.

IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #49 - 01/22/22 at 12:40:55

IT WORKED!!

Wow!  This engine sounds like a sewing machine now!  It purrrrrs like a kitten when it's idling and rides GREAT!

I replaced all the junk ebay carb parts and pieces with the high dollar OEM parts described a few posts up and it made a HUGE difference.

It runs like a real bike now.  I'm so happy about this.  I took it for a test ride today and it ran awesome.  I had forgotten how fun these little savages are to ride.  

Ok now for some technical details and observations. . .

The OEM needle jet was a tighter fit into the carb body than the previous one.  I definitely made sure the little notch was lined up with the indent.  It was also about 28 degrees in my garage too.

I double checked float level (properly).  I also did that blow-air-through-it test that DragBikeMike suggested earlier as a final sanity check.  From the test ride, I think the float level is fine (I didn't do an official fuel level check after install).

There was a little sputtering and stalling for about the first 30 seconds when the throttle was about 1/4 to 1/2 or so (accelerating through the gears basically).  But that went away and never came back.

And finally. . .

The idle/mix screw now changes the behavior of the idle Smiley  Yeah!  I dialed that in as well.

Thanks again for all the help on this carb.  Looks like it was definitely The Case of the eBay Carb Parts.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #50 - 01/22/22 at 13:27:20

Nice work and motivation to get to the bottom of the problem.  Success is always the reward for hard work.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #51 - 01/22/22 at 17:57:02

UPDATE:

I've been riding this bike all day.  It's been running perfect with zero issues--except one.  I pulled out of Walmart onto the main road and was sitting in the left turning lane.  The bike sputtered and died.  Then it fired right back up.  Then it sputters and dies again but this time it wont start.  Then, I get the green arrow but I'm sitting here like a schmuckatelly, dead in the lane.

Then I remember, "oh yeah, my new habit is turning the fuel off after each ride."  I reach down, turn the fuel petcock from the "off" to the "run" position, give the guy behind me a conciliatory wave, get the green arrow, fire the bike right up and take off like a bat outa hell (homage to the late great Meat Loaf).

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 01/24/22 at 18:38:12

So nice to hear you got it running correctly B-Will.  Also good info pertaining to the eBay kit.  Your experience proves those kits are junk.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 03:10:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just Idle Talk

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.