Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fill up every 100 miles (Read 249 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Fill up every 100 miles
Reply #15 - 02/11/22 at 13:47:59

Hey MM, I was thinking of you and this thread when I fueled up the other day. I had gone 120 miles and it took 2.14 gallons giving me basically 56mpg. The Honda 1100 generally give me around 45mpg. Maybe someday I'll a get a newer fuel injected bike.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 02/12/22 at 08:55:45

120 miles and it took 2.14 gallons

Well don't go FI to get MPG , I had two Harleys Sportsters that weighed the same with the same windshield on them both.  The Carbureted one averaged 58mpg and the FI one only averaged 52mpg.

I'm getting an average of 52 or so on my Savage now with the OPEN exaust  (1.75") hole all the way through it till the very back end.    At the end I had to put a DB-Killer in it to quiet it down a little , the bolt holding the chrome tip on also holds the DB Killer ! I've also got a 137.5 main jet in it now and it still runs plenty rich , I've got the choke off before I get out the driveway even in 40 deg weather .  
It might be that : To push the windshield and saddle bags through the wind just takes that much fuel ?    Undecided

I've got the original fuel tank back on mine.   So 2.8 gallons is what I got.

« Last Edit: 02/12/22 at 13:24:17 by MMRanch »  

SavageFeb2022_2.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/13/22 at 04:09:40

MM:

The Pilot Jet (small one) has very little affect on fuel mileage - it mostly controls the mixture at idle.  Once you start to open the throttle the needle and needle jet are adding fuel as the slide rises.  By the time you have 1/4 throttle the pilot jet no longer has any affect.

The Main Jet controls the mixture once you start to get over 3/4 throttle and is in complete control of the fuel mixture at full throttle.  There are times I go on a ride and never use the main jet the entire day - as the local twisty roads limit the speed to about 50 mph and that is 1/2 throttle on my bike.

Unless you ride at full throttle a lot - the majority of the fuel mixture and mpg is controlled by the position of the needle.  The needle has control of the mixture from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle - which is likely where you spend most of your time riding.

To choose a Pilot Jet (small one) - adjust the idle speed down below the normal 1,100 rpm to around 800 rpm.......you do this so he slide drops and it is not adding extra fuel through the needle jet.  Then adjust the fuel/air screw to achieve the smoothest idle - if you can turn the fuel screw all the way in and the engine still runs, the jet is too big.  If you have to turn the screw more than 2.5 turns out, the jet is too small. (The taper in the screw stops adding fuel when it is 3 turns out - so you should not open it more than 3 full turns).  Once you have a jet that provides a smooth idle at between 1.5 - 2.5 turns out - you have the correct size pilot jet......the range of jets that works in a properly set up carb are between #47.5 - #52.5.  When you have the proper jet size chosen - turn up your idle speed to 1,100 rpm and rejoice in having that job done.....as you won't have to fuss with it again.  Changing air filters or mufflers have very little affect on the Pilot Circuit and you likely will never need to change the Pilot Jet again....however you may have to clean it someday as the holes are very small and get clogged up easily).

The next step is to choose a main jet.  This is done by finding a nice long straight section of road......a steep uphill helps to limit your speed while still getting a good indication of how the bike runs at full throttle.  I start with a #150 jet and go from there.  Choosing a proper main jet is the hardest part for me - as it includes "listening" and you really need to pay attention to how the bike responds.  I ride with the #150 and see how the bike runs at full throttle - the engine should be pulling strongly and the exhaust note should be "crisp"......not with a "burble"  (See....I told you this wasn't easy).  Once the engine is pulling hard and you are going pretty fast.....start to roll off the throttle a tiny amount....and listen/feel what the bike does - if you hear the exhaust note become more crisp and you feel like the bike begins to accelerate a little bit - that is an indication the fuel mixture is too rich at full throttle.  Then you need to repeat the procedure with a different size jet and see if the performance improves or declines.  DragBikeMike has a tachometer and uses time runs between 2 or 3 thousand rpm to see if the performance improves.  You could do the same between 40 and 70 mph on the same section of road.  I normally put in other jets and find the place where I know it is too rich by the obvious blubbering sound the engine makes.....and the place where I know it is too lean by the surging and uneven acceleration that occurs when the engine is too lean - then I know for sure the range somewhere in between where the proper jet is.  This Main jet can be affected by air cleaner and muffler choices - however I thing a reasonable range is between #147.5 to #152.5......a #155 is likely too rich unless you have made some wild changes in the intake/exhaust.

The needle is pretty easy to select - even though it is a bit of a pain to get to and make changes.  For a needle without the multiple positions for the clip - I remove the white plastic spacer and use 3 machine screw washers (I believe they are #4 size -but don't get brass ones as the OD is too big to fit in the slide).  If you have a needle with multiple positions for the clip, you start with the middle position and work up/down depending on how the bike runs.  When the mixture is correct you can get smooth acceleration at low throttle once the engine is fully warmed up.........you likely have the proper fuel mixture if you can feel the bike surge a little bit under light throttle settings while the engine is cold.  When my engine was stock the bike would not accelerate smoothy with 3 washers.....changing the Main jet did nothing - to correct the surging at low throttle I remove 1 washer and it ran great with 2 washers - however most of the carbs I have adjusted ran fine with 3 washers.  If the bike runs smoothly while cold with 3 washers.....then add another and try 4 - you should feel a slight surge on a cold engine if the mixture is proper (if the engine runs smooth while cold the mixture is likely too rich for the best fuel mileage).

« Last Edit: 02/13/22 at 08:03:42 by Dave »  

carb_circuits_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 02/13/22 at 04:14:26

MM...I am sure your mpg is affected by your big windshield and saddlebags, as those do catch a lot of wind.  I also believe your DB killer could have some impact as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324341667315?chn=ps&var=513407297825&_trkparms=ispr%...

You chose a muffler with little restriction and it was too loud - so you stuck a perforated hunk of metal in the exhaust that restricts noise....and flow!  You really should get a muffler that is designed like the Dyna muffler where the exhaust flows into a chamber to kill the noise, then back out of the chamber to exit the muffler.  The noise is reduced by the fiberglass or stainless fibers lining the chamber - not by a blockage in the flow.

Here is a link to DragBikeMike's muffler thread........it is what you should be using for performance and mpg without noise.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1609379913

LCGP_HiFlow_Muffler_Flow_001.jpg

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/13/22 at 19:30:30

Wow Dave  

Right away I see that the needle on the DR200 needs to be raised a notch !   Thanks for the diagram !   Smiley

Yea , it has a dead spot (when 1/2 warm or cold) about time its moving into the "Needle" range .   The higher speeds are just fine.

Getting back to the LS650 ,    that restricts noise....and flow!  I don't think so , the DB killer's most restrictive area is a "1-inch" pipe about "<1-inche" long before the first exit hole and its at the end of the muffler where the gasses have cooled off/shrank and quit pulsing as much as they are going too.  I'm not sure that is a problem being the inside header pipe is only 1.4-ish to begin with up on the hot/pulsing end of things ..

I could move the obstruction to the middle of the pipe (or anywhere back up stream) ... but the gasses are still hot and expanded back toward the head pipe.
The pipe has plenty of room inside (1.75) and 3" dia outside.  

So the exaust is going from the head pipe (Pulsating - high pressure zone) to the muffler (Steadying - low pressure expansion zone a foot and a half long)  , then to a (Smooth/Steady - medium pressure zone) at the exit.
I don't see any restriction in the set up at all .  

Moving the solid divider to the middle of the pipe is where I was 10 muffler designs ago.  I've learned better but , it does have more of a quieting effect on the system , but I'm going lower pressure after the head pipe now.    I think you missed the part where hot gasses need more room than Cooler gasses , then there is the pulsing vs smooth flow thing too.

You recon a lack of back pressure hurts MPG do ya ?   That might be the low mpg problem I'm having more so than anything else we have come up with ! ...   Seem like I saw a U-tube to that effect one time ?
I'm not having lack of power problems at all !   Wink

Why is exhaust velocity so important?  

https://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

I've got good scavenging in the 4 to 5K rpm now , I normally ride below that area or right at the bottom of it.  

I was surprised to see the 5 rings and the lack of taper on the needle ?

Some times I can't help but wonder if a narrower windshield  might be the ticket to better MPG .  

« Last Edit: 02/17/22 at 18:19:35 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 02/14/22 at 07:13:32

Good info,, enjoyed the article,,
You guys keep going..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/14/22 at 09:28:42

MM, bike is looking good. Had not seen your hard bags. Nice.

Dave is the expert on all that technical stuff and I would probably follow his advise. I will admit though as you well know, I have never had a windshield or saddle bags on the S-40. Just my fat self! Sad

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 02/14/22 at 12:33:48

springman wrote on 02/14/22 at 09:28:42:

Dave is the expert on all that technical stuff and I would probably follow his advise. I will admit though as you well know, I have never had a windshield or saddle bags on the S-40. Just my fat self! Sad

When did you get fat ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 02/14/22 at 14:53:54

I shamed him into eating the spaghetti I made.
He ate a bit and quit. I wasn't having that. I asked him if I stopped by,needing an overnight place in a journey if he would resent me in his house and eating the food he fixed for me.
No..

Okay, then enjoy!

Maybe my spaghetti sauce got him.
????????

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 02/14/22 at 16:04:00

Thanks  Smiley

It needs a bath really bad , but its winter so I'm not getting wet to do it !  Grin

It's running really good too !  Wink

I'll put the smaller windshield on before our Texas Trip and carry some extra fuel cans in them saddle bags .

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #25 - 02/15/22 at 09:45:48

JOG, that spaghetti was pretty darn good and I was hungry. Thanks.

I guess fat is a relative term. Being the extremely tall man that I am (5'7") and only pushing around 195 lbs., yeah, maybe I should consider myself thin. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Can't stop laughing. Seriously, I would like to get back below 185 lbs and preferably below 180. I just love to eat!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 02/15/22 at 10:34:17

I’ve gone from 195 to 165 in the last couple of years.
Smaller serving size and fewer donuts did it for me.
Stopped some meds and reduced others in the process. 😎

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #27 - 02/16/22 at 07:53:43

You are a good role model there Lancer. That is what I am hoping to do. I have not been in the 170's since my early forties. I'm doing much better during the day. It's the night time at home where I just can't seem to resist snacking. Even if it is a healthy snack it is still additional calories. Working on it though! Angry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 02/17/22 at 03:14:52

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 02/17/22 at 18:37:31

Grin

Guzzi sure made some UGLY Bikes back in 1997 !  Grin Grin

I believe the 1100cc motor was a gas hog !!   Besides being ugly those are "Way too HEAVY for me" at this time in life .  Really , I never have liked those "HEAVY" bikes , they just don't seem like "BIKES" !   Heck , I had a 1200 Sportster durning my prime ridding years and couldn't make it keep up with the little Suzuki Savages !   Roll Eyes

So , I've got a 250 pounder , a 380 pounder , and a 420 pounder and like them all .   Wink

Dave you need another bike one with nice firm stand-up cylinder heads .

Hay Dave , This little DR200 is "FUN"  ,  and its got 3.4 gallons !
I'm thinking on replacing the 18 year old tires on it.  They aren't wore out  (2Kmiles on them" .    
I'm looking at these :Shinko 705's
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373420257817?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p...

You get the DR650 and I'll trade with ya if ya don't like it.
« Last Edit: 02/17/22 at 19:58:18 by MMRanch »  

shinko-705-series-fr-parent__1_420x.jpg

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:22:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fill up every 100 miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.