Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fill up every 100 miles (Read 249 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Fill up every 100 miles
11/30/21 at 20:16:12

So , I fill the S-40 up today and was rewarded with these numbers :

2.25 gallons with a GPS measured 112 miles .

I feel like Something isn't right ?  

I'm wondering if I need to lower the float level ?    

What "TRICKS" are you other fellers doing ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Fill up every 100 miles
Reply #1 - 11/30/21 at 21:15:47

That is a bit strange. The only time I get below 50 is at extended high speed highway jaunts. Also need to add oil at that time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/01/21 at 02:08:00

MM:

Last time I asked you - you didn't know what jets you had in the bike.

Do you need to use the choke to get the bike started?  Does the bike require the choke for a few miles to run well.......does it have a bit of a lean surge until the engine warms up?

My suggestion is to take the carb apart and clean it, and see what jets you have.

Put in a #50 Pilot, a #147 Main, and 3 washers on the Needle, and then see if you need to change anything to make it run correctly.

Lowering the floats is a way to fine tune things on a CV carb - but you should start with the basics.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 12/01/21 at 05:49:11

When I had my Savage, I would have been surprised to get 49mpg. I usually got about 45-46. I think I did run a little rich. I had jetted and needle spaced for an Emgo shorty muffler, then moved to a Dyna. However the bike ran great that way. Minimal cold enrichment needed and never any surging at any speed.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 12/01/21 at 08:06:04

Thanks fellers

Yes , I pull the choke out to start , but go to 1/2 choke after the first 5 hits.

After I shift to second gear 30 seconds after a cold start the choke goes off till the next morning.

No surging ever .    It runs really strong but :

One time I put a 160 main jet (+ cone air filter) in while experimenting and the mpg went into the 30's but it ran so strong that it was like a different bike !  I couldn't stand my car getting better mpg than my bike ... so back to the 152/52.5 it went.

I've never done anything with the "Needle".  I don't think I've seen how it fastens in there yet .    I've seen the needles with the five rings and a little "C" clamp to adjust it with (on other bikes) .     It seems like a big jet with a low needle would be the best of everything ... but I'm not a carb expert by no means.

I'm guessing that I need to "LOWER" the needle from the factory setting ??    Washers on top of the needle ?  

I can pull the carb and I have a good selection of needles but the 147.5 is the one I can go to first.  

The carb does "leak" if I don't turn the fuel off when I park is why I had thoughts of lowering the bowl as well as making it run a little leaner.

heck if the carb is on the work bench, then I'll rig up a fuel supply hanging from above and check the float level with the clear hose / drain screw method.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/01/21 at 11:09:27

If your engine is just a bit "cold blooded" and you get a bit of a lean surge until the bike is warm........that to me is a good indication that your jetting is nearly ideal.  A lean surge on a cold engine is a good indication that you are not jetted "rich".

On the Savage the spacer/washers are on top of the needle, and a little spring holds the needle up against the washers/spacer.  So the thicker the stack of washers the leaner the "mid range" will be.  I like to keep adding washers until I get a noticeable lean surge....then start removing them just until the bike runs smoothly at partial throttle when fully warmed up.  A little bit of a surge on a cold engine is a good thing provided it goes away when the engine is up to temperature.

For anything but full throttle acceleration or highway work where you are holding the throttle more than 3/4 open....the main jet really isn't in control of the fuel mixture or mpg.

I suggest you start with a #147.5 main, a #50 pilot and 3 washers in place of the white spacer, get a new float needle if yours is old and leaking, check to see if your TEV diaphragm is old and stiff and replace it if needed (they don't last forever), and set your float level to the factory setting.

My cafe' bike is light and doesn't have a windshield, and the engine has a Wiseco 94mm, performance cam, Mikuni VM carb and tall gearing.  I regularly get in the high 50's for mpg, and if I ride around with pokey guys on cruisers I can get in the high 60's for mpg.

I would suspect that your big windshield and saddlebags are hurting your mpg quite a bit.....try riding without a windshield and see what happens (maybe not a good idea in December).   Also check to see that your wheels rotate easily and a brake is not dragging, and that your tire pressure is up. 

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 12/01/21 at 11:38:22

2.25 gallons.  I forget, you put on a pretty big tank, didn't you, MMR?  And don't you sport the big comfy couch seat and a few bags?
I average about 50-52 mpg.  Last fill up showed 42.4, which was a pretty low one.  Most of my riding is commuting (sadly) on side roads, about 40 miles/day.  I'm in Denver, so left the jets stock.  Cold starts need choke for a few minutes of the ride and I do have just a little surge at low speed traffic crawls.  I'm glad Dave chimed in with a lot of thoughts.  I may check my TEV diaphragm.  It's an easy first step before pulling the carb.  Carb stuff is a bit out of my league.  Would love to live near a fellow member with skills.

I do notice mpg is better when I go on my "fun" rides up in the mountains and canyons.  Speed limits are on the low side on the Peak-to-Peak highway and up this canyon I like to hit.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 12/01/21 at 16:05:18

Well , it didn't warm up as much as the weather lady said it would today. So
instead of taking a ride today I took the S-40 to the shop.

I started to take the carb off but - after seeing that the carb don't come with out removing the airbox first it occurred to me that I don't need the carb off I need the top of the carb off.

OK ,  I did get to the white spacer but it wasn't easy.   I had to use one of those left drill bits to break one of those little screws loose inside the "Slide "once I got it out.

What I found was that the needle has six groves and a "C-clip".   The clip was on the third from the bottom .  

So

I moved the clip to the fifth ring and tried it out ... it was "WAY WAY to much .   So I pulled it out again and its in the fourth ring now and works good  

What the MPG will be ... I hope to find out tomorrow  .    

Then maybe go changing jets ???   Smiley
« Last Edit: 12/01/21 at 21:19:36 by MMRanch »  

2mb_InsideCarb__001.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/01/21 at 18:35:32

MM:

When was the last time you cleaned or replaced your air filter?

The fact that your carb has slots for the c-clip makes me believe somebody has installed an aftermarket carb kit in that bike.  There is no way to know what jets are in there.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 12/01/21 at 20:10:28

When was the last time you cleaned or replaced your air filter?

What !  These things have air filters ?   You clean them every 100,000 miles don't ya  ?   Grin

I'll check on it tomorrow before I take it out for a hundred-mile loop

Yea , lowering the needle by two rings might have worked with a larger main jet ?  

There was a dead spot at low throttle but it cleared up with more throttle but was still clearly too lean !  

The spring under the needle was too big of diameter , it kept getting past the clip and pushing the white spacer off the needle while I was getting it reassembled.  

So , I used a smaller dia. spring of about the same strength and length.

Mine is a 2005 model , and I got it with about 3K miles on it .  It was only a few years old when I got it. , I think it was a stock machine. ??

I believe the jets are 152.5 and 52.5 , but I'll find out for sure some warm/wet winter day between now and spring.  

Hay Versey I want to know what you did to the BEAST ! to get 140+ miles before hitting reserve ?    That's awesome !!!

« Last Edit: 12/01/21 at 21:20:19 by MMRanch »  

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 12/02/21 at 16:36:46

OK , Ya'll got to try this.

So I lowered the needle by about 0.5mm (one ring on the needle) - and everything else is the same.   The needle was sticking out 44 mm to begin with.

I filled the tank today and took a ride.   About half the ride was back roads at 30-45 mph and the other half was running 62 in a 55 zone.
With going through three towns doing the red light to red light.  

All together it was a 128 mile loop.    When I got back to my small home town (that would be town #4) , I refilled the tank.  
I was surprised it only need 2.08 gallons to refill it.

That's over 61 mpg .   I'll have to do it again to really believe it !   Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/03/21 at 03:12:04

MMRanch wrote on 12/02/21 at 16:36:46:
That's over 61 mpg .   I'll have to do it again to really believe it !   Smiley

I often wonder how many motorcycles are running around and are jetted too rich.  A bike that is too lean runs unevenly, surges and backfires and is a pain to ride - but a bike that is a bit too rich starts easily and really doesn't show any symptoms.....other that a sooty exhaust pipe and poor fuel mpg.  A properly jetted bike runs much crisper and gets better mpg and is a joy to ride.

When I was fooling around with my engine it took me about 5 jet changes to get things perfect.  (I start with a #50 pilot, #150 main and 3 washers on the needle).

The first thing I do is work on getting the pilot jet correct......the correct size will provide for the smoothest idle at 2 - 2.5 turns out.  If you can turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in and the engine still runs - the pilot jet is too big......if you have to turn it out more than 2.5 turns to get a smooth idle the pilot jet is too small. (You must turn the idle speed down to around 800 rpm to get this fuel mixture adjustment correct).  Some bikes are happy with the #50, some want a #52.5....and one was happiest with a #47.5....all had the stock paper air filter.  (I really don't think the type of filter has much affect on the pilot jet, as the air flow is so small at idle that there will be very little difference in the flow provided by the filter.

The next thing I do is work on the main jet.  I will put in bigger main jets until I can hear/feel the engine begin to "blubber" under full throttle.....then go smaller until I can hear/feel the engine is lean by being uneven - then I will choose to keep a jet in between those two extremes.

The final thing I do is set the slide needle height......I keep adding washers until I can feel the bike "surge"during light throttle settings (which shows the bike is too lean).  Then I start taking away washers until the light throttle settings provide for smooth running.......in my opinion this is where most of the riding is done (1/4-3/4 throttle), and it has the most affect on fuel mpg (other than 3/4-full throttle at interstate highway speeds).

When a bike is jetted this way it runs the best when on the throttle and gets good fuel mpg.  The bike may get a little noisy when you allow the throttle to close completely while decelerating (compression braking) or shifting gears - as the fuel mixture goes lean when the throttle is closed and the only fuel is provided through the idle circuit.  You can easily stop the backfiring/noise by using your right wrist to crack the throttle open a very small amount and giving the engine a bit more fuel (you only need to use enough throttle to stop the noise....not enough to make the bike accelerate).  And......if the bike is too noisy you can go up one size on the pilot jet and make the mixture at closed throttle a bit richer without hurting your fuel mileage.....however you may need to make an adjustment on the needle height after going larger on the pilot jet.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 12/03/21 at 05:48:33

I use a luggage lock to keep track of my fill-up mileage and calculate my MPG at every fill-up.  Now that I've got a GPS speedometer I'm feeling better about my exact miles too.   So , I'll be checking it every time.    

I'm not sure I need to go any further than 60+ mpg ?   I'm kind of under the impression that much more the 60 mpg is going to require a fuel with more BTU's in it ?   Huh

Like you mentioned Dave , I'm pushing a fair size windshield through the air and making room for those saddle bags too .   Smiley

HardBags2mp_006.jpg

ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/03/21 at 18:04:59

I leaned mine out and still hardy ever get much over 50 mpg but I'm a big person.  When I got the bike I never got much over 42 mpg.  It had a 55/155 combo in it with a Dyna pipe and while it sounded cool, it ran like a turd.  It runs better now but the exhaust note changed a bit with the jetting cleaned up.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 12/10/21 at 19:38:14

We had a warm , rainy , day today ... so ... I pulled the bowl off the carb today.    

What I found was a 142.5 main and a 47.5 little one.

When I had the needle out last time ,I was surprised at the "LACK OF" taper it had.

I'm thinking somebody played with the carb before my time started ... it only had about 3k miles on it when I bought it , but it is what it is .

I had in mind trying a smaller main jet so I got to looking at the ones I have on hand .  
Well the next size down I have is 137.5 ... so I put it in and also a 45 little jet.  
Sounds too small to me too !   But it cranked right up with the choke and after 60 seconds with the choke off ... it didn't stumble when throttled .

It might be Monday before I can take it for a "proper" test run , but I rode it up and down the driveway for a couple trips and around the hay field a bit too , to my surprise never acted like a lean machine .  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:50:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fill up every 100 miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.