Send Topic Print
Exhaust thrust washer (Read 64 times)
Tone2crazy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust thrust washer
11/16/21 at 18:59:06

Hello all, I'm new here. Great site with lots of info.

Anyways, I want to wrap my header pipe and I want to just loosen the pipe and swing it up to get clearance. My question is do I have to replace the thrust washer if I only loosen the exhaust.

Thanks in advance, happy riding

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Re: Exhaust thrust washer
Reply #1 - 11/16/21 at 23:48:27

I have had my header off and on several times and use the same seal each time  I do use a smear of manifold sealant though made by CRC called Maniseal.

Hiko   IP Logged
Tone2crazy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/17/21 at 17:39:24

Awesome thank you

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 11/17/21 at 20:54:39

Well, you may well get away with reusing it but it is a crush washer, that is when you torque it there is a internal ring that crushes and expands to assure a seal. Once expanded it is basically done. It is pretty cheap, relative, so to replace doesn't seem to be something unreasonable. But I get it and I have loosened the header and re-torqued mine. Key would be to re-torque it and set towards upper limit of range, but not too far.

I basically always put in a new one, but with different exhaust configurations across my 2 bikes sometimes things don't align quiet right and it needs a loosen and re-tighten. I always initially tighten to lower end of torque range, so I have some play if I have to go back and do it again. I always get 2 or 3 from dealer each time I remove the header.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/18/21 at 04:12:42

I agree with SOC.

If you were using the same parts over and removing and reinstalling the same parts - the crush washer may be left in the head and used again.  I have done that many times.

However if you are moving things around and installing new and/or different parts I would use a new one. Rotating the header as you want to do may change the alignment of the header flange and it may cause a leak.

If you are cheap and want to try using the existing washer - you could put a small/light coat of high temp RTV on the header flange.

Since you are going to be working in that area....I would suggest you remove the header bolts and put a nice new coat of anti-seize on the threads to help prevent them from getting stuck in the future.  Also don't over-tighten them  - I use a 1/4" drive ratchet and one hand to snug them up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 11/18/21 at 08:57:46

These on fleabay work and are a little easier to come by if you don't have a dealer near you that carries them.  2 for $9.  4 day free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291673676162

exhaust_gaslet.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/18/21 at 14:28:16

Just gently massage it. I never replaced mine. It never leaked. Pull it, massage the folds, it's not complicated..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tone2crazy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/18/21 at 14:44:36

Thanks for all the info guys, just to update you guys and anyone searching for an answer, I reused the same washer and I don't have any leaks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 04:44:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust thrust washer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.