Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Springs (Read 161 times)
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fork Springs
11/11/21 at 13:12:37

After doing some reading and research on this site, I see that some of you are using Progressive 11-1153 forks springs as a replacement spring on your 650 Savages.  These are for Harley FXDX Super Glides.  Is this correct? Wouldn't they be on the stiff side for a light bike like it 650 Savage?  Thanks
wiguzziman

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Fork Springs
Reply #1 - 11/11/21 at 14:29:39

A springs “stiffness” has nothing to do with what other bikes use it, RATE is the defining characteristic. Besides, “stiffness” is more a function of compression damping (the speed at which the fork compresses).

You have much to learn. Let’s start…

The Progressive part number you provided defines the length and diameter of the fork spring. The rate of the spring will be at the “dash”’number. So yes, the heavier HD will use a higher rate spring than the LS650, but it’s physical characteristics are the same.

And there are better solutions than the multi-rate springs that Progressive sells.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/11/21 at 15:03:07

Well, I'm here to learn about what works and doesn't work in the LS650 Savage; so what other fork spring options are out there?  Thanks again!!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 11/12/21 at 05:21:32

Here's some light reading for you.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 11/12/21 at 09:11:00

Wiguzzi, I reported my experience with those Progressive fork springs in a recent post titled "Rear Shocks".  I know, the title is just a tad off topic.  I am far from an expert on suspension, but I feel that the Harley springs work good, and they are definitely not too stiff.  I don't understand why they aren't too stiff considering they are intended for a 680 lb bike, but trust me, they are not too stiff.  I am only running 5mm of preload (77mm spacers) and my current oil level is 180mm (planning to raise 10 or 20mm).  Using 10W oil and no issues with dampening (that I am aware of).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/24/22 at 14:16:33

Awhile back I posted a question about aftermarket front fork springs and received several interesting replies.  Thanks for all of those.

After doing some more research I found that IKON makes a set of progressive fork springs specifically for the LS650 Savage/S40.  The part number for these springs is 400-049-01 and they run about $140.00 shipped.  I ordered a set and have them installed them, but can't report on how well they work as we're in the dead of winter here in NW Wisconsin.    Sad  Carry on!!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 01/24/22 at 18:32:59

Thanks for the tip on the springs.  Does the IKON kit come with instructions?  What can you share pertaining to oil level and weight?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/24/22 at 19:24:58

The IKON springs do come with basic installation instructions.  They do not however give any reccommendations as to fork oil weight or fork oil height.

As I said it's the dead of winter where I am so I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I added the amount of fork oil listed in the shop manual, but went up to 20wt fork oil instead of the reccommended 15 wt in the manual.  A guy will probably have to experiment a bit with the oil height & weight as the wire in the IKON springs is a heavier gauge than the wire in the stock springs.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/26/22 at 17:19:01

If I recall, our forks use a pretty crude damping rod.  I suspect that you wouldn't notice much difference between oil weight like you would with cartridge forks that use shim stacks.  Maybe you'll feel the difference at the extreme weights.

Oil height will only make a difference in bottoming resistance at the very end of the stroke.  You have to make sure you don't hydro lock the forks by overfilling.  This will cause you to lose some usable travel at the bottom of the stroke and you could blow your seals. Other than that, you won't notice a difference in oil levels.

Getting the correct spring rates is probably the only thing you'll really be able to feel with the stock forks.  Otherwise, they are pretty crude units in their stock form.

IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/31/22 at 06:27:43

Just received a response this AM from Hagon.  They do offer a progressive fork spring for the 1991-2001 Savage; part # NP413.  Dimensions of the spring are, 31.8mm diameter, and 515mm in length.  Current prices as of 01-31-2022 are $112.00 for the springs, and $85.00 shipping (depending on your location) to the US.  Shipping's almost as much as the springs, but at least it's another option for aftermarket frok springs.  Hope this helps.  Carry on!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 01/31/22 at 06:54:51

What are the beginning and ending rates of the spring? The diameter and length only tell you that they will fit, but that information does not tell you if the rate is correct for your application (rider weight and bike weight).

IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/31/22 at 09:06:11

I have no idea of the rates; only passing on the information that Hagon provided me.  If you want to know the rates I suggest that you contact Hagon at sales@hagon-shocks.co.uk  Since they are made for the LS650 Savage I would hope that they would work at least as well as the Progressive springs intended for Harleys that lots of people use.  Carry on!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/31/22 at 15:05:44

I had a set of the Progressive HD springs that Ryca use to sell.  They sucked bad.  Way too stiff and I'm a big person.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/01/22 at 10:08:52

ohiomoto wrote on 01/31/22 at 15:05:44:
I had a set of the Progressive HD springs that Ryca use to sell.  They sucked bad.  Way too stiff and I'm a big person.  

Agreed, Ryca springs were very stiff, felt almost like there was no give at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Springs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.