Send Topic Print
Mining Coal is Bad (Read 234 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mining Coal is Bad
Reply #30 - 11/03/21 at 04:35:12

It does not provide power at night, it is stored and distributed at night which I would think most people realize about solar.  So I would say the Mill is powered by solar and then stored solar energy.  From a coal perspective it is powered by currently burning coal, and then stored coal.

You seem to know a lot about this and I know you’ve been involved with a lot of Colorado activities but I wanna make sure I’m clear on this. You’re telling me the solar array that powers the mill in Pueblo Colorado has some type of adjoining energy storage system where energy is stored at peak hours and then used in off-peak hours to power the mill with no interruption and with only 5 to 10% electricity coming from the grid? Is that what you’re saying?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #31 - 11/03/21 at 09:09:32

WebsterMark wrote on 11/02/21 at 18:19:22:
Why? Because of people like you.
You thought an electric car battery was equal to 40 cell phones.

Sorry,.. you didn't get the joke.
Did you buy into my "Birds aren't Real" post too?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/03/21 at 09:58:05

Guess not. I think you believe anything Greta tells you so how was I to know you weren’t fooled again.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/03/21 at 11:08:49

"You’re telling me the solar array that powers the mill in Pueblo Colorado has some type of adjoining energy storage system where energy is stored at peak hours and then used in off-peak hours to power the mill with no interruption and with only 5 to 10% electricity coming from the grid? Is that what you’re saying?"

It has an adjoining storage system that is not on-site, but as you have stated the energy storage is part of the problem.  The total MW hour storage is unknown to me at this time but I will find out when I can.  It's not enough to run the Mill multiple days for sure.

My understanding is that the system at this time is working like any other grid-connected system.  It exceeds demand during the day and the excess is essentially purchased by the Power Company.  They store that extra energy if it's not being used by other consumers on the grid.  To my knowledge at this time there is not separate lines for solar isolated power as there isn't a need for it.

So I agree that articles saying the solar array powers the Mill are not exactly transparent, as up to 10% is provided by coal, and there isn't enough solar power storage to do something like run the mill several days with no alternative power input.  But with minimal and available increase in the array the power created could power the Mill 100%.  For how long at any one time is then the next question.

An example I use is showing the surface area of all those panels over all those acres of land.  Then taking that same square footage of coal power they can supply an entire city, and then some, while solar powers one customer.  When we add more space for the power storage the space gets even larger, but with each passing year this gets mitigated.  Battery storage is continually getting more efficient.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #34 - 11/03/21 at 11:29:26

Eegore wrote on 11/02/21 at 21:12:05:
" ...You have called me a liar multiple times ... "

What, did you, 'Infer', something I said ?
Because I did NOT say that !

Eegore wrote on 11/02/21 at 21:12:05:
" ...   You have called me a liar multiple times.  Not the exact word "liar" but have indicated I am not being truthful multiple times.  Even on this subject matter where you claimed I wasn't addressing solar industry fraud.

Again, you, 'Inferred' I said something.

Can you tell me where/what/when I, SAID, you
"...(weren't) wasn't addressing solar industry fraud..."

(Or perhaps you, 'Inferred' that ?)

\ Even on this subject matter where you claimed I wasn't addressing solar industry fraud.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 11/03/21 at 11:35:20

It's not reasonable to expect to eliminate ICE engines and go with Ecars. Power to Charge them has to come from somewhere. What happens when it's freezing and the interstate turns into a parking lot? Stuck with a battery that already took you to work and then to the store and Now you're in a several hours long parking lot.. Running the heater..
The wrecked doesn't have a five gallon jug of electricity.
Not saying the technology Won't exist, but this fevered push, trying to Force it into existence isn't healthy for the economy or the lives of the people.
Calm DOWN, people. I know, free market pressures, people chasing profits by producing products that are Desirable that people will buy isn't what you want. You want to Force it on everyone. I know, it's
For our own good..
It's tyranny

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 11/03/21 at 12:46:46

Battery storage is continually getting more efficient.

It seems far more likely battery storage capacity is nearing its peak as opposed to being in its infancy. Battery storage technologies have been around for a very long time and they’ve been research for a very long time.
We will certainly find some efficiencies with the law of diminishing returns comes in a play. We’re not going to find some magic technology that allows incredible amounts of energy to be stored in relatively small areas and transported over long distances.

There are no dilithium crystals as we see in Star Trek.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 11/03/21 at 13:49:45

"What, did you, 'Infer', something I said ?
Because I did NOT say that !"

It was my interpretation, I already stated you "did not say that" or to be specific, "exactly that" so lets include my entire sentence:

You have called me a liar multiple times.  Not the exact word "liar" but have indicated I am not being truthful multiple times.

So no I am not saying you called me specifically the word "liar" and only the word "liar", in exclusivity, with the exemption of all other known words.

You indicated I was being untruthful, and to me that is equal to being called a liar.  Inferring I won't pay you money I said I would, saying it sounds like multiple people use this account, things like that, to me, is equivalent to calling me a liar without using exactly those 4 letters in exactly that sequence to form exactly that word.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 11/03/21 at 13:57:36

"It seems far more likely battery storage capacity is nearing its peak as opposed to being in its infancy. Battery storage technologies have been around for a very long time and they’ve been research for a very long time.
We will certainly find some efficiencies with the law of diminishing returns comes in a play. We’re not going to find some magic technology that allows incredible amounts of energy to be stored in relatively small areas and transported over long distances.
"

I was told this years ago when NiMH batteries was a s good as things were going to get.  I think you are right, to a degree, that we will reach a maximum on battery performance but each iteration of the iPhone alone indicates to me that we still have some progress coming.

The $35/MWh was said to be unreachable and here it is.  So while I agree that we simply have too high of energy demands to run the planet on "renewables" alone, I feel there is often predictions of how impossible things are that have been proven wrong by now.  I was told by multiple people that a solar array can't create enough power to run an industrial facility, then told it would take decades to build and in 13 months 90% of this was sitting in front of my own eyes.  At that point I have to take a step back and see what actually is possible tomorrow and not focus on what was possible last week.

I think JoG is right when he states we shouldn't have a rush to implementation as it will most likely give us an inferior outcome.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 11/03/21 at 18:25:57

I watched music go from records to eight tracks, then cassette ,,it was small and worked great,, I figured that was it.. Then geniuses figured out how to make a plastic and foil sammich and make a laser that would fit in tiny little clamshell and aim and read,, Ohh MuGAAWD! And That was IT! Nobody can beat that!
Aaand now a gizmo so small that losing it in a wrinkle in a pocket is possible and it has capacity for more than my whole album collection.
We've seen battrees go from alkaline to NiCad, and on and on. We can't know what some genius might invent.
I don't think it's smart to push too hard. Wouldn't it just suck to build up infrastructure to deal with a type of battree, only to discover a new battree that can't use That type of charge setup?
Quit trying to shove it down our throat, let it develop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 11/04/21 at 05:58:32

From an article I found on this topic that presents the issue well.

There are no subsidies and no engineering from Silicon Valley or elsewhere that can close the physics-centric gap in energy densities be­tween batteries and oil (Figure 2). The energy stored per pound is the critical metric for ve­hicles and, especially, aircraft. The maximum potential energy contained in oil molecules is about 1,500% greater, pound for pound, than the maximum in lithium chemistry. That’s why aircraft and rockets are powered by hydrocar­bons. And that’s why a 20% improvement in oil propulsion (eminently feasible) is more valuable than a 200% improvement in batter­ies (still difficult).

https://www.hartenergy.com/exclusives/physics-limits-green-dreams-184328

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 11/04/21 at 08:01:34

This is a good article.  I try to explain the Betz and Shockley Queisser limits to people and they shrug it off.

Like I said, we can run a Mill off solar but that same physical space run by coal can power a whole city.  Now if we start placing panels on every roof we would eventually meet a point where solar can keep up and the space used for the power plant operations could hold batteries.  But this means tons of vertical placement.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 11/04/21 at 08:52:05

I had the good fortune to work for a company that supplied key raw materials to wind turbine manufacturers so I learned a lot about that industry and I’ve known wind turbines are rapidly approaching their maximum effectiveness. I didn’t know all the details but I knew internal combustion engines likewise have a similar peak.

Those darn three thermodynamic laws sure get in the way of things.

Speaking of those three laws (and diving into theology) before the fall of man,  the three laws of thermodynamics could not have existed. When God banished Adam and Eve from the garden and said that they would need to work etc. the reality was thermodynamics was put into play. Before that there was no decay, there was no second law of thermodynamics specifically. It’s something to ponder.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #43 - 11/04/21 at 09:17:32

Presented in a kinda' fun way.. Wink
Will Today's Electric Cars Soon Be OBSOLETE?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 11/04/21 at 09:38:42

"Speaking of those three laws (and diving into theology) before the fall of man,  the three laws of thermodynamics could not have existed. When God banished Adam and Eve from the garden and said that they would need to work etc. the reality was thermodynamics was put into play. Before that there was no decay, there was no second law of thermodynamics specifically. It’s something to ponder."

Couldn't we pick any religion and just indicate the laws of thermodynamics didn't exist at that time if we have no means of extracting evidence?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 12:21:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Mining Coal is Bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.