Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Mining Coal is Bad
10/31/21 at 19:23:34

Mining Cobalt is good.
(Because it is for Elect Cars)

… Children as young as seven are working in perilous conditions…
… mining cobalt for smartphones, cars and computers…
… brands including Apple, Microsoft and Vodafone…
… one dollar a day …

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mining Coal is Bad
Reply #1 - 10/31/21 at 20:03:48

While I am by no means pro-child labor especially in DRC where I've seen what could be considered genocide, I am also not delusional towards progress.  Show me a phone that uses coal batteries and I will be pro-coal as an alternative to cobalt.

The "Internet" uses data centers, commonly called server farms.  It's estimated that about 40% of the energy used to run them is cooling.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317308758_Cooling_Energy_Consumption...

This is bad for the environment, when typewriters and mailed letters, while bad for trees, and using fuel to distribute, still are more environmentally efficient than the internet.

Instead of increasing the efficiency and human cost of Cobalt mines we should use Coal because it is cleaner now - after a century of development.  Also it is less likely children will be used.

So by this logic instead of creating and using the Internet and then developing more efficient means of managing it's environmental impact we should have kept typewriters and envelopes because those are more environmentally friendly and far less likely to harm children.

The reason I bring these up is because we could stop all Cobalt mining in the world and pay each Cobalt miner a livable wage to mine Coal instead.  Mine that Coal all day every day, clean as could be and no matter how much Coal we mine we would have to go back to mailing more letters because our cellphones wouldn't hold power since there are no Coal stabilized capacitors.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 11/01/21 at 07:12:19

Eegore wrote on 10/31/21 at 20:03:48:
"...
 So by this logic instead of creating and using the Internet and then developing more efficient means of managing it's environmental impact we should have kept typewriters and envelopes because those are more environmentally friendly and far less likely to harm children. ..."

And another,
    'Swing and ah Miss'

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin
Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/01/21 at 13:26:26

Show me a phone that uses coal batteries and I will be pro-coal as an alternative to cobalt.

How many THOWZUND phones would it take to equal ONE cars batteries?

Other than That, A perfectly reasonable attempt at equating one to the other.

If I wasn't tired and sore I'd be enjoying a big bellylaff at That lameass attempt at equivalency.
E,I'm embarrassed For you.

PM  Bot. Maybe he can advise you on how to take a Mulligan.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/01/21 at 13:44:03

"How many THOWZUND phones would it take to equal ONE cars batteries?"

Bottom line is MnSpring brought smartphones into the conversation.  So show me a smartphone that uses a coal alternative if you are going to imply mining cobalt is bad in a thread titled "Mining Coal is Bad"  What are we supposed to do, use a coal alternative?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/01/21 at 16:32:06

An average E-car uses about 200 1.2v batteries.
Average 1.2v is about 600mAh
My average phone is 3000mAh or about 5 1.2v batteries

Soooo,... by my poor reckoning,.. 200 / 5 = 40.
A car is 40 cell phones.

I remember a news story from back when cell phones were pretty new, and a Czech entrepreneur decided to buy a huge batch of phones to resell.
As a courtesy, the vendor he bought them from does an initial "howdy, welcome" type robocall call to all new customers.
So,.. of course all the phones in the car rang at the same time.
He crashed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/01/21 at 18:42:08

You are clueless.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/01/21 at 18:44:13

You might want to Think, before you step in that.

Using lithium-ion batteries in electric automobiles the weight of the battery system necessary for traveling 100 km can exceed 150 kg. For limousine-class electric automobiles, the travel range of which is more than 300 km, the weight of batteries could exceed 500 kg. This is one of the reasons why auto manufacturers are not eager to considerably increase the capacity of battery packs to above 30 kWh. A medium-class electric automobile equipped with 1.1 kWh batteries can cover, on average, a distance of 8 km. A number of researchers suggest using the plug-in technology

Daaayum..

You need to watch CNN more.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 11/01/21 at 18:50:24

Serowbot wrote on 11/01/21 at 16:32:06:
An average E-car uses about 200 1.2v batteries.
Average 1.2v is about 600mAh
My average phone is 3000mAh or about 5 1.2v batteries
Soooo,... by my poor reckoning,.. 200 / 5 = 40.
A car is 40 cell phones. ... "

"... Since 2013 for models X and S cars, Tesla has been using lithium ion batteries manufactured in a special way.
There are 18650 cells in total.
But that is not the case with all models. The model determines how many batteries in a Tesla car work together. These battery cells are small,
not significantly larger than AA cells. ..."

Been eating Beens lately ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/01/21 at 18:59:01

How much does the Tesla battery weigh?
The Tesla battery pack weighs 1,200 lbs (540 kg), which is equal to about 26% of the car’s total weight. This puts the car’s center of gravity a mere 44.5 centimeters off the ground, giving the car unprecedented stability. The battery itself contains 7,104 lithium-ion battery cells.

Maybe you should rethink what you believe about the difference in the mining required for cell phones versus cars .
You Know
The ENVIRONMENT?

I've had a few cell phone batteries in my hands. I don't remember seeing one I thought weighed four ounces, but, let's just Go with that. So, four phone batteries is one pound.
Soo, Four THOWZUND, Eight hundred phones for ONE CAR. And the Perpetual Clown Show left wants to kill the internal combustion engine.

And you people treat us like WE are clueless.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/01/21 at 20:21:02

I'm surprised that someone who, I'm guessing, knows it's
Probably not a great idea to try to fire off the F150 using a lawnmower battery could get information about the batteries in an electric vehicle, batteries of sufficient current storage capacity to run a car ,in traffic, 250miles, and that is a battery the size of FORTY cell phone batteries.. Well, if someone believes that, wouldn't it make sense to add forty more batteries? Double the range? Forty batteries Can't be bigger and heavier than forty Phones, since they are Just the batteries FROM phones, right?
Real-world 0-60 mph acceleration tests of the Tesla Model Y Performance are proving that the all-electric crossover is quicker than what the company advertises.

Tesla claims in its online configurator for the Model Y that the dual-motor Performance variant can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. This is the case for both the Model Y Performance with 19″ Gemini wheels as well as the Model Y with Performance Upgrade package that includes larger brakes and 21″ Uberturbine wheels.

However, in a series of real-world Model Y 0 to 60 mph acceleration tests conducted by Erik of the DÆrik Youtube channel, Tesla’s newest 5-seater crossover managed to stop the clocks at a lightning-quick 3.30 seconds.

Seriously, anyone who believes the battery pack in A CAR is only forty times the size of a cell phone battery really otta sit out having opinions about the whole green energy thing.  
Coal powered cell phones,, Phhhht..
Beclowners of themselves.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/02/21 at 05:07:31

Of course an electric car’s battery is greater than 40 cell phones (by a factor of several thousand I would guess) and I can’t believe anyone would think otherwise. But then again, while many who’ve flow across the world in private jets are well aware climate change is a gigantic scam, there are many who believe any graph with a bunch of graph with and numbers.

This is how the greatest scam on human history marches on. Wind farms and solar panels can’t power global energy demands. They can’t. End of discussion, but we keep pretending it can because people see a few numbers and say well it must be true cause that little girl said so.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/02/21 at 05:57:08

"Coal powered cell phones,, Phhhht..
Beclowners of themselves."

If the logic is to not mine Cobalt, then what is the alternative?

Coal?  Why even mention cellphones in a post about how bad Cobalt is compared to Coal, if there are no Coal powered alternatives?  I think you are missing my point.

Why bring cellphones into an equation about Coal if there is no nexus between their power usage?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/02/21 at 06:07:16

"This is how the greatest scam on human history marches on. Wind farms and solar panels can’t power global energy demands. They can’t. End of discussion, but we keep pretending it can because people see a few numbers and say well it must be true cause that little girl said so."

I sort of agree.

I agree that wind and solar can not supply the entire globe with power.  I do not think we should avoid examining how applicable they are in a case by case basis.  For instance we recently completed the Bighorn Solar Array that powers 90-95% of a steel mill.  It was said this couldn't be done because of the large draw a steel mill of this type has, and now it is up and running.  iI was either design a renewable, or the company leaves.

So can that array power the entire city?  No.  Chances are solar couldn't take that town through a winter, so we need to use the best power we can.  Reducing coal usage in a State where coal has declined for the past 80 years sounds like a good idea to me.  Why would we try to convince consumers, and employees to go coal if there are desired alternatives?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/02/21 at 06:23:10

I’m in a doctors office waiting room at the moment and can’t look now, but I seriously doubt solar panels power a steel mill. Maybe a steel fabrication facility but a mill? Maybe the panels supplied power equal to demand for a period of time but can’t see full time. Something is not adding up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 12:32:49

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Mining Coal is Bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.