Rocks!

Re: Mining Coal is Bad
Reply #15 - 11/02/21 at 06:32:19

Yes it's a mill:

https://www.evraz.com/en/company/assets/evraz-pueblo/

Steel products made on-site, there are others as well:

https://www.evraz.com/en/products/steel/

The array is about 751,000 panels.  More info here:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lightsource-bp-launches-bighorn-sola...

https://www.lightsourcebp.com/us/projects/bighorn-solar/

Your assessment was the initial problem.  People just can't imagine solar working that efficiently, but today it can.  Plenty of people, none that work in energy, told me that solar would never power the mill.  Admittedly the array is huge, but it also has room for more.  The mill company put forth continual power assurance, not intermittent peak demand request.  So yes, this array is designed to power, reliably, the mill operations.

At this time it's tests show 90-95% output so it can be safe to say solar can not fully power this mill, it needs 5-10% additional.  After the winter they expect 100% but we will see.  The primary reason I got involved was due to past solar fraud.

I won't have full numbers until June of next year but will gladly go over them with you step by step and you can check the math yourself.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #16 - 11/02/21 at 07:53:40

Serowbot wrote on 11/01/21 at 16:32:06:
An average E-car uses about 200 1.2v batteries. ..."

Must be Wonderful,
to live in that,
   that Fairy Dust Sprinkling world,
where 40 cell phone Batteries,
can power a Car for 250-300 miles.

And so convent.
when a car runs out of gas elect,
just plug in your phone,
and you can limp along to the next charging station !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #17 - 11/02/21 at 08:32:16

Wonder what all the rules/regulations/restrictions,
are in force for,
the lithium mines in the United States ?

Perhaps someone who claims they know
EVERYTHING, about everything.
Or says they know someone that knows,
everything about everything,
could inform us ?

Of course the US cannot control the Lithium mines in other countries,
   Same as controlling Pollution in China.
(The US can JUST PAY China to, POLLUTE More)

As long as  that …, ‘something’,
    is NOT in Their, backyard !
What ever is done is OK !

But mining/using, Coal,
pumping/using, oil,
is Bad.
When it is done in North America.

Especially when the equivalent of 40 cell phones,
can power a Elect Car for 250/300 miles,
         using FREE ‘elect power’,
which NO, Coal/Oil was used in the making of !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 11/02/21 at 08:52:52

Did you know that birds aren't real?...
https://birdsarentreal.com/pages/the-history

PS.. and JFK jr is alive and will be Trump's VP in 2024.  Shocked

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/02/21 at 09:55:56

Eegore wrote on 11/02/21 at 06:32:19:
 Yes it's a mill:

https://www.evraz.com/en/company/assets/evraz-pueblo/

Steel products made on-site, there are others as well:

https://www.evraz.com/en/products/steel/

The array is about 751,000 panels.  More info here:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lightsource-bp-launches-bighorn-sola...

https://www.lightsourcebp.com/us/projects/bighorn-solar/

Your assessment was the initial problem.  People just can't imagine solar working that efficiently, but today it can.  Plenty of people, none that work in energy, told me that solar would never power the mill.  Admittedly the array is huge, but it also has room for more.  The mill company put forth continual power assurance, not intermittent peak demand request.  So yes, this array is designed to power, reliably, the mill operations.

At this time it's tests show 90-95% output so it can be safe to say solar can not fully power this mill, it needs 5-10% additional.  After the winter they expect 100% but we will see.  The primary reason I got involved was due to past solar fraud.

I won't have full numbers until June of next year but will gladly go over them with you step by step and you can check the math yourself.

I’ve been to plenty of steel mills which is why I’m a little surprised. But a couple of questions. Do they have an on-site energy storage system?  If so, what kind? I believe the article said they can get 90% of their energy usage from these panels, but these panels clearly don’t provide power for 90% of the operational hours so what are they doing to make up the difference especially when that difference could be 4 to 5 days in a row of adverse weather conditions?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/02/21 at 12:22:56

"Wonder what all the rules/regulations/restrictions,
are in force for,
the lithium mines in the United States ?"

ICLG has all the information you are looking for.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/mining-laws-and-regulations/usa

See the difference here is you wonder and like to say things while I like to know things.  So I call up a Director of Safety at a local mine and ask where regulations could be found.  Wasn't that hard.  I also don't chime into every thread, if I don't know anything about it, or would just complain instead of providing usable information, I don't comment.

"Perhaps someone who claims they know
EVERYTHING, about everything.
"

I have never claimed that but nice spin.  Again, if I don't have any information or knowledge I don't post.  Dropping in to complain about gun control on unrelated topics isn't exactly my deal.  If I can't contribute, I don't post.

"Or says they know someone that knows,
everything about everything,
could inform us ?"

I never said that, but nice spin.  I do however run a company that extracts and analyzes data as part of the process of developing safety/training and extraction programs so knowing people, and researching things is normal for me.  If we mess up, people die.  Instead of wondering and complaining, I go do things.

You've been calling me a liar for a while now but anyone that actually looks at what I provide, or talks to the people I put them in connection with find out otherwise.  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/02/21 at 12:36:07

I’ve been to plenty of steel mills which is why I’m a little surprised. But a couple of questions. Do they have an on-site energy storage system?  If so, what kind? I believe the article said they can get 90% of their energy usage from these panels, but these panels clearly don’t provide power for 90% of the operational hours so what are they doing to make up the difference especially when that difference could be 4 to 5 days in a row of adverse weather conditions?

So why I got involved was because in the past in CO solar companies have essentially made promises to provide X-amount of energy into the "grid" and failed.  But the money / tax credits used didn't have to be paid back for that failure and this created more fraud.  Solar could be placed with little accountability to provide.

This super-array is essentially the same thing, but with much more accountability.  The energy created is routed to a nearby coal fired powerplant that is going to shut down coal operations in 20 years.  So the 240 megawatts or so of generated power from the Array will end up in the grid by using the older power plant infrastructure.

This creates a fixed-rate energy plan for the Mill, and will give jobs, hopefully, to people that would otherwise be let go from the older power plant as it closed coal operations.  Since the Array can't absolutely secure 100% of the Mill's power requirements, I would say this is more of an energy offset by definition than a true independent solar setup.

Traditional power is the remaining 10%, and from what I know, backup power.  Otherwise the input to the Mill has to come from the Array.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/02/21 at 13:00:43

So the mill is not powered by the solar array. Theoretically it could be and perhaps for days at a time, but using the phrase this mill is powered by solar panels is not really correct.

You could say I’m splitting hairs but I don’t think so. In this particular situation, which is very unique, it seems like a very clever technique to solve multiple problems but to say that this is evidence or proof American industry can transition to solar and wind, which is how the articles I read present this situation, is not accurate.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/02/21 at 13:21:16

"So the mill is not powered by the solar array. Theoretically it could be and perhaps for days at a time, but using the phrase this mill is powered by solar panels is not really correct."

It is not directly powered on an "isolated grid", but it is powered by the solar array.  The panels produce power and it has to go somewhere.  The energy production of the solar panels meets 90-95% of the Mill's power requirements, and is the recipient of that power.  However storage is off-site, at the power plant, so no this isn't a closed-solar power system.  I'm not sure how you arrive at "theoretically" since the panels are providing measurable power.

If we are going to split-hairs I feel it is incorrect to say the Mill is "not powered" by the solar array.  The power is routed into the current lines or grid.  Solar energy is produced at a rate that meets, consistently, 90-95% of the Mill's power needs.  Not sometimes, all the time, which is a substantial part of this deal.

I think it is proof that a single mill can run off solar, but pro-alternative energy groups will overplay what is out here.  Taking the size of the array, which is huge, and then adding in enough to cover the remaining 10% loss is feasible, and might even be done, but they had a year so limits were put into place.  To me it's amazing this type of energy production went up in only 13 months.

One major thing to think about though is the acreage.  Solar can do the job, but the space needed is astronomical.  With the coal plant running down in 20 years, the area needs to come up with alternatives and I think a mix of solar and wind will happen, but only because there is physical space to do so.  From what I understand after this 20 year fixed power rate is over they would like to place direct lines and isolate the power system to the Mill.

« Last Edit: 11/02/21 at 14:44:18 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/02/21 at 15:30:23

Solar energy is produced at a rate that meets, consistently, 90-95% of the Mill's power needs.  Not sometimes, all the time, which is a substantial part of this deal.

That can’t possibly be true. At 5 pm in Colorado for 6 months of the year, there can’t possibly be enough electricity generated to power the mill.

Now, if you’re saying the solar array produces enough energy annually equal to 90% of the mills annual usage, that’s a different matter.

But that returns to the never solved and single largest problem in this quest for renewables: energy storage.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 11/02/21 at 16:13:34

If there's one thing solar is perfect for... it's air-conditioning.
Demand is up when the sun is up.
And what's the deal with whether or not it can fully replace conventional power generation?
If it can reduce usage 70 or 80%,... great.
Someday,.. with investment in "infrastructure" some combination of solar, wind, and hydro may make us 100% independent.... if not, what's so bad about 50%.. 60% 80%?...
Poo Pooing the whole thing is stupid.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #26 - 11/02/21 at 17:40:21

Eegore wrote on 11/02/21 at 12:22:56:
" ...   I have never claimed that ... "

Never said it was, YOU.

Eegore wrote on 11/02/21 at 12:22:56:
 " ... You've been calling me a liar ..."

And a nop, again.

Why do you believe so many things,
are about ,YOU.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/02/21 at 18:19:22

Serowbot wrote on 11/02/21 at 16:13:34:
If there's one thing solar is perfect for... it's air-conditioning.
Demand is up when the sun is up.
And what's the deal with whether or not it can fully replace conventional power generation?
If it can reduce usage 70 or 80%,... great.
Someday,.. with investment in "infrastructure" some combination of solar, wind, and hydro may make us 100% independent.... if not, what's so bad about 50%.. 60% 80%?...
Poo Pooing the whole thing is stupid.

Why? Because of people like you.
You thought an electric car battery was equal to 40 cell phones. So when some little 17 child abused kid like Greta tells you solar and wind can replace fossil fuels if Republicans would just get out of the way, you believe her because you can’t think for yourself.
That’s why.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/02/21 at 21:08:42

"Now, if you’re saying the solar array produces enough energy annually equal to 90% of the mills annual usage, that’s a different matter."

Yeah this is pretty much what goes on.  It does not provide power at night, it is stored and distributed at night which I would think most people realize about solar.  So I would say the Mill is powered by solar and then stored solar energy.  From a coal perspective it is powered by currently burning coal, and then stored coal.

"But that returns to the never solved and single largest problem in this quest for renewables: energy storage."

Right.  The issue is space in most cases.  A company called 8minute has managed to get, if large enough storage is created, a rate of $35 per MW, which in most cases is cheaper than traditional fuel.  I imagine we will start seeing more of these storage options, but this goes back to MnSprings point that Cobalt is just as bad as Coal from a mining abuse perspective.  

But what do we do about that?  Try to convince a new labor force to go into caves instead of out in the open-air?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 11/02/21 at 21:12:05

"Never said it was, YOU."

Then I was wrong.

"And a nop, again.

Why do you believe so many things,
are about ,YOU."

You have called me a liar multiple times.  Not the exact word "liar" but have indicated I am not being truthful multiple times.  Even on this subject matter where you claimed I wasn't addressing solar industry fraud.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 12:29:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Mining Coal is Bad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.