Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alternative carburetor? (Read 107 times)
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Alternative carburetor?
10/12/21 at 10:57:11

hey all!
I was just wondering as I am about to take out my stripped pilot screw. Is there an alternate carburetor to the CV?

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Re: Alternative carburetor?
Reply #1 - 10/12/21 at 11:00:20

Also I’m about to walk into a Suzuki dealership in town, I’m sure they’re going to try to rape me for the screw.  Pretty sure I need to get some jets as well because I am going through some gas. I might be getting 15 miles to the gallon 20 miles to the gallon. I just got done fooling with the paint so I’m going to take the tank off check the plug.

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/12/21 at 11:18:11

If you're getting really bad gas mileage, I'd have to assume it's worse than a jet.

Do ;you still have the stock petcock?

WWW   IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #3 - 10/12/21 at 11:28:44

No, I have the raptor set up. I got the plug on the carburetor for the vacuum. Moved  the spacer in the carburetor I forget what notch . Dyna exhaust. And what’s also weird is, sometimes when I farthest thing up I’ll have to play with the idle screw. For the First time the other day when I was riding it aggressively, she started sputtering and backfiring on me I would have to keep the throttle up to get home. Let it cool off and then it it’s been fine. But some days I’ll go to get on it and it’ll idol at 900 RPMs I’ll adjust it ride it and I’ll come to a stop sign and it’s at 1300

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/12/21 at 15:10:48

1300 rpm after adjusting to 900 (I'm assuming it was cold) is normal after it's hot but can be an indication of a bad idle mixture tune.

I'd clean the carb and check every adjustment when you put it back together.

WWW   IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #5 - 10/12/21 at 17:13:48

Yeah I just got back from about a 20 minute ride. Coming back up my street shifting from 1st to 2nd, second engaged but at the top of the band started missing. It’s due for a carb clean out anyway. And I think I found the original Suzuki part number for the pilot screw. But Suzuki dealership isn’t worth a flip. They don’t stock anything for our motorcycle. The old guy at the parts desk says I’ll have to order it to everything I ask for LOL!! “ well ain’t this a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere!“ i’m a dapper Dan man….

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/12/21 at 19:55:21

That sounds like a sticky slide.  It is vacuum operated and the bike will run really lean any time it sticks when you open the throttle.  

I had a few intermittent issues with mine.  I thought it was jetting until it stuck shifting from 4th to 5th.  I lost all power and rolled to a stop and then it just magically fixed itself.  Several days later I was leaving for work and the bike lost power shifting to second and it wouldn't go more than 10-15 mph.

My slide was showing some wear so I replaced it and it's been perfect ever since.   They aren't cheap so consider a careful cleaning and inspection first.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #7 - 10/12/21 at 21:49:36

Theduderino wrote on 10/12/21 at 10:57:11:
hey all!
I was just wondering as I am about to take out my stripped pilot screw. Is there an alternate carburetor to the CV?

This thread is DragBikeMike's carburetor shootout. Mikuni VM and the Keihin PWK are both good choices. The PWK is a little more work to install than the VM but the price makes it worth the effort.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #8 - 10/13/21 at 17:46:23

So I totally can concur with the sticky slide. However my dumb self realized that I had put a smaller fuel filter in there that was supposed to be “high flow“. So this begs the question, external in-line fuel filter or no? I did away with the fuel filter and took it for a ride no problems. I had my key in there for scale. I also did not ever have a problem with the larger filter.

300A9B40-0149-478B-B1C1-751DB8538C80.jpeg

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/13/21 at 19:23:20

Ditch those!  More problems than they are worth.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/13/21 at 19:29:15

My theory is this:  Petcock not withstanding, a stock fuel system/jetting should always provide you with decent performance.  Air filters and exhaust will have some effect on jetting but it should still perform decent enough to be reliable.  

If it doesn't run at least okay with the stock stuff in there, then you have a problem.  Go back to stock or some setting that was working okay and figure out what the problem is.  Too many people try to jet away problems instead of fixing the problems and then jet for performance.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/13/21 at 19:39:52

The stock carb has treated me well since I replaced the slide and cleaned up the jetting.  I actually went slightly leaner than most folks on here. Pretty close to stock really.

But Lance sells carb kits on here and some have had good luck with a kit from Murray's Carbs.

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #12 - 10/13/21 at 21:00:46

I appreciate it. That being said, I have a Dyna exhaust, I’ve done the spacer mod in the carburetor, raptor petcock. I think Main is a 155. I think I’m gonna go ahead and pull it tomorrow evening and clean it anyway. I guess I have to buy three or four jets and see what runs best? Because my gas mileage is really falling off here lately but it’s running real strong. And I think the whole reason I added the filter is because the guy I got it from I’d let it sit for literally a couple years lots of rust inside the tank. I put muriatic acid and BBs in it and tried to clean it out as best I could. So I put that filter in as extra back up. Plus she looks too good not to run right!

2F83ED48-8F20-4322-A49E-E542A87078EB.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #13 - 10/13/21 at 21:03:49

Seeing how I can figure out to get the darn pictures to be normal instead of sideways or upside down?

2A30F697-343A-43C2-81E9-AA6AC347FA80.jpeg

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/14/21 at 16:56:36

I have a Dyna and all the jetting mods too.   Airbox is stock. 

The guy I got it from had a 155 main and a 55 pilot in there.  It sounded cool but ran like a turd and go around 30-35 mpg.

My jetting is a 45 or 47.5 pilot and a 147.5 main IRCC.  I get around 50 mph and I'm not a small person.  I ride in temps ranging from the mid 30's up to the high 90's and the elevation ranges between 500-1100' around here.   The bike is still a little too rich when it gets up into the 90's and a tiny bit lean below 45.  It's happiest in the 50-80 degree range.

The Dyna doesn't require anything special.  The 155 is probably too much.  Probably start with a 150/50 combo and go from there.  But make sure the the jets are fully seated.  The seat for the needle is not loose and has it's o-ring.  Make sure the slide is clean and not worn.   And the diaphragm is seated properly.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:26:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternative carburetor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.