Send Topic Print
Rear Shocks (Read 535 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rear Shocks
Reply #75 - 11/09/21 at 11:41:48

85-90% under extreme braking leaves a little margin in an emergency should you hit a pothole as you are braking for your life. If the forks bottom out you could either get a significant rebound (thus loosing control) or your hands could come off the forks (again loosing control). The goal; a comfortable ride without bottoming the forks. BTW, there is a "secret" 1/2" of additional travel via the top-out spring. If you are happy with the ride of your bike, I'd leave it. But if you want to tinker (I know you do) then go from your oil height of 120mm to 115mm.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #76 - 11/09/21 at 13:26:01

DBM, My bike is converted into sort-of a solo bagger. Homemade seat sprung off the top shock mounts, a box/backrest where the rear seat was, big windshield, saddlebags made from .50 cal ammo cans(and a lot of fiberglass), tubeless wheels off a 02' Marauder, GPS speedometer, 4.5 gallon tank from a Yamaha V-Star, and front & rear Kaw drive pulleys, Daymaker LED headlight, and a bunch of LEDs made into a light bar on the back.(it's a ulgy thing for a tailight, but here in Fla. people have a hard time seeing a semi, so the more lights on the back the better!)
I travel on it a lot, best trip was Salt Lake City in 18' (was at opening day of Speedweek on the salt flats,,,VERRRRRRY COOL, for 105 degrees) Up to Western NY where I grew-up and back, and a trip or two every summer to see Moe at the KSL in western N.C.
(DON'T LAUGH) I also go to a LOT of Roller Derby bouts and tournaments all over the southeast and mid-west. That has been put on HOLD for the last 2 years cause of Covid.
This is a link to a post from Oct about the front brake and tubeless wheel conversion.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1633901114/0#0

Both have been covered before by others in more detail. I belive Dave was the first to go with the dual piston caliper from a sv650.

Front wheel & brake-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82r6vtncl0b7ba5/IMG_20211109_160337_1.jpg?dl=0

Bike-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00zwwew5a5rqq9v/IMG_20211109_160312_9.jpg?dl=0

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 11/10/21 at 02:18:55

Mike:

The SV650 brake caliper works just fine with the stock caliper and stock master cylinder..  The first one I modified I sent to MMRanch (I let him be the Guinea Pig).  He has had it on his bike for several years and several thousand miles and says it work great....he claims he can do a "stoppie" with two fingers!

I modified mine by cutting the bracket and welding on more material......Badwolf made an adapter.  Currently I am working on one and will use Badwolf's method as it requires less cutting/welding/grinding.

Here is the thread about the SV650 caliper.  Unfortunately my photos are gone.....I will repost them again in the next couple of days.

The other option is to buy the Big Brake kit offered by Shawn.  I have it on my Cafe bike and it works well and looks good.  If you do a lot of heavy braking it is the way to go......lots more surface area to help dissipate heat.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1475013866  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 11/10/21 at 20:40:43

OK Gary.  Thanks for the advice.  I will add some oil and see what happens.  BTW, my current oil level is 180mm, not 120mm.  I will try 170mm and possibly 160mm.  Progressive cautions against going higher than 150mm.  I think I will shoot for 85 to 90% over my current braking test surface which is a pretty darned rough section of poorly repaired pavement.

Dave, thanks for the info on the SV caliper and the link to the Big Brake kit.  It looks like a nice setup.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 11/10/21 at 20:51:04

Badwolf, your ride looks like the ultimate long-haul Savage.  I like the front wheel setup.  What wheel are you running out back?  It looks like a drum brake, do I have that correct?  The tubless tires are a big plus.

When you get out on the open road do you actually lean back into that Barca Lounger setup.  That seems like it would really reduce fatigue due to the wind blast.  Combined with the windshield it must be the cat's meow on the interstate.  

How many miles do you have on it?  What sort of repairs have you had to make?  Cam chain?  Piston?  Rings?  Leaks?  Original valves?  Cam?  Rockers?

What is your go-to oil?

How many miles can you squeeze out of a rear tire?

Thanks for sharing the post on the wheel & brake and the pictures.  Very cool.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #80 - 11/10/21 at 21:42:08

DBM, The back wheel is the mate to the front, a 15x3.5 tubeless.(front is 16x3.0) Drum on the back.
I lean back all the time, don't know how I rode so many miles without it.
I run Shell Rotella T4 dino 15-40, changed the cam chain at 80k(but the follower was the real wear part there, have since removed the tenisoner pawl spring, turned the plunger upside-down and shimed it to 1.5mm movement and no more plunger extension for the last 20k)
Ran Shinko 230's either 150 or latley 140/90-15's and got about 15 to 18k on them but got a good deal on a Mich. Commander 2 140/90 15, currently 6k and showing very little wear so far, but seems worse in the rain.
Had the head plug leak and lower head bolt leak.(who hasn't?)
Some clutch slippage so I put a extra steel plate in it to cure that.
132k on it now and plan to look inside the left side case again at 150.
I have a new cc follower to put in then and I think the cc will go to 200k with the pawl out of the picture.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 11/12/21 at 08:55:01

Badwolf I'm impressed.  Thanks for the info.  I could never run up the miles like you.  Your bike is hard core and so are you.  A testament to durability. Smiley

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 05:37:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.