Rear Shocks (Read 535 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Rear Shocks
Reply #60 - 10/20/21 at 23:27:08

Race sag ended up at 1.47” (37mm).  Target is 1.52” (39mm).

Static sag was too much, 1.10” (28mm).  Target static sag is .40” (10mm).

I could improve the static sag a bit by adding a .06” thick washer on top of each preload spacer.  As it is, there is only about 5mm of preload on the springs.  But that would only make the race sag worse.  I think the race sag is the important value.
« Last Edit: 10/21/21 at 09:37:44 by DragBikeMike »  

Spacer_77mm_Installed_5mm_Preload_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 10/20/21 at 23:28:46

Time for a test ride.  I took it out for a double loop.  Hit every pothole I could find, then looped around and hit it again at the highest speed I could safely manage in the prevailing traffic.  Did some major panic stops.  The ride out front was very good.  Absolutely no hard impacts transmitted through the bars.  Good control.  No pogo stick action.  Fork action was smooth and predictable.  No wobbling around in corners.  Is this what good suspension is supposed to feel like?  I don’t know, but it’s a helluva lot better than what I started out with.

Back home, the zip tie showed that the forks were now using 3.50” of travel (69%).  Well shy of the hydraulic-stop zone (85%).  I think this is the way to go.  Excellent recommendation on those Progressive 11-1153 springs Gary.

Am I on the right track here?  The front feels great.  I’m thinkin the back will enjoy the heavier springs just as much as the front did.

Any merit to revisiting fork oil weight & level if the forks are behaving?  I have noticed that changes on the front end affect the behavior of the back end, and vice versa.  Once I dial in the rear shocks, if the forks still work as good as they do now, is there any reason why I shouldn’t leave the 10W oil as-is at 180mm?

One other tidbit.  My biggest complaint about the Savage has been slow-speed handling.  I have always hated it’s slow-speed manners.  Getting caught in heavy traffic sucks.  As you crawl along you just can’t keep it going straight.  Constantly overcorrecting, flopping right & left.  Well, those one-inch longer shocks completely eliminated that little irritant.  Now, as I crawl along, it’s straight as an arrow.   That improvement alone makes this project worthwhile.

More to come.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #62 - 10/20/21 at 23:36:48

DBM
Your Bike looks great to me it looks a little more "standard " and I like that look anyway
I did grind some off the front of the lower guard not sure now where and how much
I did not touch the shifter bolt though perhaps I should check that
My bike is soooo much better now with all the little mods that have been done thanks to this site.  Softer riding, smoother running, and no belt noise AT ALL.
That rear pulley bearing mod of yours is a real winner

Hiko   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 11/04/21 at 14:30:00

Hiko I’m glad your belt is silent.  I’ve got well over 10000 miles on the duplex bearing and it’s holding up great.

I received the 115/155 springs, Progressive part number 03-1375C.  I also purchased their tool for installing the springs, part number 35-5508.  It works great.

The heavier springs were not the solution I was hoping for.  With the 115/155 springs, the closest I could come to the target sag was at the #2 preload setting.  At that setting, race sag was 28mm but there was like zero static sag???  BTW, Progressive doesn’t specify any sort of static sag value.  They just recommend you set race sag at one-third of travel (in this case 30mm).  So, 28mm is right in the zone between Gary’s recommendation of .30 and Progressive’s recommendation of .33.

With the heavier springs the rear end was now very harsh over all the minor irregularities, and it still bottomed out.  Jeeeeeeeez.   I tried the softest setting (#1).   Really couldn’t tell much difference.

To make a long story short, I feel that the most comfortable ride was achieved with the 90/130 springs set at the #3 preload position.   It seemed to be the best compromise.  The sag wasn’t right, but the ride felt best at this preload.  It was obvious that I was not going to eliminate the bottoming.  Unlike the front forks, the rear shocks seem to use up all of their travel with any spring of reasonable stiffness.  I suppose I could have tried an even heavier set of springs, but the 115/155 springs were already way too harsh under normal riding conditions.

With the Progressive front fork springs, Progressive 412 shocks, and 90/130 shock springs it’s half decent (meaning the front end is good and the rear end is decent).  If I ride the thing as intended (i.e. not intentionally trying to hit every pothole), its pretty good.  Steering is much better, and the ride is fairly comfy.

Is it reasonable to expect that one can achieve a "plush" ride with a chassis that positions the rider directly on top of the rear shock absorbers?  Like I’m sitting right on top of the shocks.

LS650_Chassis_Design.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 11/04/21 at 14:30:51

Am I wrong in my assumption that you don’t want the rear shock absorbers going hard onto the bumpers?  The front forks don’t do that.  But the rear shocks go onto the bumpers with both spring sets (standard 90/130 and heavy-duty 115/155).  Is that an indication that the harsh ride is inherent to the chassis design, or is it the result of lousy compression dampening, or both chassis and dampening?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #65 - 11/04/21 at 19:12:05

The S40 has a very heavy rear section. While I didn’t weigh it, I would believe that I removed close to 50 pounds from the rear section when I modified my bike. Having the rider sitting right above the shocks probably isn’t helpful.

One of the limitations of the shocks is the 2 inches of travel. You are asking for a lot to happen in a very short amount of travel.

The problem you are running into here Dave is that you are trying to solve two parameters at the same time, with only your ass as a gauge. The spring only has one job, support the bike and rider. Get the sag numbers as close as you can to where you like them, and then tackle the other parameter - damping. Damping determines ride comfort and handling. If the ride is too harsh (and the sag is correct) then the problem is too much compression damping. If the ride feels very “busy”, then it’s the rebound.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 11/05/21 at 01:50:32

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/04/21 at 19:12:05:
The problem you are running into here Dave is that you are trying to solve two parameters at the same time, with only your ass as a gauge.  

Mike.....not Dave.  (Although I am watching and learning). Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #67 - 11/05/21 at 04:05:42

That was an odd slip

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 11/05/21 at 18:15:38

Thanks Gary.  I appreciate your comments.  This is where I get into a pickle.

“If the ride is too harsh (and the sag is correct) then the problem is too much compression damping. If the ride feels very “busy”, then it’s the rebound.”

I’ve got a rear suspension that bottoms out over relatively minor obstructions, even when the sag is correct.  At least to me the obstructions are relatively minor.  Our roads are terrible.  For the most part, I can avoid the potholes.  It’s those sneak attacks that concern me.  The ride isn’t “busy” as far as I can tell, and it’s not harsh until the rear wheel drops into a crater.

If I had the ability to adjust the compression dampening, and I tweaked it up, I guess it might eliminate the shock going onto the bumper.  What I find amazing is that these shocks (412-4006C with 90/130 springs) are intended for a variety of Harleys.  They are supposed to be a direct replacement for a FXR or an FXRT.  The FXR is like 620 lbs, and the FXRT is like 680 lbs.  On those Harleys, I imagine that the rear end must sit on the bumpers with just the weight of the rider.   Even the heavier springs (115/155) won’t keep mine off the bumpers when I hit moderate irregularities in the road.  Is it normal for a suspension system like this to have the shocks bottom out under normal road conditions?

Let’s put this another way.  Do your rear shocks ever bottom out?  Honestly, I don’t really know if that’s normal.  I’ve never paid any attention to it.

The LS cruiser configuration pretty much puts all the rider’s weight on their butt.  My legs really aren’t supporting much.  The “sit up & beg” rider position has my back taking every hit.

There’s no question in my mind about the current performance of my suspension.  It is better than before.  So is the handling.  I suspect this will be as good as it gets with the 412s.  I’m just tryin to see what I can learn, maybe make it a bit better.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 11/05/21 at 18:17:06

What is your opinion on the front end?  Does it seem reasonable that I ended up with the oil level at 180mm?  Progressive cautions against going less than 150mm and I can see why given the thickness of the wire and extreme number of coils.  Do you see the 10W oil as a problem?  Does the preload at 5mm seem OK?  Under normal riding conditions it’s only using about 69% of available travel.  I haven’t tried any serious panic stops yet. Should I do that, and if so, should I try to do it over rough sections of road?

Am I correct in assuming that the front end should start going into hydraulic deceleration and lock at about 85% travel where it starts overlapping the “oil Lock” (Pc 11)?  If so, is that the amount of travel I should shoot for under panic braking/extreme conditions.  For instance, if I use like 90 to 100% travel under extreme conditions,  should I raise the oil level a bit?  Try and get the max travel used down to 80 to 85%?

I appreciate the help.        

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #70 - 11/08/21 at 15:41:48

I decided to do some panic stop tests.  Made sure I did the stops over long sections of poorly repaired potholes.  It was brutal.  The forks seemed to take it in stride.  No loud clunks, ran straight, return was smooth and controlled.  I kept that story about flying off the Katana in the back of my mind.  I didn't have any trouble staying on the bike.

It used 4.87" of travel, about 96%.

So Gary, what is the downside of leaving it as-is?  The front seems to be working good but is using a lot of travel.  If I throw in more oil is it going to sacrifice ride quality for the occasional panic stop?  Since I don't have any problems hauling it to a stop is there any merit to bumping up the oil level?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #71 - 11/08/21 at 17:13:29

I guess I missed it, but what front brake and rotor are you using?
I found the stock brake was so weak it would turn most stops into a panic!
I'm running a dual piston caliper from a sv650 and a 295mm rotor on a 100/90 16 up front and have renewed confidnce when it comes to stopping.
I always thought improving a bikes stopping should go hand-in-hand with increased power.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #72 - 11/09/21 at 05:07:34

Mike,

Yes, go ahead and raise the fork oil height by 10mm. That will effect both compression and rebound. You have to determine the trade off between ride comfort and suspension travel and triangulate between. There are no rules here...it's all feel.

So how much oil do you add for 10mm? The inside diameter of the fork is 33mm and you want a 10mm change; that is 8.55ml (0.289oz) for every 10mm [Volume = Pi x R^2 x Length].

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 11/09/21 at 10:48:35

Badwolf, at the risk of being run out of town on a rail, I don't find the stock front brake to be all that bad.  I spent twenty-five years riding a Harley Softail.  Now that's a motorcycle that sorely needs a front brake.  It was heavily modified and would routinely run about 135 mph through the traps at our local drag strip.  My buddies used to say that "Mike's ride didn't start until the end of the race".  Needless to say, it was a real challenge to get that sled down to a reasonable speed by the last turn-out.

The stock caliper and rotor work fine for me.  I'm retired and confine my riding to those times when traffic is at a minimum.  I'm not a canyon carver and I don't feel the need to show off.  All my WOT stuff is reserved for wide open roads in a straight line.

I am always open for improvement.  Tell me more about your brake setup.  Given the tire size, I assume you have changed your front wheel.  I have noted that new brake rotors for the Savage are very expensive so I have been searching for replacements.  Anyone know if there are any other rotors that will bolt on.  As I recall, someone has a kit to upgrade to a R1 rotor and caliper.  Any links to that?

BTW, I recall reading some sort of astronomical odometer data on one of your posts.  I'm very curious about that.  Do you think you could do a post with a picture or two.  Maybe give us a little background info on your ride.  I assume it's your daily driver.  Logging over 100K on one of these little LS650s is worthy of praise.  I'd like to get a look at Badwolf's Badboy.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 11/09/21 at 10:56:47

Gary, OK I will throw in some more oil and see what it does....but....what am I trying to achieve?

"Am I correct in assuming that the front end should start going into hydraulic deceleration and lock at about 85% travel where it starts overlapping the “oil Lock” (Pc 11)?  If so, is that the amount of travel I should shoot for under panic braking/extreme conditions.  For instance, if I use like 90 to 100% travel under extreme conditions,  should I raise the oil level a bit?  Try and get the max travel used down to 80 to 85%?"

What is the downside to leaving it as-is at 96%?  What is the upside to adding more oil?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 05:38:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.