Rear Shocks (Read 535 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Rear Shocks
10/04/21 at 17:35:30

Since completing my engine project, I have been riding my Burgman scooter a lot.  Oh what a difference.  The ride is smooth & compliant.  It's like stepping out of a Red Flyer wagon and climbing into a 67 El Dorado.  I need to do something about my Savage suspension.  

Not looking to make a corner carver out of the thing, just want to soften up the ride and give my poor spine a rest.  Any of you try the Progressive 412 shocks, or possibly the 430s or 444s.  Any comments on spring selection.  I weigh about 185 and never ride two-up.  I'm planning to install 12-inch shocks.  I'm not interested in doing some shock absorber project that involves all sorts of re-valving, mailing back & forth, etc.  Just wanna plug & play.

It defies logic that the scooter would be plush and the cruiser like riding a rigid.  Huh

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Shocks
Reply #1 - 10/04/21 at 18:10:17

intruder shocks is what you want, tall and soft.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/04/21 at 21:23:22

I fitted 11 1/2  inch White shocks SA0029014 They were inexpensive
and made a huge difference to my bike along with the 140/90 -15  Shinko reqr tyre   The bigger rear tyre corrected the speedo too as a bonus.
It geared it up by 4.2%

Hiko   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 10/05/21 at 06:48:55

Dave,

Read my suspension thread. The shock discussion starts at post #76.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1421689358/75

Post #3 in this thread talks about shock options.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004

You will not find a compliant ride with any OEM shock. They are garbage. At the very least seek out a gas (N2) shock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 10/05/21 at 10:02:38

I bought the 13” ryca shocks when they were available and me weighing 200 lbs the ride is great!
Those are not available anymore so intruder shocks is your best bet now.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 10/05/21 at 11:24:14

How are y'all keeping the belt loose enough with taller shocks?  Especially those also running the bigger Kawa front pulley?  And our belts tighten we sit on the bike or load the suspension, right?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 10/05/21 at 11:44:38

Tocsik wrote on 10/05/21 at 11:24:14:
How are y'all keeping the belt loose enough with taller shocks?  Especially those also running the bigger Kawa front pulley?  And our belts tighten we sit on the bike or load the suspension, right?

I have a chain conversion. The OEM shocks are 10 inch. I believe that 10-1/2 and even 11 inch can be supported with the limited adjustment. @Dave can chime in on the specifics of using a belt and larger pulley - and longer shocks.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/05/21 at 13:59:25

Tocsik wrote on 10/05/21 at 11:24:14:

The belt gets looser with taller shocks....as the swing arm is pulled out of being horizontal.  So...you need to allow the belt to be looser when you adjust it with the the bike leaning on the side stand.....it will tighten when you sit on the bike or hit bumps.  I run my belt pretty darn loose with the 13.5" long shocks on the Cafe and I have a modified engine - no belt problems yet.

I suggest that if you put on taller shocks.....you might just leave the belt adjustment where it was with the shorter shocks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/06/21 at 16:43:37

I've been eyeing up Hagon shocks.  Not too expensive, they have something listed for our bike, and I think they are pretty close to the stock length.  

You can usually source them through a British bike supply house.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 10/08/21 at 17:40:29

Thanks to all for the comments & suggestions.  Sorry I didn’t respond sooner but I had a lot to digest.

Versy, which Intruder shocks, the VS800 or the VS1400.  I suspect the 800.  New VS800 shocks run about $700 bucks; eBay has some for very reasonable prices but I’m not too keen on used shock absorbers.  I guess ya gotta keep your options open.  How long are the Intruder shocks?

Hiko, I googled the White shocks (SA0029014).  Looks like I would have to procure those through an outlet in NZ or Aus.  The NZ exchange rate makes those a real bargain provided the shipping to Hawaii isn’t too awful expensive.  I can’t find any info on the spring rate, length, etc.  Do you happen to know what the spring rate is?

Gary, exceedingly good posts on the suspension.  My compliments.  I have some questions for you.

You set the free sag on the forks at 10mm, which is 8% of the 127mm travel.  Is it OK to also set the free sag on the rear shocks to 8% of the travel?  For instance, the stock rear wheel travel is exactly 2.69”.  That would work out to  free sag = .215” (5.5mm), very close to your estimate.  Once I replace the rear shocks the wheel travel should increase so I want to know if 8% is a good target.

I’m baffled on the free sag guidance, if less than recommended you need heavier spring, if more than recommended you need a lighter spring.  That seems counterintuitive.  I saw similar guidance on an Aussie website.  I’m missing something.  Can you elaborate?

Please tell me if I have the procedure correct.  Step 1, determine baseline.  Step 2, establish and set correct race sag for given travel.  Step 3, check free sag to verify proper spring rate.

Tocsik & Dave, I agree that the belt tension might be a problem and I think Dave’s suggestion to stick with the adjustment established with stock shocks is a good suggestion.  I simulated geometry with stock shocks (10.6” eye-to-eye), 11” shocks, 11.5” shocks, and 12” shocks.  With 12” suspenders that belt is mighty loose.  I don’t know how folks run it with 13” shocks.

Ohiomoto, I tried to get more info on the Hagen shocks.   Dime City Cycle seems to sell them, but their website doesn’t provide any specifics.  Looks to me like I could probably call them and see what they can provided.  Currently, it doesn’t look like they have any 11” or 11.5”, and they have no info on spring rates.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 10/08/21 at 17:41:26

I’ve been working on this for a few days so I thought I would fill you all in on what I have found so far.  To start with, the stock shock absorbers are 10.6” eye-to-eye.  They have exactly 1.76” of travel.  Rear wheel travel is exactly 2.69”.  The wheel to shock ratio is 1.5:1, meaning for every 1” of shock travel the wheel travels 1.5”.  So, the rear wheel has a significant mechanical advantage over the shock.  Certainly a consideration when selecting the springs.

Any shock longer than 11” will not be a simple bolt-on.  At 11.25” the lower belt guard runs into the front drive pulley.   Not hard to trim the guard but you need to be aware of the problem.

Guard_Hits_Pulley_11_252.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 10/08/21 at 17:41:57

Even with 11” shocks that lower guard gets might close to the pulley.

Guard_Clearance_11_0.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 10/08/21 at 17:42:30

The right passenger peg is a consideration.  It gets close to the muffler with 12” shocks.  Don’t know what would happen with 13” shocks, I didn’t check.

Peg_Clearance_12_inch_shocks.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 10/08/21 at 17:43:06

We all have our own taste, but I personally think the thing starts getting ugly past 11.5” shocks.  It starts looking like a dirt bike.  Here’s what the fender clearance looks like with 12” suspenders.

Fender_Clearance_12_Inch_Shocks_RS.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 10/08/21 at 17:43:50

You can save a bunch of beer money with a tool like this.  It’s just a 3/16” rod, an old magnet from a computer hard drive, and a spring.  Now you don’t need a bunch of beer guzzling buddies to check the sag.

Sag_Rig_Setup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 05:38:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.