Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Premium or Regular for Wiseco pistons (Read 65 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Premium or Regular for Wiseco pistons
10/03/21 at 13:54:15

I installed a 95mm Wiseco in my Cafe' bike the winter of 2013.  At that time the only choices you had were DR650 pistons in 95mm, 96mm or 97mm.  I chose the 95mm as I really didn't know what to expect for reliability/durability - and I wanted the ability to bore again if things went bad.

I have been running the 95mm for the last 14,000 miles and it works great, doesn't burn any oil, runs smooth, and it provided a noticeable power increase (along with a performance cam, head porting).  For the first year I ran the stock carb, air cleaner and the exhaust system was a Dyna muffler.

For all of that time I was running premium fuel, as we all believed the compression ration was 10.5:1 - which is what Wiseco listed for the piston when used in the DR650.  DragBikeMike has done all the math and determined the pop up DR650 piston when installed in the Savage engine has a 9.2:1 compression ratio for the 94mm piston and 9.5:1 for the 97mm.....that would place my 95mm at 10.3:1 compression.

So I looked up a couple of Suzuki single cylinder bikes for comparison.  The TU250 has a compression ratio of 9.2:1 and the DR650 has a compression ration of 9:5:1 - and both are approved for using "regular" grade fuel.

So.....yesterday I went on a ride and stopped at the gas station and put 2.5 gallons of 87 octane in my Cafe' bike (a bit more than 1/2 gallon of premium was in the fuel tank at the time).........and I went for a 60 mile ride in 75 degree weather.  I was riding my standard country roads which keep the engine between 3,000 - 3,500 rpm and I seldom used more than 1/2 throttle to maintain the 50mph speed that suits the curvy roads.  I could not tell any difference in the way the bike ran and I sensed to objection from the engine for the lower octane fuel.  I did a couple of full throttle acceleration runs in 4th gear up to 4,000....and the engine sounded just fine with no hint of knocking or pinging.

So.....maybe regular fuel works fine in the Savage engine with the DR650 pistons.  I am going to give it a try until I hear the engine file a complaint!

Has anybody else running a Wiseco tried regular fuel?

« Last Edit: 10/04/21 at 14:27:55 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Premiou or Regular for Wiseco pistons
Reply #1 - 10/03/21 at 15:12:42

My Guzzi Nevada Called for premium. Mike at MPH in Houston gave me the straight up.
Sure, if you're gonna Nail it, premium..
If you're gonna go Q-tip, regular works.
If you feel it detonating, back off.
You can put premium in, run half a tank, top off with regular,,
You get the picture.
The Giggle stick plays a role in the decision.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Premiou or Regular for Wiseco pistons
Reply #2 - 10/03/21 at 15:48:41

I felt mine pinging with regular but I can run the mid grade when available, premium otherwise.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Premium or Regular for Wiseco pistons
Reply #3 - 10/04/21 at 17:24:03

This is some good info.  Great to know what the pop-top will tolerate.  Thanks for posting this.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/05/21 at 04:22:04

Versy:

I didn't hear any pinging on my easy ride.....but I did have a bit of Premium left in the tank and that may have bumped up the octane sufficiently.

And......perhaps the fuel they brew in California is a bit different than what they have in KY.  I will try again with the next fill up and see if a second tank will still run fine in my engine. In rural areas where most cars and trucks use Regular fuel - the Premium can sit in the tanks for a very long time and can be old when you buy it.

It is not that I can't afford Premium - but it is nice to know that regular can be used in a pinch........as we learned in Arkansas some rural gas stations only carry Regular and Diesel.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/07/21 at 14:21:26

octane booster is not heavy, and not cranking the giggle stick isn't that difficult.
The little two stroke oil containers don't take up much room.
If maintaining a safe oil level is a problem, that can get ya to the next stop.
If you need a dash of booster, that can help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/11/21 at 02:48:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/07/21 at 14:21:26:
octane booster is not heavy, and not cranking the giggle stick isn't that difficult.
The little two stroke oil containers don't take up much room.
If maintaining a safe oil level is a problem, that can get ya to the next stop.
If you need a dash of booster, that can help.

I am not into octane boosters.....they are expensive and it takes a lot of it to make a difference.  It costs about $0.25 a gallon to raise the octane up 3 numbers (using Royal Purple).

But.....I can see that storing a small bottle on a bike that requires Premium might help you get through a place like Arkansas.  My F800GT requires 89 octane and some stations only had 87.....a small bottle of Octane Booster could be added to bump the octane up 2 or 3 numbers - however that little amount of Octane booster will likely be worth $2.

« Last Edit: 10/11/21 at 12:06:05 by Dave »  

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 10/12/21 at 03:26:59

I don't have any of that done and only run pure gas (87) which is generally the same price as a "premium" ethanol blend. Many retailers offer a mid-grade of pure gas (90-91).

To me, having some/all of those mods is even more reason to use the best fuel.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Premium or Regular for Wiseco pistons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.