Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 8 - High Compression (Read 121 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 8 - High Compression
09/12/21 at 17:02:50

This is the eighth in a series of reports intended to document the results of progressive modifications to the LS650 engine.

Part 1 outlined the project, set the rules, and established the baseline performance values for a box-stock LS650.  You can find Part 1 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1620523526

Part 2 examined the airbox.  We improved performance dramatically with a few simple and inexpensive modifications.  It was a lot of bang for the bucks.  You can find Part 2 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1621150483

Part 3 took a hard look at the exhaust system.   We tried a Dyna muffler and a hybrid muffler (home-built).  We also tried the larger Mac header pipe.  The exhaust modifications provided significant improvements in acceleration and fuel economy.   You can find Part 3 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1623048749

Part 4 installed a performance carburetor and revisited the air filter.  The larger carb and filter extended the upper rpm limit.  Overall performance was improved.  You can find Part 4 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

Part 5 installed a new camshaft with higher lift and duration.  The results were gratifying and informative.  Big power gains were evident.  Now, with some valve overlap, the exhaust header took on a new role.  You can find Part 5 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1626391255

Part 6 installed a lighter flywheel.   The results were surprising.  Acceleration in the lower gears was improved, while top speed suffered a bit.  You can find Part 6 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1626921647

Part 7 installed a ported cylinder head.  The Stage II head flowed a lot better than the stock head.  More airflow equals more power.  It was an eye opener.   You can find Part 7 here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1627891507

Part 8 will bump up compression.  The stock compression ratio (CR) is only 8.2:1.  That’s great if you want to run low-octane fuel, but if you want more power, crisper acceleration, better fuel economy, and a tire twistin cruiser, you’ll be needin more squeeze.  Getting that CR up around 10:1 or better makes a huge difference in performance and efficiency.

What I am about to describe worked good for me.  If you decide to try this stuff on your own, you assume responsibility for the outcome.  If you don’t have the skills, don’t do it.  If you don’t understand something, STOP and get help.  Get a manual.  Read up.  Comply with ALL the safety requirements outlined in the manual.  Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting any of these modifications.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 8 - High Compress
Reply #1 - 09/12/21 at 17:05:08

Up to this point, we have increased power and economy by improving volumetric efficiency.  The exception would be the lighter flywheel (Part 6) which reduced rotating mass.  That was a mixed bag.  Now we are going to explore the benefits of improving thermal efficiency.

Bumping up the CR improves thermal efficiency by increasing the initial pressure and temperature of the charge and raising the expansion ratio.  It gets more work out of a given amount of fuel.  Hotrodder’s have used this trick since the advent of the internal combustion engine.

There are several ways to increase the compression ratio.  The standard methods are milling the head, shortening the cylinder, increasing displacement by overboring and/or stroking, or a high compression piston.  Some of those options are difficult to accomplish on the Savage.  Milling the head, shortening the cylinder, and increasing the stroke are off the table for the average Savage wrench turner.  But a high compression piston is well within the capabilities of a decent shade tree mechanic.

Lucky for us, Lancer has two different Wiseco pistons.  If you want a modest boost in performance and economy, the 9.2:1 pop-top variety fits the bill.  Its super-easy to install and provides a gratifying boost in acceleration and fuel economy.  If you are serious about getting from point A to point B in a hurry, and want to do that in a miserly way, the 10.4:1 flat-top is the piston for you.

Both pistons are available in a standard 94mm size, so if your cylinder is not chewed up or worn out, a simple deglaze should be all that’s required.  These pistons position the rings higher in the bore, so any sort of ridge is unacceptable.   I have four cylinders in varying degrees of age and abuse, and none have any discernable ridge.  But to be safe, it’s advisable to use a rigid hone and torque plates to deglaze the jug.  I suspect many folks will simply hit the hole with a spring hone and have good results.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/12/21 at 17:06:53

The pop-top has a compression height that is only .025” taller than the stock piston.  The boost in compression ratio comes predominantly from the raised pop-top that sticks up about .060” above the basic top of the piston.

Here you see the stock and pop-top pistons sharing a wrist pin.  They have almost identical compression heights, but the pop top has an area that sticks up about .06”.

Comp_Hgt_Stk_vs_PT.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 09/12/21 at 17:07:52

With the pop-top, you end up with a deck height that is well shy of the cylinder head (around .143”).  There is little risk of valve-to-piston interference problems.  Even the most aggressive cam available (Web 340b) doesn’t present an assembly problem.  That doesn’t mean you don’t have to check clearances; it simply means there is almost no risk of having to enlarge the valve reliefs in the piston.  The pop-top is pretty much a bolt-in slug.

You can see there is lots of room between the piston and the cylinder head at TDC.

Deck_Height_PT_Negative__143.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/12/21 at 17:09:13

The flat-top is a different story.  Here’s the flat-top sharing the same wrist pin with the stock piston.

Comp_Hgt_Stk_vs_FT.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/12/21 at 17:10:40

The flat-top’s compression height is .150” taller than the stock piston.  You MUST check clearances on the flat-top piston.  That sucker runs right at the top of the cylinder.  It is NOT a bolt-in part.  It requires a standard performance setup.  You must play with the cylinder base gasket and head gasket thicknesses to achieve .035” to .045” quench clearance, and you must do clay checks to make sure that all four valves have sufficient vertical and radial clearance with the piston.  Get careless with these checks and you might regret it.

The valves get very close to the piston at TDC, and the top of the piston gets very close to the cylinder head.  It’s easy to achieve a condition where an immovable object meets an irresistible force.  The quench clearance must be setup, the cam must be perfectly timed, and the valve-to-piston clearances must be checked.  No shortcuts.

Deck_Height_FT_Zero_Desired.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 09/12/21 at 17:14:11

Rather than give you a blow-by-blow on piston installation, I am going to provide links to old posts.  I just didn’t have it in me to tear it down and do all the associated work and testing for the two high compression pistons.  I had already done it once for each piston and the posts were decent, so I figured they would be good enough.

This post provides a good summary of the pop-top installation and testing.  The test regimen is not the same as the regimen I have been using on this project, but it will give you a good idea of what’s involved and what to expect.   You will notice that when I did the post, I was worried about cranking pressure.  At the time, I felt that the pop-top was better suited for street applications.  It kept cranking pressure below 200 psi.  You can disregard those comments.  I have since learned through personal experience that the Savage will tolerate cranking pressures well over 200 psi.  You can expect about 155 psi from the stocker, 195 psi from the pop-top, and about 235 psi from the flat-top.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1585106199

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 09/12/21 at 17:17:14

This post provides a thorough summary of the flat-top installation and testing.  It’s detailed and it used the same testing regimen that I currently use on this project (Evolution of a HotRod).  In addition, I still have the videos of the test runs so I was able to review and compare them.  Later on, I found that it ran better with the Keihin PWK40 (actually 38mm), so the test results I list in this current post (Part 8) are using the PWK40.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1613022271/0

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 09/12/21 at 17:18:00

If you read both of those old posts, you will see that the flat-top piston performs a lot better than the pop-top.  It vibrates less, runs cooler, gets better fuel economy, and is significantly faster.  The boost in compression combined with the tight quench work together to improve combustion and thermal efficiency.  The flat-top is way better.  The only advantage the pop-top has is ease of installation.

Let’s look at the acceleration test results.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 09/12/21 at 17:21:01

This was the setup for the 94mm pop-top engine.  Stage II ported head, Web 340b cam, 3” flywheel, stock bore & stroke, increased compression ratio (9.2:1 for pop-top), modified airbox with K&N RD-0710 cylindrical filter element, VM38 carb, Mac 1.79” exhaust header with LCGP high flow muffler.   Except for the high compression piston, Web cam, and VM38 carb, everything is the same as it was for the Part 7 ported head test.

Here are the results for the Wiseco pop-top.  As I mentioned previously, I don’t have a full set of test data because I didn’t run this setup through the same regimen.  The data shows the pop-top is faster than the stock piston, but I don’t think it’s a fair comparison without the 2nd & 5th gear results, and of course the cam is different.  The pop-top runs a lot better than these results suggest.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: N/A                  Did not record

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 4.65 seconds            0.17 seconds faster than stock piston

Third Gear 4K to 7K: 6.45 seconds            0.15 seconds faster than stock piston

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K: N/A                  Did not record

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: N/A                  Did not record

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 09/12/21 at 17:22:44

This was the setup for the 94mm flat-top engine.  Stage II ported head, Web 340b cam, 3” flywheel, stock bore & stroke, increased compression ratio (10.4:1 for flat-top), modified airbox with K&N RD-0710 cylindrical filter element, PWK40 carb (actually 38mm), Mac 1.79” exhaust header with LCGP high flow muffler.   Except for the high compression piston and Web cam, everything is the same as it was for the Part 7 ported head test.

Here are the results for the Wiseco flat-top.  It’s killer fast.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 2.41 seconds            0.27 seconds faster than stock piston

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 4.19 seconds            0.63 seconds faster than stock piston

Third Gear 4K to 7K: 5.61 seconds            0.99 seconds faster than stock piston

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K:       4.10 seconds            0.66 seconds faster than stock piston

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 6.45  seconds      0.74 seconds faster than stock piston

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 09/12/21 at 17:24:09

Fuel Economy

Fuel economy for the stock piston averaged about 55 mpg.

Fuel economy for the pop-top averaged about 63 mpg.

Fuel economy for the flat-top averaged about 71 mpg.  It was astonishing, and it wasn’t a fluke.  I logged a little over 2200 miles on the flat-top and the fuel economy never ceased to amaze me.  It is a super-efficent engine.  With either carb (VM38 or PWK40), it averaged above 70 mpg.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 09/12/21 at 17:24:55

Operating Temperatures

Cylinder head temperature (CHT) was always higher on the engines with the stock piston or the Wiseco pop-top.  With both pistons, CHT ran around 310°and would routinely approach 330°-340° CHT.   The flat-top piston always ran around 280°-300° CHT.   We’re talkin cruise, not stuck in traffic.

Oil temperature followed the trend.  The stock piston and pop-top would motor along with oil temp around 200°-220°.  The flat-top runs around 180°-200°oil temp.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 09/12/21 at 17:26:13

Noise & Vibration

Audible noise was highest on the flat-top piston.  It had this rattle at light load.  Nothing alarming.  Just a faint rattle.  The pop-top had a hint of the same rattle.  The forged pistons need more clearance and it’s not uncommon to get a bit of slap.  The fins on the air-cooled engine amplify the noise.  Inspections on teardown showed that both pistons were in perfect condition.  The noise is not a problem, it comes with the territory.
The stock piston makes the least audible noise.

The vibration levels on the stock piston and flat-top piston are very close.  That makes sense since they are almost the same weight.  The Wiseco pop-top is significantly lighter than the stock piston.  As a result, the pop-top shakes a bit.  It’s not obnoxious, but after an hour or so on the freeway you are gonna know you were riding a thumper.  Your fingers go numb.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/12/21 at 17:28:26

Durability

All three pistons held up well.  There was no evidence of wear or distress.   Oil consumption throughout all the testing with all the pistons was zero.  I never had to add oil on any of the projects.  My breather catch can never collected more than a drop or two of oil (it was usually bone dry).

The stock piston was a used eBay special.  I have no idea how many miles were on it when I installed it.  For this project, I logged 2917 miles and at least 180 WOT test pulls.  Visually it looked exactly the same as when I installed it.

Piston_Skirt_After_2917_Miles2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/22/24 at 23:45:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 8 - High Compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.