Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wider handlebars (Read 170 times)
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wider handlebars
09/11/21 at 18:20:21

I ride a 2008 with drag-like handlebars.  They are ~26" wide.  I'd like something a little wider, perhaps 30", as long as I didn't have to change cables or wiring.  Has anyone made this  change?  Thank you!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Wider handlebars
Reply #1 - 09/11/21 at 18:26:19

You shouldn't have any problems going from 28 to 30" bars.

WWW   IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/11/21 at 20:51:35

Groovy!  Any suggestions where to purchase?  (It's 26" to 30") Is there any feature of the stock bars that would limit my choice?  Thank you!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 09/11/21 at 21:09:00

Dennis Kirk, Amazon etc. EMGO 1" bars. A lot depends on how far you modify the front end. Superbars feel great but you will need to toss the stock risers.  Try google images for ideas.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/11/21 at 21:45:31

Thanks, I want to keep it simple, if possible, and just change the bars.  I  prefer a wider bar so it doesn't feel like I'm riding a Honda 50 or a kiddy scooter.  Also, it will help in windshield installation.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #5 - 09/12/21 at 18:24:21

My Bars are 31 inch I really like them but I think 30 inch would be just as good.

Hiko   IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/15/21 at 19:48:56

I settled for 29" bars.  I drilled two holes in the bars  to accommodate  the switch housing. The fact that they are straight moved the grips forward, which suits me as I have longer arms.  Now I have to re-position my Demon windshield.  Next project is to change oil with Rotella.

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/18/21 at 20:43:08

Well, I changed the engine oil and filled it with Rotella T4 15-40.  Gosh, but the drain plug was tight!  Perhaps that's why they are quite long:  people have the habit of over-tightening them!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/19/21 at 02:17:18

Some people just can't help themselves. The fear of the plug vibrating loose and dripping oil and ruining the engine clouds their brains. So they treat it like a lug nut.
You Can put a wrap around the plug and spin it out with a good heavy string.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/20/21 at 05:29:34

buster6315 wrote on 09/18/21 at 20:43:08:
Well, I changed the engine oil and filled it with Rotella T4 15-40.  Gosh, but the drain plug was tight!  

It is amazing how tight some people install the drain plug.  It just needs to be snug to prevent leaks.....it does not hold the engine into the frame!

I have never heard of anyone experiencing a drain plug coming loose on any engine - but I have read lots of threads about plugs that are too tight and the owner can't get the plug out!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/20/21 at 10:15:07

Manual torque spec is 8.5 to 13 ft lb
Yes this is why they have a torque spec table
I guess it’s just not interesting reading
There is finger tight , snug , tight/torqued
Every time you torque a bolt you are stressing the threads near maximum
Drain plugs   Snug is a good place to be

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ageshooter77
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Green Cove Springs Fla
Reply #11 - 09/22/21 at 08:07:40

I didn't like the standard near drag type bars on my 2016 s40 and wanted more of a buckhorn type more comfortable bar. After hours of looking at all the many bars I found a pair of 08 Savage bars with the original risers that were like brand new. The seller wanted 100.00 dollars plus 20.00 shipping on e bay. I offered 80.00 and he accepted it. The holes are drilled to match the s40 and the installation was simple if you review the process on Utube. I added a new pair of soft rubber and chrome grips with the throttle assist and they look and feel great. They measure 30" tip to tip.

Ageshooter77
  IP Logged
Ageshooter77
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Green Cove Springs Fla
Reply #12 - 09/22/21 at 09:01:26

Just remeasured the width. Make that 29".

Ageshooter77
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 09/22/21 at 19:34:53

I like my 31 inch bars a lot  Smiley   makes it easier to "man-handle" the machine .

So , If ya drain the oil from a hot engine , then the drain plug cools while it's out .   Then if ya put the cool steel plug [contracted] back into a warm aluminum motor ya screwed up .   Aluminum hole is expanded from being warm , the cooled steel plug is back to room temp size and ya better not tighten them up together.

I know a guy who did that same thing with a warm aluminum head and a cool steel spark-plug who bought a new head after the plug warmed (expanded) it twisted in two instead of backing out.   Aluminum changes more than steel anyway.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 09/28/21 at 22:15:06

I had wider drag bars, with less pull back on the bike for a while. They're 30" wide. They're just some generic bars sold as "HD Bars." The knurling showed between the risers but it was at least symmetrical and looked OK.

I also drilled holes for the little pins in the switch boxes. Later I just ground the pins off with a Dremel Tool. They clamp tight enough to not move. There were no issues at all with the cables etc.

I felt they gave me more leverage ... the bike didn't feel so much like it would flop into a slow corner.

Here's a photo for comparison.

DragBarComparison.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:34:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wider handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.