Send Topic Print
IDA (Read 28 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

IDA
09/01/21 at 15:37:49

Why was Katrina Bush’s fault but Ida isn’t Grandpa’s fault?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: IDA
Reply #1 - 09/02/21 at 05:29:58

There are substantial differences regarding Federal disaster response since Katrina.

Legislation proves this in S.3721 or the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006.  One of the most pronounced changes is "codified into law the key principle that FEMA may provide accelerated federal assistance and support where necessary in the absence of a specific request by a state to save lives and prevent suffering."

Bush didn't have this luxury, and many people are too caught up in "the media" and entertainment or for-profit manipulation to learn facts and use evidence to formulate opinions.

I'd say it's historical pattern to attach the President to most Federal activities even if the POTUS is not directly involved.  

Another factor of course is what "news" you choose to listen to and to what degree you assume the "news" you do not listen to is actually saying.  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/senate-bill/3721

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/02/21 at 07:08:40

The reality is the liberal news media dictates political actions in favor of one side. That’s a fact and a big factor in policy decisions within the US because one side can rely on propaganda to either provide cover or drive action.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/02/21 at 07:13:44

What I remember, and forgive me if I'm totally wrong, was Bush didn't say anything to FEMA in advance. Had he picked up the phone and called them and told them to get ready to respond, it would have been very different.
That nobody at FEMA took the initiative to call him left me with that

Whuuut?

Look on my face for a while..

That's how I remember it..

No idea if it's mostly a hallucination or something nearer correct

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/02/21 at 08:22:10

One thing people seem to forget or not even know is that, at that time, the POTUS typically responded to requests from State Governors in regards to FEMA resources.  Also guys like New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin simply waited too long to direct orders, and didn't use buses due to insurance issues (among others).  Amtrak offered to shuttle civilians out as they were rerouting equipment from the area and local officials declined.  A lot of this will still fall on the POTUS, especially when the "media" can make a big issue over the VC-25A flyover when Bush could have gone in at ground level.

I am not sure how much was "media" then and how much was procedural garbage or poor POTUS response but I imagine it was a decent mix of all three.  In 06 I didn't really watch any of the "news" and was barely starting my business so I have no verifiable archives to reference.  Actually just before Katrina hit I was out at Coronado and Bush was near, or at the area, I can't really recall the exact dates.

This report covers all changes to the post-Katrina act, Title VI of P.L. 109-295 (H.R. 5441) broken down by each revision and isolated to Congressional Acts:

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL33729.html#_Toc229817903

These changes altered a lot of how FEMA works and the authorizations the POTUS has.  The Hurricane Sandy Recovery Improvement Act, P.L. 113-2 made even more changes including FEMA was directed to update its criteria for considering whether to make a recommendation to the President for Individual Assistance declarations.

There are still hearings on this due to the politics involved in how a POTUS may or may not declare a disaster.  

List of Authorities and References:
https://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nrf/nrf-authorities.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:51:37

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › IDA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.