Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head Gasket install question (Read 48 times)
KLM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sacramento, CA
Head Gasket install question
08/31/21 at 12:29:19

Does the head gasket get installed dry?  In removing mine it seemed like it might have had a light coating of RTV on it.  

86 Basket Case 23,000 miles
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Head Gasket install question
Reply #1 - 08/31/21 at 14:51:47

If you are referring to the "stock" Suzuki head gasket, yes, it gets installed dry.

The stock Suzuki head gasket is a multi-layer steel (MLS) gasket.  The top and bottom surfaces are coated with a high-temp rubber (I believe Viton).  They also incorporate embossed beads around the combustion chamber, oil feed, and oil drain.  It is a very forgiving gasket.  Don't apply any sort of sealant.  Just make sure the sealing surfaces are clean, flat, and free of defects.

I suggest you do not apply any sort of silicone sealant to the copper sealing washers below each cylinder head nut.  It affects the stress developed in each stud (too low with silicone sealant).  If you desire sealant on your copper washers, PTFE pipe thread sealant (Permatex 59214) is a better choice.  Also, don't forget to apply a light coat of clean engine oil to the threads.  If you lubricate the threads and apply the PTFE sealant to the washers, you will develop the correct stress at the specified torque.

In summary, NO SEALANT on Gasket, light coat of oil on threads, Permatex 59214 on copper washers.

Good luck, Mike  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
KLM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sacramento, CA
Reply #2 - 09/01/21 at 11:22:05

Thanks DBM.  I must have been seeing the Viton you mentioned and thought it was RTV

I'm using the Athena gasket kit for reassembly.  

Appreciate the tip re: the washers.

86 Basket Case 23,000 miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/02/21 at 07:07:37

Head gaskets ? Don't have enough experience, so they scare me. I do have a spray can of Copper Coat,
Would that be okay on the washers?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 20:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Gasket install question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.