Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help me get my new project bike running!! (Read 125 times)
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help me get my new project bike running!!
08/28/21 at 18:52:26

Hey all,
I have recently purchased a 1997 suzuki savage as a project bike, was completely taken apart when I bought it and I have replaced the engine with a used one I bought from a motorcycle repair shop. Having some issues with getting it running, the engine was supposed to have ran with no issues when taken out of the last bike but I cannot get spark, I have replaced the cdi and starter relay. How do I test if the stator is bad without the bike running?

IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help me get my new project bike running!!
Reply #1 - 08/28/21 at 18:54:29

I have also tested the ignition coil with an ohm meter and it read as good and the battery is brand new and charged, all my grounds are good and the starter will turn but no spark. The decompression system is off the bike which I was told should not effect it but the decomp control is still there as the starter will not turn over when I take it off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/28/21 at 20:21:02

joshbur237 wrote on 08/28/21 at 18:52:26:
How do I test if the stator is bad without the bike running?

The bike will run w/out the stator as long as the battery is charged... so that's not your problem.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/28/21 at 20:23:39

joshbur237 wrote on 08/28/21 at 18:54:29:
I have also tested the ignition coil with an ohm meter and it read as good and the battery is brand new and charged, all my grounds are good and the starter will turn but no spark. The decompression system is off the bike which I was told should not effect it but the decomp control is still there as the starter will not turn over when I take it off.

So you push the start button and what happens?
We gotta go thru this step by step to find out what's wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/28/21 at 20:38:36

verslagen1 wrote on 08/28/21 at 20:23:39:
joshbur237 wrote on 08/28/21 at 18:54:29:

So you push the start button and what happens?
We gotta go thru this step by step to find out what's wrong.

The clutch and neutral switches were previously bypassed but I fixed that, In neutral with the clutch in I hit the start button and you can hear the starter solenoid clicking and  the starter whirring, engine not turning over no thump. With the spark plug out and grounded to the engine there is no spark.

IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/28/21 at 20:45:53

The cdi was from a 2001 bought it off ebay from a reputable seller, he said it was taken off a running bike with only 2000 miles. New starter solenoid off Amazon as it had the wrong one wired on when I got the bike. The engine was taken apart when I got the bike and I bought a replacement one out of a 1998  from a motorcycle repair shop was said to run no issues. I believe all my grounds to be good. I also cleaned most all electrical connections with contact cleaner and replaced both the 20 amp fuses and the spark plug properly gapped

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/28/21 at 21:35:41

joshbur237 wrote on 08/28/21 at 20:38:36:
The clutch and neutral switches were previously bypassed but I fixed that, In neutral with the clutch in I hit the start button and you can hear the starter solenoid clicking and  the starter whirring, engine not turning over no thump. With the spark plug out and grounded to the engine there is no spark.

Ok, starter whirring, engine not turning...  did you mean that?
That would mean that the starter clutch is in backwards.

If the engine is turning but not firing, check you have power the TCI (ig box) and the coil.

« Last Edit: 08/29/21 at 11:01:55 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/29/21 at 09:56:45

verslagen1 wrote on 08/28/21 at 21:35:41:
Ok, starter whirring, engine not turning...  did you mean that?
That would mean that the starter clutch is in backwards.

If the engine is turning but not firing, check you have power the TCI (ig box) and the coil.

Yes starter solenoid clicks, starter whirs. Nothing else engine doesnt turn over. So how do I turn the starter clutch back around. Very disappointed to hear it could be something wrong in the motor itself since I was told it had no issues at all from the shop I got it. Would that prevent the bike from making spark? Still have no spark.

« Last Edit: 08/29/21 at 11:03:07 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/29/21 at 11:18:32

joshbur237 wrote on 08/29/21 at 09:56:45:
Yes starter solenoid clicks, starter whirs. Nothing else engine doesnt turn over. So how do I turn the starter clutch back around. Very disappointed to hear it could be something wrong in the motor itself since I was told it had no issues at all from the shop I got it. Would that prevent the bike from making spark? Still have no spark.

I involves pulling the rotor and you'll need a special tool to do that.
SO let's take 1 more step to confirm this is the problem.
Remove the starter and bench test it.  Note the direction the spindle rotates.
Remove the sparkplug (make sure it clean up there, you don't want any dirt falling into the cylinder).
If you put your fingers in where the starter came out, you'll feel the gear that the starter engaged with.
Put it in a high gear and push the bike forward to rotate the engine.  You might want a friend to do this for you.
While you push it forward, the gear should not turn.
Now pull it backwards, the gear should turn.

If it does turn while going forward, the starter clutch is in backwards.

WWW   IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/02/21 at 16:13:03

verslagen1 wrote on 08/29/21 at 11:18:32:
joshbur237 wrote on 08/29/21 at 09:56:45:

I involves pulling the rotor and you'll need a special tool to do that.
SO let's take 1 more step to confirm this is the problem.
Remove the starter and bench test it.  Note the direction the spindle rotates.
Remove the sparkplug (make sure it clean up there, you don't want any dirt falling into the cylinder).
If you put your fingers in where the starter came out, you'll feel the gear that the starter engaged with.
Put it in a high gear and push the bike forward to rotate the engine.  You might want a friend to do this for you.
While you push it forward, the gear should not turn.
Now pull it backwards, the gear should turn.

If it does turn while going forward, the starter clutch is in backwards.

So I found alot of metal shaving upon changing the oil filter, so I decided to pull the bottom end covers off before doing anything else. Found quite a bit of damage under the clutch cover,have yet to pull the other side off. Looks like I've been sold a bad engine I drove almost 8 hours round trip to get the thing too Angry  Still gotta take the other side cover off to see the damage there. What's this damage looking like??

Snapchat-84516392.jpg
  IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/02/21 at 16:14:24

Snapchat-1597318400.jpg
  IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/02/21 at 16:15:06

Snapchat-293152030.jpg
  IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/02/21 at 16:16:00

Snapchat-250617200.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/02/21 at 16:52:08

The clutch throwout lever on the inside of the cover has a nasty habit of breaking in 2 when HD springs are put in. One of those pieces probably got caught up in the basket.

WWW   IP Logged
joshbur237
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/02/21 at 17:07:42

verslagen1 wrote on 09/02/21 at 16:52:08:
The clutch throwout lever on the inside of the cover has a nasty habit of breaking in 2 when HD springs are put in. One of those pieces probably got caught up in the basket.

Yeah I'm thinking this is my issue... is my whole flywheel gone???Even with the spare bottom end I have...is this engine done?

received_376336187428818.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 04:56:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me get my new project bike running!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.