Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exasperated and frustrated!!! (Read 175 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Exasperated and frustrated!!!
08/24/21 at 19:16:30

Both bikes are down. The honda has the recurring sticky float so that I suspect bowl may be bad. Did not want to tear into that but I guess I am gong to have to do it.

The S40 has some sort of electrical problem. The battery is indicating 12.77 volts but I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key, not a single light turns on, not even a click from the starter. No big deal. I figured I had about 45 minutes of light left so I start to take off the seat so I can see what might be wrong. Well, the screw at the back of the seat by the tail light is stripped. Battled with it even after it got dark but to no avail. If anybody has any ideas of a simple way to remove that screw please share. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exasperated and frustrated!!!
Reply #1 - 08/25/21 at 03:52:10

Springman:

If you are talking about the screw at the back of the seat......I believe it is an allen head socket screw.  Some might recommend drilling with a left hand drill - I have never owned a left hand drill so I suggest you try one f these methods.  The head is very shallow - so trying this kind of tool may help.  You may be able to find it locally at a hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Stripped-HassleFree-Hardness-63-65hrc/dp/B08...

The other method would be to just use a right hand drill and drill through the center of the screw and use a more common type EZOut or or similar extractor tool.  The screw is 6mm I believe - so you are going to need a pretty small drill and extractor.

And finally you can drill the head off.  Use a drill just a bit larger than the 6mm screw.  Once the head is off the tension is no longer on the screw and it likely will come out far easier.

When you replace it don't make the screw really tight - just snug.  The screw and allen head are small - they can't take much torque.

For the electrical issue on the Savage - check the ground cable and also the fuses.  You can do that with the seat still on.

For the Honda - it sounds to me like you need to take the carb apart.  The float could be damaged, the needle/seat might be damaged, or it could just be dirt or sticky goo in the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 08/25/21 at 06:41:35

Too frustrating to have both ponies sick.  I've planned on replacing that rear screw with a wing bolt or thumb screw but never got around to it.  Already replaced it once due to stripping.

You could try the old vise grip trick to grab the head of that screw.  A pair of channel locks sideways on the vise grips gives extra torque.  I bought a pair of Engineer screw removal pliers a while back and they've proven useful for stuff like this.  Similar to Vampliers
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-International-VMPVT-002-6-Vampliers-Extra...

engineer_pliers.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/25/21 at 07:17:53

Thanks guys. Those are good suggestions.

Dave, I thought I had to take the seat off to see the fuses. I guess I need to take a better look. I checked the ground cable down by clutch linkage and it looked fine but will recheck.

Yep, with the Honda I suspect a faulty float but it could just be really dirty. It is just a job I do not want to take on. I will have to deal with it somehow though. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/25/21 at 07:47:42

No lights, check the connectors under the tank for the hand controls.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/25/21 at 09:09:03

Have you considered JB welding an Allen wrench in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/25/21 at 12:09:22

You can slot the head and use a flat blade.
You can work the metal back where it came from with a good pin punch and clean up the pocket for the allen wrench. Make sure you have the best fitting, quality allen wrench
Load it up with a deep socket and extension, like a cheater pipe and tap it with a punch, don't straight up hammer it.
The pin punch in the bottom of the pocket and smack it sharply a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/25/21 at 12:23:26

Thanks for all the suggestions. JOG, yours is the one I was thinking of just because I believe I have the tools to do it, so no extra cash outlay. The only cash outlay will the the screw that will replace the buggered up screw which will not be an allen head.

As for the electrical issue thanks Versy, I definitely want to check all the wiring and fuses under the seat and tank. I'm sure once I have the seat and tank off it will be obvious what the problem is. At least I sure hope so.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/27/21 at 07:59:02

Antiseize is good to have.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/27/21 at 09:13:04

I got the float unstuck again. I removed the drain screw from the bowl. Shot carb cleaner through there and let it drain a few times. Blew air into the bowl. How many psi? I don't know, just what ever my cheeks could generate. Let the bowl fill up and turned the petcock to the off position. Ran the engine to empty the fuel in the bowl. Let gas into the bowl again. Drained the bowl. Blew more air into the bowl. Closed up the bowl. Put about four ounces of Berryman's into the tank. And now to see if it stays working properly.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/27/21 at 09:14:53

JOG. I do have anti seize. I guess I should use it. ; Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/27/21 at 13:24:07

You don't HAVE to.. You can keep it and, well,, get shafted once in a while.
Stir it up,, because it's been sitting. Just a little bit is plenty. A thumbnails worth will go to your elbow.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/11/21 at 20:08:02

I finally got a chance to work on the bike. I tried slotting the head of the screw but each time I put the screwdriver on it to turn it I just kept shaving metal off the screw head. Frustrated I drilled the head off which of course created another problem by leaving the rest of the bolt in the nut. Will deal with that later.

I removed the seat, removed and replaced both fuses. Turned the key, the light came on, put in neutral, engaged clutch and pressed starter button and all electric goes out again. I remove both fuses again, and the exact same thing happens. I remove and replace both fuses again (fuses are fine) and this time nothing, no light, horn, nothing. I check all the connectors and wiring that I can see and I cannot see anything wrong/bad. At this point I have not removed the gas tank as it is nearly full and was hoping would not have to remove cuz it would be getting dark soon. So taking the tank off is the next logical step for me but any suggestions/ideas are much welcomed. Thanks. Oh, the battery is reading 12.70 volts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/11/21 at 20:28:39

remove both fuses again, and the exact same thing happens. I remove and replace both fuses again (fuses are fine)

It's Not blowing the fuse?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/11/21 at 20:34:11

Now is the time to add a couple of drops of pen oil on that headless screw.

Could be a couple of things, could be a short or it could be the starter.
If it's a short, you need to check every wire.  one of these will eliminate replacing fuses every time you test something.
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp-automotive-fuse-circuit-tester-67724.html

Now to check the starter, you need to make sure the piston is not on the compression stroke.  Take off the timing port and put a wrench on the crankshaft and turn it one half turn.  If it's the compression stroke it'll be hard and you'll hear it leaking.  If it was the compression stroke, you probably will need to tighten the decomp adjustment a little.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 08:31:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Exasperated and frustrated!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.