Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning melted stuff off tailpipe (Read 53 times)
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cleaning melted stuff off tailpipe
08/21/21 at 16:37:08

Hi!

I'm quite sick of burning my pants on my tail pipe. Not only has it left lots of holes in my pants but its left the pipe looking nasty.

Does anyone have any pro tips for cleaning melted gunk off chrome?

Ive since ordered a factory muffler cover but it arrived today and i've realized its not going to cover the majority of the pipe so I will likely continue to burn my pants / melt things onto the pipe.

Does anyone have a novel solution? The only thing I can think of, is to get a custom heat plate / muffler cover made. Would love to hear what solutions others have employed!

IMG_20210821_144423_2.jpg
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Cleaning melted stuff off tailpipe
Reply #1 - 08/21/21 at 22:03:41

You will see people recommending things like Blue Job, oven cleaner, and other things thought the one that I was most impressed with was the heavy duty magic eraser. It took some elbow grease, but dampen the magic eraser and it'll clean the gunk off the pipe without scouring it to death.

As far as how to stop the melting, good question.  I bought a Harley dyna (as many here do) for my bike and the guy gave me two of the small heat shields that clamp onto the main muffler and that has helped me. Dont get me wrong...It still gets warm on the shield but as long as you're moving air between the shield and muffler (moving...not sitting...) it stays cool enough to not melt things.

IMG_20160511_080557_2_006_001.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/22/21 at 05:34:46

I use Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner:

https://faultless.com/product/faultless-iron-cleaner/

Works well for me.

Ride the bike and get the muffler HOT.  Get an old terry cloth towel.  Fold it up a bunch of times.  Squirt the goop on the towel and SCRUB!  It will make horrible hissing sounds, and scorch the towel.  Fold it over to an unused area, repeat.

Glad to see you here instead of at mechanics that don't know the bike.  The people here KNOW the LS650 like no others.

And, when you get to it, you really should post your epic trip around the "Lower 48" in the Cafe on the "Savage Miles Hall o' Fame..."

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 08/22/21 at 08:08:43

This has worked for me every time.
Get a few brand new single edge razors. Using a very low angle, shave off the plastic. Don't flip the blade over or it will scratch. Keep shaving til the blade gets dull, then start with a new one. When most of the stuff is off, use a chrome polish such as SemiChrome and polish the pipe.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 08/22/21 at 14:05:21

I use the same technique as youzguyz but I use cheap oven cleaner.  You don't want to spray it directly at the bike as it's not good for paint.  But it's cheap and it works a treat.  Learned it from an old scooter forum and it's taken the melted plastic from my rain pants off and melted plastic from a grocery bag that blew up on a ride.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 08:51:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cleaning melted stuff off tailpipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.