Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY clutch repair (Read 55 times)
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DIY clutch repair
08/20/21 at 15:04:53

I recently purchased a 96 LS650 Savage with 15,000 miles on it.  The clutch is slipping badly.  I've tried adjusting the cable free play to no avail.  Only very light pressure on the clutch lever will also make the clutch slip. When you grab a handful of throttle the clutch will slip in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.  Also at 70 mph in 5th it starts to slip. Don't know if the friction plates are worn that badly at 15,00 miles or if some PO used motor oil with friction modifiers in or what. Anyway, I have a new set of friction plates on order as well as a set of new EBC clutch springs.  I've done several clutch rebuilds on Honda FT500 Ascots so I'm familiar with the Japanese style clutch packs.  Anything unusual with the LS650 that I should be aware of?  I take it that the exhaust has to come off for access to the clutch cover.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  THANKS!!  wiguzziman   Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: DIY clutch repair
Reply #1 - 08/20/21 at 23:03:50

ok, so not familiar with honda ascot clutches so can't say it's the same or not.

when you pull the pack, there's a gear on the back side that drives the oil pump.  and when you slide it off a pin will fall out.  don't loose it, don't drop it in the case.

the throw out rod in the center should be sticking out of the pack by 12 to 12.5 mm.  if it sticks too far out, when you bolt the cover back on it can depress the clutch and you won't go very far unless your name is fred flintstone.

once you have the cover back on, check operation before you fill it with oil and have to drain it again cause it don't work.

you'll probably find that all the disks are within tolerance as they don't wear much.  the back wall of the basket may be worn causing the slipping, or it could've been the adjustment or a worn throw out rod or or or.

take a look at the lever on the case, when you pull up on it, it should be between 2 marks on the case.

WWW   IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/21/21 at 14:48:37

Verslagen1,
Thanks for the reply about the clutch rebuild.  I readjusted the clutch arm on the clutch cover as per your suggestion and took the bike out for a ride.
Still slipping in 4th and 5th gear, but not quite as badly.  Still will come apart for new fiber plates & springs when they arrive.  Also have to go in there to install one of your updated cam chain adjusters.  Very nice modification, by the way.
I've also rejetted the stock carb using one of Lancers jet kits.  #55 pilot, up from #52 (about 2 turns out on the mixture screw), #152.5 main jet, up from #147, and replaced the white spacer on the jet needle with 3 #4 washers.  I've also installed a K&N filter in the stock air box and opened up the area adjcent to the air filter on the air box cover. The bike came equipped with a Supertrapp muffler and I'm running 9 disks. Motor runs strong now, not like some choked up, wheezing sewing machine.  Backfire on the over run is 99% gone as well.  Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help and advice!!  Wealth of information on the LS650 Savage here.
wiguzziman

IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/29/21 at 09:03:51

Interesting follow up on my DIY clutch repair.  Finally got the parts for my clutch re-build (fiber plates & new EBC clutch springs).  So on Saturday (08/28/2021) I went to work on the bike. I soon found out that some PO had also had the clutch cover off to apparently do a clutch re-build as well or whatever. Gobs and strings of gasket sealer all over the clutch cover and on the crankcase mating surfaces, because they reused the clutch cover gasket. Hopefully none of it got loose and into the oil galleys in the motor (no signs of that so far).  Got my clutch hub holding tool in place to get the clutch hub nut off.  It was really tight, but finally came loose.  I doubt that whoever had it part last time used a torque wrench on the nut (only suppose to be torqued to 50.5 FT lbs).  When I went to remove the clutch holding tool it seemed like one of the 4 spring stands was loose.  Sure enough one of the stands had broken off. Sad  I couldn't believe that I had done that (not my first clutch rebuild)!!  Anyway after getting everything off and upon closer inspection I discovered that the spring stand had been partially broken when whoever was in there before worked on the clutch. There was only a very small area that indicated a fresh break.  The rest of the area on the bottom of the stand was dark indicating that it had been broken for some time.  After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that this was most likely the cause for my clutch slipping.  There was enough "give" in that partically broken stand to keep the clutch from fully holding.

Sorry for the long story, but a new pressure plate is on order, and I also installed one of Verslagen1's updated/modified cam chain tensioners while the cover was off.  My original one was nearing the end of it's service life, but I cought it before it failed completely.  Now to "hurry up and wait" for parts!! Cheesy. wiguzziman

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 03:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY clutch repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.