Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ticking noise when engine is warm (Read 41 times)
Jojoswift
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ticking noise when engine is warm
08/20/21 at 10:13:12

Long story short, 2012 s40 (first bike ever). 5600 miles, stock from what I can see. Bought it in May of this year, rode it a couples time, gave it an oil change. Once riding it home from work it shut off on me 4 times (I think that was due to old/bad gas or dirty carb). So took out the carb and cleaned it best I could, put in some fresh gas and it hasn't died on me since. Within the last few weeks however, a ticking noise developed from the engine. Messed with the valves (incorrectly....) and made the noise worse so promptly shut it off. Did more research into how to properly find TDC and adjusted the valves again. Now the noise is gone or barely perceptible upon cold start. After a few miles of riding, noise is back again. Too quiet to really hear when riding, but can be heard when bike is idling. I also checked the cam chain adjuster and it doesn't look as bad as some I've seen on here (I will try to attach a photo of it but first time posting so bear with me).

Any thoughts as to what this could be and how it can be fixed are greatly appreciated!

My thoughts are maybe I screwed something up when I incorrectly messed with the valves the first time (but if the noise is gone upon cold start that doesn't quite make sense to me).

Maybe the valves need to be tightened a bit more? I used feeler gauges and was pretty confident I got them within spec, or at least pretty darn close. (Also doesn't metal expand when heated up, so wouldn't the valves become less loose when bike is warm?)

I see that a certain kind of oil is strongly recommended, I put in Lucas semi-synthetic 10w-40. Could this cause the engine to be unhappy?
Bike still runs and rides, though I've been hesitating to use it much due to the noise. Is it bad for the bike to be ridden when it sounds like this?(I will try to attach videos of it cold and warm for comparison).

Please let me know if photos are not viewable! (I will try to post a second time once I figure out video) Thanks!

IMG-4028.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ticking noise when engine is warm
Reply #1 - 08/20/21 at 10:16:42

Valves
Better a little loose than too tight.
It should tick, it ottsta sound a little like a sewing machine, with attitude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/20/21 at 11:02:43

A little ticking, especially when hot is fine.
Air-cooled engines have wider tolerances than water -cooled to allow for heat expansion and no water jacket to muffle the sound.
The beast breathes... It's ALIVE!...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jojoswift
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/20/21 at 11:27:40

https://youtu.be/3bO91vOjCAA

https://youtu.be/4f44FLVuAVc

These should be working links to a quick youtube clip of the engine running warm and cold. The one titled 'good sound' is the engine when it is just started, noise is slightly noticeable when the camera is on the left side of the engine.

'Bad sound' is after it has been ridden a couple miles, and the sound is quite prominent.

My main concern is if it is harming the bike to ride when it sounds like this??

Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/20/21 at 11:36:58

Where are you located? Is it hot?
Mine sounds like that after a workout.  A lot.
I think yer' fine.

IP Logged
Jojoswift
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/20/21 at 11:46:50

Located in eastern Connecticut, this time of year weather is around 80, cool days are 70s, hot ones are 90s.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/20/21 at 13:46:27

Not that hot, but I still think you're fine.
Let some of the other experts give their two cents before taking my word but these engines take some abuse heat wise.  the worst you can do is idle for long periods.  That'll blue the pipe. (no harm, just blue)
And noise is just part of the bargain in a big air-cooled single.
Ride more,... worry less... Smiley

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #7 - 08/20/21 at 14:45:46

these engines sound a bit like a sewing machine, your gonna hear the roller bearings, tappets and other noises.  make sure  you have oil with zddp in it that is wet clutch safe. rotella t4 or t6 are kind of the go to oil it seems and can be had at your local walmart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ticking noise when engine is warm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.